Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rich Rebuilds Model X discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so what are the chances the service person or detailer just showed pictures of another Model X to save their asses from being fired?
I feel like it’s pretty high up there.

Not necessarily defending rich, but putting out the obvious that they could’ve used photos of another car to save themselves...

I appreciate Rich’s assistance in helping to open Tesla up to self repair etc. but his attitude is awful. I’ve tried watching his videos but they are just way too full of toxic comments about Tesla and Tesla owners.

Also, adding fake exhaust sounds to EVs is really stupid but I guess I can’t fault him for taking money from dumb people.

If he is offering to help people out who were fired because of working with him, that’s a very nice gesture.
I seen his take on Tesla owners being non-car people... He was dead on.
yeah that’s bullshit. I can’t stand that kind of snobbishness.

I appreciate Rich’s assistance in helping to open Tesla up to self repair etc. but his attitude is awful. I’ve tried watching his videos but they are just way too full of toxic comments about Tesla and Tesla owners.

Also, adding fake exhaust sounds to EVs is really stupid but I guess I can’t fault him for taking money from dumb people.

If he is offering to help people out who were fired because of working with him, that’s a very nice gesture.

how can you not laugh at his humor? God damn most of it is true and he only rants in the first 2 minutes of the video then works on the cars...And if you take it that seriously then do you ever joke about anything irl?

And honestly if anything he is helping TSLA. The fact that their cars are unserviceable unless you go to a dealer is insane. The fact that rich couldn’t buy bumpers from the service center is beyond me.
Tesla made their cars like Apple makes their phone. You know you can’t replace your phone screen without disabling features and every part in an iPhone is linked to that phone and when it’s switch out the phone knows, which is basically what Tesla is doing with cars. I have no support for that

how can you not laugh at his humor? God damn most of it is true and he only rants in the first 2 minutes of the video then works on the cars...And if you take it that seriously then do you ever joke about anything irl?

And honestly if anything he is helping TSLA. The fact that their cars are unserviceable unless you go to a dealer is insane. The fact that rich couldn’t buy bumpers from the service center is beyond me.
Tesla made their cars like Apple makes their phone. You know you can’t replace your phone screen without disabling features and every part in an iPhone is linked to that phone and when it’s switch out the phone knows, which is basically what Tesla is doing with cars. I have no support for that
I’m busy. I don’t have time for YouTube click bait or people who focus time on insulting others. I’m constantly making jokes and can say without false modesty that I have a great sense of humor. It’s just not for me. I did note that I appreciated his efforts in getting Tesla to be more open to customer repairs and whatnot.

I don’t particularly care and don’t spend time commenting or thinking about him. It was brought up and I felt like chiming in. I still think fake exhaust is stupid though, nothing will change my mind there. Just like any other rice modifications like fake blowoff valves or giant wings and stickers.

I keep saying last time on this subject. Fired employees happened before that Model X delivery. Someone at corporate Tesla noticed/watched his YouTube and started to put the pieces together, Rich had help from someone who works for Tesla. The employees were caught lying, no stealing was involved. Not necessarily rich's fault, tesla employees fault.

Content for a YouTube channel is obviously important. Tesla 2 years ago had major issues delivering cars, even used ones. Mobile Tech/Detailer guy was still extremely upset 5 months after almost getting fired. He knew rich was going to claim the car wasn't properly detailed (photos saved his job) I'm just an innocent bystander in this and should just keep my big mouth shut.

That's it. One more thing, the upset employee strongly recommended buying every dip. It was too late I always bought when tsla went up (fomo) I still did alright my cost basis is 60 dollars a share ( post split).

so what are the chances the service person or detailed just showed pictures of another Model X to save their asses from being fired?
I feel like it’s pretty high up there.

Not necessarily defending rich, but putting out the obvious that they could’ve used photos of another car to save themselves...

There is one significant odd detail about this whole story: Rich raved about how good his X looked when he finally got it. After being jerked around for months by Tesla the video of him actually taking delivery talked about how great the car looked. So why would the detailer be angry and almost get fired because of a video that praised his work? Maybe, considering the terrible internal communications at Tesla, someone misconstrued Rich's earlier videos of the car in poor condition prior to delivery with the video of the delivery.
Jump to the 4 minute mark.

