Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Richmond, CA train transport depot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
I kept hearing about it, cars being taken from the factory and then put on trains to make their way across country. I thought I saw photos of a ton of Tesla parked near a drive-on ship, but I think those are not cars going on the trains. I was just at our local dog rescue in Richmond and as I drove home with two Chinese Crested's I saw ahead of me:

IMG_5512.JPG

I had to follow it and a couple of blocks later it pulled into Selland Auto Transport:

Google Maps

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_3995.JPG

They had a bunch of Teslas in various states of undress:

IMG_6538.JPG
IMG_7228.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG

Not a crazy full parking lot but it is interesting that they take the covers off the cars after driving 30 miles from Fremont to Richmond. Guess they are well protected on the train except from graffiti paint.

-Randy

Guess they are not storing Tesla's anymore. This is what the lot in Richmond, CA looked like in the Electrek article:

4-EoJSonQ.jpg

And this is what the lot looks like today

IMG_2893.JPG

I took the pic from the opposite side of the lot as I didn't have a computer to check the original photo.

I went by the train depot just up the street (the one this thread is about) and they have cleverly positioned a car train in front of the Tesla parking lot, you can see the tracks in front of the lot in this photo from earlier in this thread:

img_0032-jpg.312436

But as I was trying to figure out how to get a good photo of that lot I saw another train arrive and two trucks full of Tesla's pull into the grounds:

IMG_3738.JPG IMG_0739.JPG

-Randy

What's odd to me is why the rail that is part of the property at the factory isn't used. Seems like a ton of excess effort/cost/damage potential to load the cars for a 30mi drive to a rail depot, when there are rail lines on-property at Fremont. At the volume levels currently, seems like driving them from test track to rail car would be far more efficient and reduce damage risk in transport.

What's odd to me is why the rail that is part of the property at the factory isn't used. Seems like a ton of excess effort/cost/damage potential to load the cars for a 30mi drive to a rail depot, when there are rail lines on-property at Fremont. At the volume levels currently, seems like driving them from test track to rail car would be far more efficient and reduce damage risk in transport.
its-dead-jim.jpg