TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ride Height Higher on the Right Side Problem

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by ChriZ, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ChriZ

ChriZ Member

Just took my delivery 3 weeks ago and it's been great. No major problems except brake squeaking a little and wind noise coming from driver door on freeways.

So I finally did my first car wash yesterday and was about to take a picture when I noticed the car was loop sided a bit to the left. At first, I thought it was the floor but when I looked around, the car seemed higher on the right side.

So I took out a measuring tape and measured it from the fender to tire and found it to be 3 inches on the right. Did the same on the left side and indeed it was 2 inches! :eek: At first I thought it was the air suspension so I lowered to the low setting and found the right to be 2 inches and left is 1 inch. Did the same as "high" height and same 1 inch offset.

Called the service center to book an appointment and awaiting a response.

Any of you have this same problem?

2. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

You are the first one I've heard of with this issue. If there are no sensor issues (the MS uses for potentiometers, one at each wheel, to measure ride height) it is a straight forward process for the Service Center to redo the ride height calibration. I'm curious to hear what the SC does to resolve the issue. Please post your results.

3. strider

strider Active Member

I assume you have air suspension. I wonder if you should try cycling the car to "Very High" and down to "Low" (if it will let you)? Maybe running it through its range will allow it to calibrate itself.

4. HHHH

HHHH Member

I haven't heard of this either, try playing with the settings as strider says above, and see if that does the trick, if not, contact your local SC asap.

5. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

I noticed the exact same thing in my garage. I thought it was an optical illusion at first. I took delivery around June 22nd, so we were probably built around the same time. Let me know what they say, as I don't have a service center near me for another 4-5 months. Thanks.

6. ChriZ

ChriZ Member

I checked recently and looks like it fixed itself?! I still booked an appointment but won't be able to have them look at it until mid August since they're backed up. Will update you what they find.

7. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I have seen this myself and I thought I was losing my mind until I measured. It seemed to resolve itself, but next time I see it I am going to place a level on the lip under the nose cone and tke a pic. It might have just been the air suspension correcting for a dip in the rear corner of my driveway, perhaps?

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Just a note that may or may not be obvious:

The air suspension will level the CAR, not equalize its height above the ground. If you are parked on a slight sideways slope, it will attempt to level the car, and therefore one side of the car may be further from the ground than the other.

9. ChriZ

ChriZ Member

That maybe the case then. I didn't know that was a "feature". I'll confirm with the service folks and let you guys know what they say.

10. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

#10 irishstoutaz, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    I do recall a post a while ago about an issue where the height was off between the front and rear and was something that needed to be corrected. Don't recall if it was just a recalibration that the SC did though... better safe than sorry and still have it checked.

------------ Updated with link to post

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16706-Air-suspension-sagging