There is one significant odd detail about this whole story: Rich raved about how good his X looked when he finally got it. After being jerked around for months by Tesla the video of him actually taking delivery talked about how great the car looked. So why would the detailer be angry and almost get fired because of a video that praised his work? Maybe, considering the terrible internal communications at Tesla, someone misconstrued Rich's earlier videos of the car in poor condition prior to delivery with the video of the delivery.
Jump to the 4 minute mark.

Minor issues with the detailing, especially the interior. Employee was asked to explain why and he produced the pictures to prove that it wasn't his fault. This person was present when the car was picked up, making sure no one messed up his work before the handover. Please let's end this, seriously. One more thing, re-watching the video, dashboard imperfection was what almost doomed the detailer (tesla wanted the car to be absolutley perfect) he showed me so many pictures i forgot what it was that almost got him fired.

Last edited:
I was gushing at how great the car looked after it was done and delivered, I accepted it from Tesla in the condition it was in. I touched up a minor scrape on the dash speaker with a sharpie. Is someone implying that I purposely scratched a very hard to reach part of my dashboard with the intention of then covering it up with a sharpie so someone looks bad? I think thats a big stretch.

All photos shown in the video were from before the car was delivered when it was at auction, There was never a point in time where I complained about the condition of the car after it was in my possession. Tesla "almost" firing someone because of something that I never brought up as an issue sounds strange. I'd also like the definition of "almost firing" because if someone's job was on the line over a minor detail then it sounds like an internal issue. I'm also assuming they would have called me to bring the car back in. Doesn't make any sense to me but again I'm open to a discussion with the detailer.

In terms of the Tesla employees that were fired for supposedly helping me, I'd like to have a conversation with them, the person that brought it up, or really anyone. I'm curious as to what help I received that got them fired. I never asked for software (nor have I needed it) I've only set foot IN Tesla maybe 5 times. Once was for a battery, once for some trim pieces and the other few times to pickup my model X.

It just seems odd that if there was so much resentment for me that Tesla staff would come to the grand opening for EG in New Hampshire, then one year later in Florida.

The assessment of my videos being trashy and low brow is however fair. Also, we do not make the sound generators for Teslas. People ask for them and we install them.

I was gushing at how great the car looked after it was done and delivered, I accepted it from Tesla in the condition it was in. I touched up a minor scrape on the dash speaker with a sharpie. Is someone implying that I purposely scratched a very hard to reach part of my dashboard with the intention of then covering it up with a sharpie so someone looks bad? I think thats a big stretch.

All photos shown in the video were from before the car was delivered when it was at auction, There was never a point in time where I complained about the condition of the car after it was in my possession. Tesla "almost" firing someone because of something that I never brought up as an issue sounds strange. I'd also like the definition of "almost firing" because if someone's job was on the line over a minor detail then it sounds like an internal issue. I'm also assuming they would have called me to bring the car back in. Doesn't make any sense to me but again I'm open to a discussion with the detailer.

In terms of the Tesla employees that were fired for supposedly helping me, I'd like to have a conversation with them, the person that brought it up, or really anyone. I'm curious as to what help I received that got them fired. I never asked for software (nor have I needed it) I've only set foot IN Tesla maybe 5 times. Once was for a battery, once for some trim pieces and the other few times to pickup my model X.

It just seems odd that if there was so much resentment for me that Tesla staff would come to the grand opening for EG in New Hampshire, then one year later in Florida.

The assessment of my videos being trashy and low brow is however fair. Also, we do not make the sound generators for Teslas. People ask for them and we install them.
So when is the LS Tesla video gonna be done rich?

Go join a F150 or Jeep forum. Almost all of the people on there know their vehicle. Tesla forums have 20 year old females (and males) that know iPhones. As Rich said, their main comment is what they named their car. I seen a guy who was going to have his car towed to service because there was a valve stem cap laying beside his car, not to mention the numerous sheer panic posts because there is a nail in the tire and they do not know what to do. Definitely not car people. That being said, I dont mean it as an insult. I find it fascinating that Tesla has the ability to get people who have no interest in cars to join a discussion group about cars.

