Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Comfort Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one failing grade I give the MY is its ride. I kept holding off purchasing a Model 3 because I didn't like the rough ride, and the MY is essentially the same. Actually when I had a Model 3 loaner recently I noticed that it doesn't even roll as much as the Y on uneven roads, probably because of its lower profile. I reduced tire pressures to minimize shocks from sharp pavement changes and I have been considering an aftermarket suspension upgrade to improve things but haven't decided to pull the trigger yet.

Then I made an amazing discovery - if you load the MY up the the gunwales, the ride quality changes dramatically. I've made a couple of long road trips with the car full of tools and other supplies, and the ride was completely unobjectionable. I might even go so far as to say "pleasant". Unfortunately it takes a lot of weight to make a difference, so it's not a practical solution for everyday driving. As an experiment I am currently driving with one 30 kg (66 lb) bag of gravel in the frunk and two in the rear, and that does take the edge off the most annoying jolts and wiggles. Obviously efficiency and stowage are reduced, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make. I can always take out the ballast if I need the space.

My 2021 MYP ride was shockingly firm and harsh and jarring on many of our crumbling (and sad) Los Angeles streets. I always thought my '19 and /20 BMW i3S suspension was awful, but the MY is almost as rough and hard. Softer suspension would be amazing on the Y, and they could at least add a air suspension offering for a fee. I think many would pay for better suspension.

I will say though, the MY seats and seating material are awesome!!! Excellent actually!

Hmm, I am considering the MYLR among other EVs and I must say that the one trepidation I have is the ride quality. Has anyone heard of any potential factory remedy coming, or will it be on the individual to find one?

I found the same too when I was towing which adds some weight. The ride gets better after about 1000 miles but still firm. It feels good when driving a bit spirited but harsh for driving slower with the pregnant wife in the passenger seat. It’s not perfect but a good compromise. The suspension upgrades don’t seem worthwhile…maybe if it was $1500 but double or triple that is not a good value.

Reactions: Deutsch100
Hmm, I am considering the MYLR among other EVs and I must say that the one trepidation I have is the ride quality. Has anyone heard of any potential factory remedy coming, or will it be on the individual to find one?
Did you go for a test drive? A lot of owners are complaining about the harsh ride but there’re also lot of people who think the ride is not THAT bad myself included. It is no Lexus but I think the LR Y is more than tolerable.

The one failing grade I give the MY is its ride. I kept holding off purchasing a Model 3 because I didn't like the rough ride, and the MY is essentially the same. Actually when I had a Model 3 loaner recently I noticed that it doesn't even roll as much as the Y on uneven roads, probably because of its lower profile. I reduced tire pressures to minimize shocks from sharp pavement changes and I have been considering an aftermarket suspension upgrade to improve things but haven't decided to pull the trigger yet.

Then I made an amazing discovery - if you load the MY up the the gunwales, the ride quality changes dramatically. I've made a couple of long road trips with the car full of tools and other supplies, and the ride was completely unobjectionable. I might even go so far as to say "pleasant". Unfortunately it takes a lot of weight to make a difference, so it's not a practical solution for everyday driving. As an experiment I am currently driving with one 30 kg (66 lb) bag of gravel in the frunk and two in the rear, and that does take the edge off the most annoying jolts and wiggles. Obviously efficiency and stowage are reduced, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make. I can always take out the ballast if I need the space.
That's an old trick actually, very common with trucks and suvs. Increasing weight makes it easier to overcome the high stiffness of the suspension. More weight makes it seem softer.

I have read a lot about the rough ride in the MY, especially the MYP, which I is the version I bought. Through one month of ownership, I would say the ride quality hasn't bothered me in the least. It's definitely tight, but at least for me, I feel like it's what I would expect from a performance vehicle. I came to the MYP from about 13 years in two minivans, so I was used to a relatively cushy ride.

Anyway, I understand different people will have different tolerance on ride harshness. I'm just glad I've not had any issues with my MYP's ride quality.

Search is your friend. There are a zillion (now, a zillion and one) threads about suspension mods (coilovers) for the MY.

Currently 3 choices, in order of cost, low to high.

1) Unplugged Performance
2) Mountain Pass Performance
3) Ohlins

All 3 have devoted followers.

Did you go for a test drive? A lot of owners are complaining about the harsh ride but there’re also lot of people who think the ride is not THAT bad myself included. It is no Lexus but I think the LR Y is more than tolerable.
Test drive in a Tesla? These are rare or non-existent. Tesla can't keep the cars in stock. I live in New Mexico and we just got our first service center and they don't now have test drive cars nor are they told they might have any in the future. So, there are no test drives for us.

Test drive in a Tesla? These are rare or non-existent. Tesla can't keep the cars in stock. I live in New Mexico and we just got our first service center and they don't now have test drive cars nor are they told they might have any in the future. So, there are no test drives for us.
Suspension quality is very subjective. I side with the harsh opinion.
However, people have differences in prior experience, driving styles, road conditions, and knowledge.
Tesla's suspension isn't as refined as Lexus, MB, BMW, etc. Forget the marketing noise about a "suspension for spirited driving".

My experience when I had a BMW, was that I arrived tired but enjoyed the drive. My Lexus just cruised, and I arrived fresher.
I also raced Porsche 911's for 10 years, and learned greatly about suspension development with driver development (they go together).

So there are deep threads on this site about suspension - complaints, likes, dislikes, and options.
You get what you pay for in suspension components, but first you have to understand what you're paying for.
Try to figure out your goal, read the posts, call the vendors and ask questions. They actually can help.

Reactions: voxel
Honestly I think that a air suspension option is the best solution to the ride quality being harsh. Just test out a Tesla S with air suspension and you can see they know how to solve the problem. It must be a decision based on a the cost benefit analysis. I would urge Tesla to offer this as an option in the future. I think many people would be willing to pay for this feature which would create a true luxury ride.

If Tesla were to offer as an option...
- air suspension and/or
- active suspension
...would trade my yet-to-be delivered MYLR for MYP/active in a heartbeat.

Went w/ the MYLR vs MYP (which I really wanted) based on past experience with fixed sport suspension (city driving? no sir).
MYP with selectable comfort or sporty feel would be a an awesome fun package.

Reactions: voxel
Honestly I think that a air suspension option is the best solution to the ride quality being harsh. Just test out a Tesla S with air suspension and you can see they know how to solve the problem. It must be a decision based on a the cost benefit analysis. I would urge Tesla to offer this as an option in the future. I think many people would be willing to pay for this feature which would create a true luxury ride.
Sandy Munro in one of his YT videos about the MY saw recesses in the Rear Megacast he speculated would support an air bottle for suspension use.
I wouldn't doubt that Tesla engineers built in the option for future consideration. Costs nothing extra to make with the casting dies, a fortune to add after the fact.

But Tesla is more concerned with getting the manufacturing plants finished and production rolling, and with a Model T mentality - "make 'em all black".
Not until that's settled down, and actual competition shows up. That's not anywhere near yet, despite Media nonsense.

Then things like suspension options, and added range, can be added. I give it a couple years yet.
Meanwhile, there are 3 viable vendors of more competent suspension systems than Tesla is currently providing.

Reactions: bob00
I had a model S for 3 weeks as a loaner, and you can definitely tell the difference having an air sus. I recently sold my 2019 740i, and I REALLY miss the ride quality/comfort on the 7 series. But I knew what I was getting into, and although I wish the Y's had the air sus options, the performance MYLR and MYP helps me forget about my 7 series in a heartbeat.