Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Quality Degraded After Curb Hit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2021 Tesla Model 3 with 19" sport wheels in Sep 2021. Have been very happy with the ride quality. Unlike some people's experiences, I found the ride extremely smooth where the car seemed to glide on the road. Unfortunately, in early December I hit a curb on the rear passenger side wheel. Outside of curb rash on the rear passenger side hub cap, I didn't notice any other visible damage so thought the car was fine. But in a few weeks I noticed that the ride quality had significantly degraded. I now was feeling every bump, every seam in the concrete, and every crevice. The ride was bouncy and jerky to the point that i did not feel like driving the car. Upon taking it to the Tesla service center, they said they couldn't replicate my experience (which is weird, because it was obvious), but said they would rebalance the wheels, assuming the curb hit put them out of balance. When they were doing that, they noticed the two right side wheels were out of round. They don't repair wheels, so I had Allow Wheel Repair come and make my wheels round again. Got the wheels rebalanced after that, and also performed a wheel alignment. The car now drives much smoother, but I still feel a slight bounce on bumps, and some jerks when making turns, that I did not feel before. The service center said the suspension looked fine, but not sure if there is something deeper there that they need to look into. Or do I need to replace the wheel? All i know is that the ride is not the same as when I bought the car, and it bothers me. Any tips and recommendations on what to look for, or get done, will be highly appreciated. I want to love my new car again.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Ride quality is always harsher in cold weather as the tires and rubber bushings harden. It's also very sensitive to tire pressure which you may have increased along the way.
Thanks for that response. I dropped the tire pressure to 35 PSI from the recommended pressure of 42 PSI. That helped a bit. Would you recommend going any lower?
Well, you could replace the one, and use the other as a spare.
Ha! Guess I'm trying to make sure spending $750 to replace the wheel is a worthwhile expense. Mainly trying to see if there is anything else I should try first before committing to that. Thanks for the response :).

Perhaps your compression rod bushing have worn and you're starting to feel a bit more deflection than you're used to.
New car honeymoon period is over lol

I can't confirm this will fix your discomfort but its a cheap upgrade to improve steering/braking response, MPP Rod Inserts
"When the compression rod bushing deflects under high load, the result is a change in toe as the entire lower suspension moves rearwards."

Perhaps your compression rod bushing have worn and you're starting to feel a bit more deflection than you're used to.
New car honeymoon period is over lol

I can't confirm this will fix your discomfort but its a cheap upgrade to improve steering/braking response, MPP Rod Inserts
"When the compression rod bushing deflects under high load, the result is a change in toe as the entire lower suspension moves rearwards."
Thanks for that tip. Will absolutely look into it.