Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Riddle me this: Front handles illuminated or not in a 2015?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got my 2015 P85D, I was curious why Tesla would make it so only the rear exterior door handles were illuminated and not the front. Seeing as both my fronts were devoid of lights, I assumed it was a design decision and didn't give it much more thought.

Then yesterday I'm sitting at a Supercharger and a newer (refresh) Model S backs in beside me and I notice both his rear and front handles have lights. His lights appeared much brighter than mine as well.

So... am I supposed to have lights in the front or did that change since 2015?

My recollection (possibly flawed) is that there was a period of time when the lighted door handles were part of an option package and not standard. I would think that would have applied to all 4,

So I would think that yes, you should have all 4 with lights.

FWIW, I had my drivers door handle light fail. I asked Tesla to fix it when it was in for it's "annual" and they had to replace the whole assembly because the "bulb" or LED or whatever is not serviceable. I had the extended warranty and so had to pay the $200 deductible which is cheap for a whole door handle assembly, but not so much for just a light bulb.

pretty sure all should have lights

FYI...originally the handles presented all the way out and didn't retract a little to have a bit of 'pull' when opening the doors. this caused a bunch of doors to just open on their own when the handles auto presented themselves so they were changed so there is a tiny bit of pull before the sensor switch is tripped. This change/fix also made it so the led lights in the original handles would be partly obscured by the door since the handles stay in a few mm. originally the LED light cast a bit more light when the handles presented (at least in the older handle versions, I think they changed something at some point, not sure if it took care of the partially blocked LED)

Last edited:
When I first got my 2015 P85D, I was curious why Tesla would make it so only the rear exterior door handles were illuminated and not the front. Seeing as both my fronts were devoid of lights, I assumed it was a design decision and didn't give it much more thought.

Then yesterday I'm sitting at a Supercharger and a newer (refresh) Model S backs in beside me and I notice both his rear and front handles have lights. His lights appeared much brighter than mine as well.

So... am I supposed to have lights in the front or did that change since 2015?
Yes, either they are all illuminated or none are illuminated. Sounds like something got goofed up in production. They should all be the same.

Tesla juggled around options sometime around March / April 2015 (I think there were several steps in this juggling). If you ordered your car before then, the lighted door handles were a part of the tech package. If you ordered after then, the lighted door handles were a part of the Premium something-or-other Package.

In any case I agree with other people upthread who said that you should either have all four door handles lighted or none of them. My S85D with tech package but without premium interior package (ordered March 2015, built April 2015) has lighted handles.

Bruce.

After you get the door handle illumination resolved, consider a pair or 2 of these for the additional illumination of yer choice: Ultra-Bright LED Puddle Lights (pair)

I picked up a pair after someone (with not the greatest night vision) commented that the door handle illumination wasn't bright enough (different applications, since for the puddle lights to work, the door has to be open, but I figured every little bit helps).

Super simple installation. If you don't have a spudger, and really, who does, some duct tape around the business end of a flat head screwdriver works fine. Less than 15 minutes for the entire job (1 pair).

I picked up a pair after someone (with not the greatest night vision) commented that the door handle illumination wasn't bright enough (different applications, since for the puddle lights to work, the door has to be open, but I figured every little bit helps).

Yeah, the door handle lights are really just "accent lights" that aren't meant to provide useful illumination. That's what the puddle lights on the bottom of the doors are for. Mine are "okay" but I can see how something a bit brighter might be useful.