• Love
Reactions: Yoked24
Raise your hand if you have a tire plug kit in your frunk

I knew Tesla was going to make it as a company when several *insert bland vehicle* coworkers asked me about it out of nowhere a couple years ago when the hype train around Model 3 was leaving the station.

Rich’s videos are one of the reasons I was willing to make the leap. He’s shown people like me that the cars aren’t maDe of unobtanium and sprinkled with fairy dust, they’re just cars, sometimes just barely. He has done Tesla, the company, as well, a great service in being part of the group of enthusiasts pulling back the curtain so more car nuts and motorsports people like me can make informed decisions.

There’s a knowledge base forming independent of the dealer/service network. That could easily have never formed, as it has basically never formed for a lot of so called “enthusiast” Marques whose public knowledge base is almost useless.

Go join a F150 or Jeep forum. Almost all of the people on there know their vehicle. Tesla forums have 20 year old females (and males) that know iPhones. As Rich said, their main comment is what they named their car. I seen a guy who was going to have his car towed to service because there was a valve stem cap laying beside his car, not to mention the numerous sheer panic posts because there is a nail in the tire and they do not know what to do. Definitely not car people. That being said, I dont mean it as an insult. I find it fascinating that Tesla has the ability to get people who have no interest in cars to join a discussion group about cars.

Just think about what you are comparing. An entire brand to a specific model of car. If we want to generalize, then I can easily say that Tesla is a car enthusiast brand. Tesla's have a greater percentage of performance models than any other automaker right? Tesla doesn't make minivans, or boring sedans, or farm trucks that never go over 30. Sure, there are non-car people who own Teslas, just like there are non-car people who own Fords or Chryslers. If you want apples to apples, let's compare P3D owners to say Mustang owners. I've been a car enthusiast my entire life and it get's old being told that I'm "not a car person".

I just despise those kinds of attitudes and you see it online all the time. I suppose I just dislike generalizations. I'd say the same to somebody saying that every pick up driver is a hilly billy or whatever too.

And yeah, my comments above were probably too harsh. I'm sure Rich just like anybody else in the spotlight has dealt with plenty of toxic people which comes across in the videos. It happens to all of of us sometimes. I know I've interacted with a ton of those types myself, which probably comes across in my posts above. I'm sure Rich is a great guy, I just got turned off on his content a while ago. (not that he should care what I think of course)

Last edited:
I bought the least enthusiastic Tesla it is possible to buy; an X LR+, and i love the thing. If I’m not a car guy I want to know where all my money went over the last few decades.

but I also take his point. Most BMW owners are just renewing a lease every three years with whatever keeps the payment the same. To say Tesla owners are mostly not “car enthusiasts” is no insult to the brand; it’s probably true and it’s proof the brand has broken into the mainstream. How many of us have had a conversation with somebody who just loves to talk about their car and doesn’t know the first thing about it beyond the make and model and model year, and a few brochure spec sheet lines?

Welcome back to car guy life, Tesla owning car guys; it’s the same here as it is anywhere

Last edited:
Just think about what you are comparing. An entire brand to a specific model of car. If we want to generalize, then I can easily say that Tesla is a car enthusiast brand. Tesla's have a greater percentage of performance models than any other automaker right? Tesla doesn't make minivans, or boring sedans, or farm trucks that never go over 30. Sure, there are non-car people who own Teslas, just like there are non-car people who own Fords or Chryslers. If you want apples to apples, let's compare P3D owners to say Mustang owners. I've been a car enthusiast my entire life and it get's old being told that I'm "not a car person".

I just despise those kinds of attitudes and you see it online all the time. I suppose I just dislike generalizations. I'd say the same to somebody saying that every pick up driver is a hilly billy or whatever too.

And yeah, my comments above were probably too harsh. I'm sure Rich just like anybody else in the spotlight has dealt with plenty of toxic people which comes across in the videos. It happens to all of of us sometimes. I know I've interacted with a ton of those types myself, which probably comes across in my posts above. I'm sure Rich is a great guy, I just got turned off on his content a while ago. (not that he should care what I think of course)

You are misunderstanding my statement. Of course there are car people who own Tesla's, I am one. I find it fascinating the amount of non-car people Tesla has drawn into forums, groups etc. I don't know of any other manufacturer who has the ability to get Billy's grandma to join an auto forum.