Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rich Rebuilds Electrified Garage repairs Model 3 at $15K+ discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are agonizing over insurance with the assumption that it would have helped him. The primary purpose of insurance is to generate income for the CEO and it's only required for leases & loans so that cases like this won't create any unpleasant conversations for him on the back nine.

Insurance is nothing more than a high-interest line of credit whose burden is shared amongst an indeterminant number of people. Your debt might get spread across thousands of people, or you might pay it all off yourself plus a 20% tip for the CEO. There's no way to know because even though the govt requires all consumers to purchase insurance, the carriers have no corresponding requirement to publish their price schedules.

And no, you can't just cash out and jump to another carrier. Like any other credit agency, they all share your data with each other to maximize the effectiveness of their price fixing customer satisfaction scheme.

People are allowed to repair their vehicles, since Electrified Garage is not a Tesla Service Center and they made repairs to the battery. The issue as I see it is the manner in which the repairs were made. Tesla’s position was the battery should be replaced and Electrified Garage modified a part using a brass fitting. I don’t own the car, but if I did my position (and I’m sure Tesla’s) would be that the value of the vehicle has been reduced significantly, by non approved repairs.
Before turning in a lease vehicle, it requires an end of lease inspection. This process evaluates the mechanical, physical appearance and condition of the vehicle. Having a non-approved repairs can contractually mandate the lessor to the cost of return the vehicle to a state that meets the manufactures standards.
Most of you remember when owners of “salvaged” Tesla’s started posting their supercharging success on YouTuber. Shortly after these postings, Tesla eliminated their supercharging access. By posting these repairs on YouTube you’ve just put a target on this guy and his leased vehicle.
Sometime it‘s best to keep your mouth closed……..

People are allowed to repair their vehicles, since Electrified Garage is not a Tesla Service Center and they made repairs to the battery. The issue as I see it is the manner in which the repairs were made. Tesla’s position was the battery should be replaced and Electrified Garage modified a part using a brass fitting. I don’t own the car, but if I did my position (and I’m sure Tesla’s) would be that the value of the vehicle has been reduced significantly, by non approved repairs.
Before turning in a lease vehicle, it requires an end of lease inspection. This process evaluates the mechanical, physical appearance and condition of the vehicle. Having a non-approved repairs can contractually mandate the lessor to the cost of return the vehicle to a state that meets the manufactures standards.
Most of you remember when owners of “salvaged” Tesla’s started posting their supercharging success on YouTuber. Shortly after these postings, Tesla eliminated their supercharging access. By posting these repairs on YouTube you’ve just put a target on this guy and his leased vehicle.
Sometime it‘s best to keep your mouth closed……..
I get your point here but I have a couple of things here to fork. First from the bottom, Tesla should never have the right to pressure you into shutting up by taking away fair supercharger access and a fairly earned roadster from sales. All because you attempt to repair a car otherwise for an inflated repair or a car headed for scrap…. Sustainability anyone? Let alone use this video in the future for anything like that for the owner Or should we add the co2 from bitcoin to each car made? ahm I digress. As for the value of a car that is not a McClaren or Redbull F1 having it repaired by a 3rd party garage would not effect its market value when you come to sell it or via company. That is BS.

As for the value of a car that is not a McClaren or Redbull F1 having it repaired by a 3rd party garage would not effect its market value when you come to sell it or via company. That is BS.
Simply using a 3rd party garage? No. But a repair done using nonstandard, unapproved parts and methods? Maybe.

Imagine that car goes to auction after the lease is up, and you bought it … and then you found a leaking fitting there because the repair wasn’t done right, and now you have a $15k battery replacement on the horizon? That’d be not just infuriating, but lawsuit type material.

Many angles to this thing…. I still think the insurance company has some culpability for allowing the lessee to drop comprehensive coverage.

Simply using a 3rd party garage? No. But a repair done using nonstandard, unapproved parts and methods? Maybe.

Imagine that car goes to auction after the lease is up, and you bought it … and then you found a leaking fitting there because the repair wasn’t done right, and now you have a $15k battery replacement on the horizon? That’d be not just infuriating, but lawsuit type material.

Many angles to this thing…. I still think the insurance company has some culpability for allowing the lessee to drop comprehensive coverage.
Yes I see your point and the solve would be to make 3rd party parts and fix guides like this. The full tilt would be if every replaceable component was microchipped and the car would not run after any 3rd party repair…. A qualified car mechanics work is more than likely up to standard or better than the original part as they have seen it before and used that experience to do an appropriate fix. This I doubt would effect anything unless Tesla removed the entire warrenty or refused to allow it to charge which are guns that have been fired Unfortunately. Comes to the sale and like in this case the work has been done by an experienced tech and well explained I doubt as we compare this to all the other car sales will slack the price at all. Now we see how long the fix lasts which is something to be open about for other future use too.

