Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Richmond Virginia Supercharger location confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Official opening should be next Thursday. Of course, until the official email comes out, that's subject to change.

The folks doing most of the work to bring this site up won't be at the opening - they'll have moved onto the next project(s). So high fives for the Tesla supercharger installation team!

When you say official opening, do you mean when the power gets turned on or a ribbon-cutting?

Just got the email. Thursday is the grand opening.

Tesla owners,

I hope you are having an enjoyable fall season. You are receiving this email because you expressed an interest in hearing about Virginia specific events since the gathering at Richmond International Raceway in August. The Tesla team may be sending you an invitation in the coming days about an exciting event happening in the Richmond area next week. We also wanted to reach out to you about this event.

On Thursday, October 24[SUP]th[/SUP] at 10am Tesla will be holding a ribbon cutting for the first Supercharger Station in Virginia! 8 charging stalls will go live in Glen Allen, just north of Richmond where interstates I-95 and I-295 intersect.

We hope you will be able to join us for this exciting occasion and help celebrate the commitment Tesla is making to current and potential Virginia owners.

I was there today. They are in the midst of testing all the chargers and certifying them. They should be operational tonight. The one closest to the brick structure is definitely operational. It's still dirty around there, so the nice gleaming white covers won't go on until early next week after the site is fully cleaned up.

IMG_1390.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1399.jpg

Last edited:
This is fantastic news and many thanks for keeping us informed Techmaven. I will be driving from Hoboken, NJ to south of Richmond for Thanksgiving and it was going to require a stay over in DC to recharge. Now I can hit the super charger station in DE and VA and make it with no problems.

At 200 miles, isn't it a bit of a stretch between Newark & Richmond; maybe unless you took 301 the whole way?

Cheerose

My sister lives in Richmond, southwest of downtown. She's 216 miles from the Newark, DE Supercharger and the last time I drove down in June, I range charged in DE and arrived at her house with 40 miles to spare. It is extremely flat and slightly downhill as you travel from DE to VA - and this was going highway speeds at 65-75 mph!

From DE, I drive I95 to I895 to 295 (Baltimore Washington Parkway) back to I95 south to Richmond.

Aaron

PS - I'm just ITCHING to go to the ribbon cutting next Thursday.... Am I crazy?! I could also visit my sister and nieces!

My sister lives in Richmond, southwest of downtown. She's 216 miles from the Newark, DE Supercharger and the last time I drove down in June, I range charged in DE and arrived at her house with 40 miles to spare. It is extremely flat and slightly downhill as you travel from DE to VA - and this was going highway speeds at 65-75 mph!

Aaron

PS - I'm just ITCHING to go to the ribbon cutting next Thursday.... Am I crazy?! I could also visit my sister and nieces!

Having done the range charge at a Supercharger multiple times to make the 237 miles from Silverthorne to my house in Pagosa, I agree its totally doable. Just remember that you have to be patient to do a range charge at a Supercharger. My experience in an 85 with 4.5 software is that the last 100 miles can take 1.5 hours, and just forget about the last 5 miles. Version 5.0 should speed this up but from Teslas chart, its still going to be at least 45 minutes for that last 100 miles.

To keep myself safe, I have a goal of a 20% margin of rated miles over miles to go. The mental math is easy, double miles to go and divide by 10, then add that to miles to go and compare with rated miles left. If you are falling behind this 20% buffer, slow down. If the buffer is increasing, enjoy the drive.

You would only be a little crazy to go just for the ribbon cutting, but its a great idea to combine it with a visit to see your relatives. :wink:

tjimtjim, andrewket, et al;

I'd be happy to join a caravan from NoVa to the supercharger ribbon cutting. I'm coming from Tysons Corner area. I noted that tjimtjim plans to leave Springfield area around 8 am on Thursday. From the TM forum, I noted that JThompson from Fairfax and cb9 from Potomac are planning to go. It seems that Springfield or somewhere just south of there may be a good meeting place to start our "road trip". What/where/when do people suggest we meet?

tjimtjim, andrewket, et al;

I'd be happy to join a caravan from NoVa to the supercharger ribbon cutting. I'm coming from Tysons Corner area. I noted that tjimtjim plans to leave Springfield area around 8 am on Thursday. From the TM forum, I noted that JThompson from Fairfax and cb9 from Potomac are planning to go. It seems that Springfield or somewhere just south of there may be a good meeting place to start our "road trip". What/where/when do people suggest we meet?

How about the Dale City I95 rest stop (38.619104,-77.298909 - Google Maps We can leave there at 8:30 am and be at the Supercharger by 9:45 (at the latest). We can leave earlier, of course, if folks want to do that.

Works for me too. I can be there in plenty of time for a 0830 start. I also posted a note over on TM .... so hopefully we will have several MS owners! I have not tried the supercharger capability yet, so this will be my first chance. I hope to be able to plug in for only a short period of time (15 minutes or so) just to ensure there are no issues with supercharging my MS 85.

Google Maps says it is 1 hour and 5 minutes from the Dale City rest stop to the Glen Allen supercharger. Maybe we should leave around 8:15 just in case there are traffic slowdowns? I plan to be at Dale City Rest Stop at 8:00 am, and I guess we can look at the traffic then to see when folks want to leave. Looking forward to seeing fellow Model S owners as we help to "Drive Change in Virginia"! :)

Guys -

I think I might be joining you! Going to contact a friend that lives in Gaithersburg to see if I can crash Wednesday night and then meet you guys Thursday morning!

Stay tuned.....!

Aaron

Hey guys, I've been to two ribbon cuttings in Florida. If you have a long drive to the supercharger station (and back), you need to plan to be there at least 1 hour before the ribbon cutting event, so you'll have an available stall to begin charging. If you get there just before the event begins, you won't be able to begin charging until after the ceremony ends (in all probability). If you're hanging around to have lunch after the ceremony, it may not matter, because you can charge while you eat lunch.

Guys -

I'm in! Staying at a long time friends home in Gaithersburg Wednesday night. Will meet you at the Dale City rest area Thursday morning - map says its 45 miles away, so I'll leave his home at 6:30am.

After the event, I'll be visiting my sister and her kids in Richmond, so this trip is a three'fer for me!

See you there - with my Jack Russell Terrier "Denny" as well!

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

aaron.s: wow - a long distance enthusiast! You are going to have to get up pretty early to drive from Gaithersburg! Good on you - the more the merrier!

tjimtjim -

I'm a big enthusiast -- if you look around the forums, I've been all over the place, including helping to organize/participate in the NY Times Broder trip debunking. Been to Richmond twice (including VA Beach), Boston twice and more.... Will break 18,000 miles on this trip - got the car January 24th!

Aaron