Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Quality of Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too test drove the Model Y and for sure its is a firm ride. Over smooth terrain, its fine but broken surface and be prepared to re-arrange your organs. For this reason I am going to use coil-overs to help.
FYI if interested one of the companies already makes a set of shocks/springs for the Y to give a softer ride. Cant think of the vendors name but searching here should bring it up

What size wheels, which tires?
upload_2020-12-25_21-49-10.jpeg

As others have said ride quality is totally subjective.

We test drove a MYP and both my wife and I really liked the ride. We preferred the ride to the 2018 Mercedes Benz GLE we are coming from. We actually then went back and test drove a MY LR AWD with the Gemini wheels. We much preferred the MYP ride over the MY LR AWD.

We ended up ordering the MYP and so far (picked it up on 12/20) I am really enjoying it.

So again, it's very subjective.

I got my 2021 Y with 20 inch wheels around Thanksgiving and absolutely love it. I did change the tires but and keep them at 40psi. My previous vehicle was a 2018 Jaguar F-Pace which I felt had the roughest ride I’ve ever owned. Drove like a sports car but felt every bump regardless of how big or small it was, so I guess the ride is relevant to what you are used to.
If u don’t mind me asking what tires did u end up growing with?

Thanks for this thread. I currently have an X and the lease is up in 6 months. I am debating getting a Y or another X. Ride quality is a big factor for me so I need to test drive a Y soon.

The X with 20" is not a soft ride and is heavy so it sort of bangs through potholes. Also, it does consume those $350 tires pretty quickly. 25,000 miles is about all you can get on a tire. 22" is even harder (and more expensive tires), but looks better.

Thanks for this thread. I currently have an X and the lease is up in 6 months. I am debating getting a Y or another X. Ride quality is a big factor for me so I need to test drive a Y soon.

The X with 20" is not a soft ride and is heavy so it sort of bangs through potholes. Also, it does consume those $350 tires pretty quickly. 25,000 miles is about all you can get on a tire. 22" is even harder (and more expensive tires), but looks better.

move only had the M3 and MY, but I believe that all Tesla’s will devour tires as it’s all part of the experience. The ride in the MX must be far superior and customizable, thanks to air suspension, when compared to the MY, that’s why so many people hope for it to be an option on our stiff riding MY’s.

Last edited:
Rearrange your organs.
Hyperbole, anyone?

You obviously have not driven on Houston streets.:D Really, our surface streets are awful at best. Our streets will definitely loosen your fillings. (More hyperbole.) I’ve had my MY since June and driving it around where I live can be rough. The characteristics that give it such great handling on the highway and on smooth roads can also make it a jarring and rough ride when navigating streets with uneven pavement, pot holes, bumps, lumps and cracks. Unfortunately due to the pandemic I’ve not had to drive on highways as much as normal and being a member of our neighborhood watch team most of the 1800 miles I have on my car are driven in my neighborhood. The MY due to its weight and stiffer suspension makes speed bumps and our bad street repairs a bit of a challenge BUT I still don’t regret my purchase. My prior car was an Acura RDX and even it had trouble with our streets. My advice is before you buy, test drive it on streets that you drive regularly. I was lucky in that I was able to test drive a MY by driving it to my house and back. I was was able to see how it took the roads I drive all the time. That made my decision easy. If you can’t do what I did, you might want to scout some test drive streets similar to your regular roads to see how the MY will feel. All in all I’m not unhappy with my car. I’m considering some suspension tuning kits only because our roads suck here. I could see that if you live somewhere with good roads, the MY shouldn’t be that different that any other car with a more performance tuned suspension.

move only had the M3 and MY, but I believe that all Tesla’s will devour tires as it’s all part of the experience. The ride in the MX must be far superior and customizable, thanks to air suspension, when compared to the MY, that’s why so many people hope for it to be an option on our stiff riding MY’s.
I wonder if Tesla would add air suspension. It is a non-trivial task and would add a considerable amount to the Y's price. Also, Tesla seems to be more about reducing purchase options, not adding them. I guess it makes the cars easier to build, cutting costs. FWIW, my X would need $15,000+ worth of 2018 options to match the base 2020 X which is being sold at $9,000 less than what I paid.

I wonder if Tesla would add air suspension. It is a non-trivial task and would add a considerable amount to the Y's price. Also, Tesla seems to be more about reducing purchase options, not adding them. I guess it makes the cars easier to build, cutting costs. FWIW, my X would need $15,000+ worth of 2018 options to match the base 2020 X which is being sold at $9,000 less than what I paid.

I think adding air suspension is going to add significant cost which is not something that Tesla wants to do right now. Isn't he Model Y something like 70% of sales right now?