Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Quality of Model 3 Perf w/ 20s vs. LR RWD on 18s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So, I don't own a Model 3 (but do have a 2013 Model S - P85+). Recently, however, I rented a Model 3 LR RWD with 18s for a day and then about a week and a half ago I test drove a Model 3 perf w/ the performance upgrade package (i.e. 20" rims). I drove the latter for almost 45 minutes and, since the gallery is so close to my house, got to drive it on the known "bumpy" roads (indeed, that was one of the primary purposes of my test drive).

Anyway, I was pretty impressed with the ride quality (in the front seat at least...I think the rear is noticeably worse at least in the RWD 3). Indeed, I actually wonder if the suspension is tweaked enough in the Perf 3 (or perhaps at least the dual motor cars) to deliver a perhaps EVEN better ride that the RWD cars? Admittedly, only a true back-to-back drive would really reveal this, but it was notable enough that I wanted to at least see if anyone else had noted anything similar? Anyone?

• Informative
Reactions: Crispix
We have a RWD 18”, and I test drove a P 20”. I meant to pay attention to the ride quality but was having too much fun stomping on the go pedal and maneuvering around corners. Such a blast to drive.

So I’m curious what others say. Even with a bit of first hand experience, I just don’t remember!

• Helpful
Reactions: jrmnet
We have a RWD 18”, and I test drove a P 20”. I meant to pay attention to the ride quality but was having too much fun stomping on the go pedal and maneuvering around corners. Such a blast to drive.

So I’m curious what others say. Even with a bit of first hand experience, I just don’t remember!

I would take that as a sign that it wasn't bad, ha.

• Funny
Reactions: Crispix
The reviews on Tire Rack are pretty good for the PS4s. Owners note that handling isn't quite as good as the previous PSS (now used on the Model S), and I think the PS2s used prior to that on the Model S were stickier still. The owners DO note that the tire rides better and is more quiet than the PSS - two items I would value over MAX performance given that they would be of benefit every day. It is important to note that not too many folks have any serious miles on these yet.

I got about a 1/2 hr test drive with Performance M3 with 20's where I intentionally went on windy roads around corners faster than I should and hit every pothole I could safely. Unfortunately, I missed the rain by minutes so could not test its traction control on wet pavement. I was impressed with both the ride comfort and handling, much better than my MX. Had the salesman offered to sell me the car I was driving, I probably would have gone into mid life crisis brain and walked out with the keys. Now I have had too much time to think and am going to wait for SAS because of clearance needs. Based on my limited experience, I would have no problem driving the 20's on rough roads and switching to an 18's winter setup when the snow began to fly.

Reactions: Crispix and Ormond
Multiple people and Tesla's spokesman have told me that the 20" would be worse than the 18" due to having less sidewall. I've test driven both but only 10-15 minutes each so I could not tell a difference in the short city streets I tried it on.

I got about a 1/2 hr test drive with Performance M3 with 20's where I intentionally went on windy roads around corners faster than I should and hit every pothole I could safely. Unfortunately, I missed the rain by minutes so could not test its traction control on wet pavement. I was impressed with both the ride comfort and handling, much better than my MX. Had the salesman offered to sell me the car I was driving, I probably would have gone into mid life crisis brain and walked out with the keys. Now I have had too much time to think and am going to wait for SAS because of clearance needs. Based on my limited experience, I would have no problem driving the 20's on rough roads and switching to an 18's winter setup when the snow began to fly.

Better ride than a Model X? I own both and there is no comparison, the Model X has a much better ride on choppy roads. I have an early build Model 3 (VIN 5#xx), so maybe the new ones are better. I find the Model 3 ride to be a bit sharp over small bumps. I agree that handling is better.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
I have a dual non-P with Aeros and it rides well. Not stiff one bit, rides just like my bug eye Subaru with much better cornering. I was expecting it to be stiffer but was pleasantly surprised, and I have a bad back so I’d be the first to tell you if it was uncomfortable.

We Have both the performance with 20” and RWD with 18”. I think the ride on both cars are pretty similar but the 18” wheels tend to “bounce” more over bumps and potholes which makes the ride a bit worse.
That's so interesting that your 20" and 18" wheels give similar rides. Around what VIN is your RWD with 18"?

My 70D Model S with coil suspension, and 19inch tires had a smoother overall ride than the P3D+ that I have now.

Even accounting for the tire pressure being 45psi in the Model S, and 40psi in the P3D+.

Now obviously I didn't get the P3D+ because I wanted a luxury smooth ride. I got it to take corners fast.

My only real concern with it is feels a little front wheel drive biased with torque steer. I definitely preferred having the same motors all around that the 70D had. Sure the P3D+ does practically break your neck after a tiny delay. Where the 70D was a little more initial launch, but less of a ramp up.

The P3D+ is a very different kind of beast that will take some getting used to.

My understanding is the Model 3D has the same motor as the RWD one on the rear where it's meant for efficiency, and on the front it has the same motor type as a Model S/X which its more performance orientated.

If that's correct it might be why I'm sensing some front wheel drive bias off the line. But, that seems a bit backwards to hopefully I got the whole thing wrong.

I can't wait for track mode to see what it all has to play around with.

Last edited:
I did a back-to-back test drive of a new RWD and P3D+ on the same road about a month ago. It was mostly highway but with rough spots so you got a good feel for the suspension.

The P3D+ was surprisingly compliant. I couldn't believe I was on 20" wheels. The RWD was definitely smoother and more comfortable though. The P3D+ had significantly more crisp and responsive turn in. The RWD steering almost felt mushy in comparison.

Of course, I don't know any of the following:
  • How much of that was the tire compound
  • How much of that was the wheel size / tire ratio
  • How much of that was the suspension difference
  • How different would the non-performance AWD be from the RWD?
  • How different would the P3D- have compared?

Personally I'd love is to drive a P3D- with 19" wheels and high-performance tires back-to-back with the P3D+.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
Better ride than a Model X? I own both and there is no comparison, the Model X has a much better ride on choppy roads. I have an early build Model 3 (VIN 5#xx), so maybe the new ones are better. I find the Model 3 ride to be a bit sharp over small bumps. I agree that handling is better.

Another explanation is my 2016 MX, vin 179xx, has a less good ride than your MX. What year or vin is your MX?

FWIW, I just had a Model X P90 for 6 days (ride height set to Low) while my Model 3 was in the shop and I feel that neither was "better" than the other, just different. The Model X is much heavier and doesn't get jolted as much by bumps, some of which is probably just that it's a much heavier vehicle. But I also felt like in some cases the Model 3 seems to soak up some kinds of bumps better. Just from a quick observation, I would say that each has its pluses and minuses but on balance I would call it a draw. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Ormond