Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Quality of Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with most of the posts. Tesla is a sports vehicle. At least that’s they want to portray. Acceleration and all that. But that’s not a top priority for most model y buyers. We want more ride comfort. After spending 3m reading stuff online (I don’t like to call it research), Tesla ride quality is poor but that’s the same with most sports cars. Handling is excellent. I changed my suspension to Unplugged performance
That's your opinion. I find it perfect - IMO.

Agree with most of the posts. Tesla is a sports vehicle. At least that’s they want to portray. Acceleration and all that. But that’s not a top priority for most model y buyers. We want more ride comfort. After spending 3m reading stuff online (I don’t like to call it research), Tesla ride quality is poor but that’s the same with most sports cars. Handling is excellent. I changed my suspension to Unplugged performance
Wow. How were you able to poll Tesla buyers and come to that opinion? You never asked ME!!!

Seriously, it's quite impossible to say what is a "top priority for most model y buyers." If sales are any indication, what Tesla is doing is exactly right: their sales numbers continue to increase.

I've owned Mercedes-Benz and BMW vehicles and know plush vs sporty fairly well. My impression of my MY is that it tackles curves better than any other crossover/suv I've driven... better than most cars in fact. Not a lot of lean, no tire squeal, confidence inspiring. The trade-off is always going to be great handling vs. hard ride. Tesla goes after the BMW crowd. If you look at the list of the top cars traded in for the Model 3 (I suspect the MY is probably the same) only a few are spongy. I suspect those owners are bothered the most by the M3/MY ride while the Tesla/BMW crowd are most accepting. Personally, coming from a BMW, I love my MY on the curves, on/off ramps, and newly paved roads. The rest of the time I find it a bit too harsh for my liking. Fortunately, air suspension parts are showing up on the EPC for MY in China so help is on the way. The other option would be for Tesla to adopt something like GM's magnetic ride control with is really amazing. Take a Corvette or any new Cadillac for a ride and you get flat cornering AND a comfortable ride.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 6.18.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 6.18.35 PM.png
    167.2 KB · Views: 142
I've owned Mercedes-Benz and BMW vehicles and know plush vs sporty fairly well. My impression of my MY is that it tackles curves better than any other crossover/suv I've driven... better than most cars in fact. Not a lot of lean, no tire squeal, confidence inspiring. The trade-off is always going to be great handling vs. hard ride. Tesla goes after the BMW crowd. If you look at the list of the top cars traded in for the Model 3 (I suspect the MY is probably the same) only a few are spongy. I suspect those owners are bothered the most by the M3/MY ride while the Tesla/BMW crowd are most accepting. Personally, coming from a BMW, I love my MY on the curves, on/off ramps, and newly paved roads. The rest of the time I find it a bit too harsh for my liking. Fortunately, air suspension parts are showing up on the EPC for MY in China so help is on the way. The other option would be for Tesla to adopt something like GM's magnetic ride control with is really amazing. Take a Corvette or any new Cadillac for a ride and you get flat cornering AND a comfortable ride.
I came from a 5 Series and agree with what you said about the transition to Tesla. I love it.

Cadillac MagneRide suspension is the finest I've ever experienced on ANY vehicle.
I've had a stock CTS on the racetrack at 145MPH in banked corners, and at 30MPH on rough city streets. Doesn't matter which, It's always settled and responsive.
It's impressive. BMW, MB, Lexus, are OK at best by comparison. Owned them all at one point or another, and did get 307K miles from the Lexus....
But don't get me started on BMW service history....never buy one again! And while the BMW drove 'sporty', I always arrived at the destination somewhat tired.
Tesla M3/Y suspension is a whole different subject.....

I switched from a BMW X1, I don’t have the car yet, supposedly it’ll be here by 22 August, I do think that the ride quality of the model Y is definitely more plush than the BMW X1. Turns out that all BMW X1 come with M sport suspension. It is not a comfortable ride, it’s loud and extremely stiff.

I switched from a BMW X1, I don’t have the car yet, supposedly it’ll be here by 22 August, I do think that the ride quality of the model Y is definitely more plush than the BMW X1. Turns out that all BMW X1 come with M sport suspension. It is not a comfortable ride, it’s loud and extremely stiff.
Having had 3 BMW X1s in our family previously, I completely agree with your comparison to the MY. The MY is not the most smooth riding vehicle, but when you compare it to similar SUVs, it is about average for the class.

Reactions: CSTARZZ
That's a debatable statement. UPP, MPP, Ohlins are the 3 currently available, UPP around $2500, MPP around $2800, Ohlins $3800.

Quality and adjustability, rise with the cost.
All discussion of suspension on this forum is subjective.
In my opinion, the price/performance of MPP's coilovers, ie KW quality reputation, levels of adjustability, and applicability to the MY, seems the most effective of the options currently available. But I haven't driven a vehicle with them.
So that's just my opinion, as I stated earlier, ie 'seems'.

Reactions: MountainPass