Used cars are sold As Is. Used car dealers may choose to offer a warranty but they don't have to. Legal protections for used car purchasers vary from state to state but generally aside from a one week return period, assuming your state has that requirement in it's laws, a buyer of a used car is SOL if it disintegrates once it's outside of the staturatory return period which might be a week is some states and nothing in others. That said just because used car purchasers don't have any rights that doesn't apply to the holder of the lease. They do have rights and if an unapproved repair is performed on their car, remember it's not the lessee's car it's the leasor's, they can demand compensation which in this case is the $16K for a new battery.

Tesla should never have the right to pressure you into shutting up by taking away fair supercharger access and a fairly earned roadster from sales. All because you attempt to repair a car otherwise for an inflated repair or a car headed for scrap….
I don't think that is why Tesla took away his referral awards. I think it had to do with their "bad faith" clause in the referral program and him posting videos like the one about how difficult/long it was to charge with his kid having a fit and the business owner where he was "stuck" trying to charge him an arm and a leg to charge. Sure, it was just supposed to be funny, but Tesla probably saw that as a "bad faith" posting.

Reactions: CertLive
I don't think that is why Tesla took away his referral awards. I think it had to do with their "bad faith" clause in the referral program and him posting videos like the one about how difficult/long it was to charge with his kid having a fit and the business owner where he was "stuck" trying to charge him an arm and a leg to charge. Sure, it was just supposed to be funny, but Tesla probably saw that as a "bad faith" posting.

The one thing that might dissuade me from buying another Tesla is their history of poor customer service and downright arrogance such as this.

Hahaha….

Not hearing true story first hand of course but our insurance experts here should know that this would not be a comprehensive loss. If you run over an object it is your bad and therefore a collision loss. The object must be moving to be comprehensive. Typically the challenge with insurance reps is getting them to accept such a loss as comprehensive because they are motivated to call everything collision until proven otherwise. I wonder if the story is different or the insurance rep pushed the loss toward comprehensive knowing the driver had no such coverage.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I get your point here but I have a couple of things here to fork. First from the bottom, Tesla should never have the right to pressure you into shutting up by taking away fair supercharger access and a fairly earned roadster from sales. All because you attempt to repair a car otherwise for an inflated repair or a car headed for scrap…. Sustainability anyone?.
Look at it differently: should Tesla the power company allow salvaged cars to connect to their high voltage high power charging stalls? Is there any certification, check or proof the connected battery pack and wiring are in order to support the supplied power? Is there a failsafe to protect the charging stall or the car from damage if the wiring or connections are not in order?

I don't have an answer to those questions. I only know we've moved on from blaming fuel stations if a car catches fire. How long before we stop blaming charging stalls if a BEV catches fire?

Look at it differently: should Tesla the power company allow salvaged cars to connect to their high voltage high power charging stalls? Is there any certification, check or proof the connected battery pack and wiring are in order to support the supplied power? Is there a failsafe to protect the charging stall or the car from damage if the wiring or connections are not in order?

I don't have an answer to those questions. I only know we've moved on from blaming fuel stations if a car catches fire. How long before we stop blaming charging stalls if a BEV catches fire?
I'm wondering what Tesla is going to do when they start letting non-Tesla cars charge as Superchargers. Many of those cars will potentially be salvaged vehicles too with many of these same questions. Except Tesla can't just remove Supercharging access from a vehicle they don't have that kind of control over.

Reactions: DareRekt
I'm wondering what Tesla is going to do when they start letting non-Tesla cars charge as Superchargers. Many of those cars will potentially be salvaged vehicles too with many of these same questions. Except Tesla can't just remove Supercharging access from a vehicle they don't have that kind of control over.
Tesla has never chosen something and then stick to that decision. They might still review this decision later on.

Good Morning Everyone,
Adam at the Rockville, MD Service Center was kind enough to send two undercarriage photos.

From what I understand, what you're looking at (below) is a replaceable plastic coolant connector. In my case, it appears to be damaged - but apparently the battery-side fitting is also broken. My understanding is that this part extends into the battery, and is therefore inaccessible and non-repairable.

View attachment 422666

I was also informed that keeping the damaged pack was not an option. While the term "core charge" was never used, I was told that $15,000 price assumes the old pack is returned to Tesla. In Adam's words, "Tesla wants all the HV battery packs back".

Will update the thread as I know more. Thanks everybody.
There's youtube video here that shows battery side coolant connector damage and how a shop used a brass NPT nipple to fix it, staving off a 16k battery replacement