Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Quality of Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I wouldn't mind which shouldn't cost much more is just electronically controlled dampening. Do not need the air system, just the shock itself as an electronic dial that adjusts from stiff to soft. Right now all the aftermarket coils and whatnot are manually adjusted which pretty much ruins the convenience unless you want to jump outside every time you change terrain type. Being able to put stiff mode on smoothly paved roads and soft elsewhere.

Got my MY with 20" for about two weeks and just like to chime in on my experience. Compared to my bmw 435 with m sports suspension and 19" michelin ps4s that has thinner side walls, the MY is still a smidge harsher. The soft seats, which are way more plush then the bimmer's or any other car that I've owned, help dampen the bumps. My 7 mile commute to work covers pretty much every local roadway condition most people normally encounters. Up to moderate condition roads, it feels like most vehicles. But when you run into anything more, like patches of asphalt, pot holes or steel plates, you can feel the pounding permeate into the cabin.

It's funny that pretty much the best compliment that I heard so far, in regards to this suspension, is simply "not bad." Unless you're coming from a lambo, this car will be as stiff if not more than the car it is replacing.

I think people considering the 20” or the 21” of the performance really need to think about the road conditions around the house and commute, I ride on the stock continental 19” and the ride is very very stiff.
Roads are terrible around my house, I feel very bump.
Thing about the tires, is they aren't even consided ECO tires. My Prius prime came with some and even when i replaced with other ECO tires the ride was still nice.

For about $3k you can switch to the luxury coilovers from Unplugged Performance or Mountain Pass Performance. Considering they dropped the price on the Model Y, you can add the suspension upgrade to it. I've already driven about 11k miles on my MY, I think mainly the passengers will complain more than the driver. Luckily my kid falls asleep to the bumpiness for now, but for sure I'll upgrade the suspension next year. Here are the links, and installation probably about $500-$600. Check out the video from Ryan Shaw which I found to be really helpful, and he says cornering/body roll was the biggest thing he noticed.

Anyone have these already and comment on their experience?

Tesla Model Y Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit by Unplugged Performance

MPP Model Y Comfort Adjustable Coilovers | Mountain Pass Performance
We have shipped a ton of these kits now and have lots of reviews from customers and forum members!

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

My driving experience with low rolling resistance (LRR) tires is with the Michelin EnergySaver A/S tires on two different vehicles. The Michelin EnergySaver A/S tire did one thing well; lowered rolling resistance for up to 8% better efficiency and range. Like many LRR tires the EnergySaver tire has a thinner, stiffer sidewall for improved rolling efficiency. The thin sidewall was prone to being damaged by even a minor encounter with a curb or road hazard even though the sidewall was reinforced with Kevlar.

The EnergySaver A/S tire was prone to hydroplaning when driving in moderate or heavy rain at speeds above 50 MPH. On dry roads the hard rubber compound used in the EnergySaver A/S tire would easily break free under acceleration especially when turning and accelerating as when turning after coming to a complete stop at an intersection. As for snow and ice the EnergySaver A/S tire had the worst traction in winter driving including snow and ice of any all season tire I have ever experienced.

The EnergySaver A/S had decent tread wear but I could not wait to replace these tires. (Replaced the Michelin EnergySaver tires with Continental PureContact A/S tires for greatly improved traction especially in winter driving at least for the first two years that I had my 2011 Ford Fusion w/AWD with the Continental tires.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: captanzuelo
I’m hoping by the time I have the change the tires the forum has a consensus on what’s the best alternative for smoother ride.

Tire replacement at the same wheel size isn't going to make a smoother ride as the ride isn't compromised by low rolling resistant tires. Have you tried changing tire pressure?

The Y and 3 are intentionally designed to have a Euro-like performance suspension. It's a deliberate choice in a performance car to keep the tire in contact with the road. In the future Tesla will likely continue to add features like an air suspension to the Y/3 to maintain average selling price. So an air suspension will probably be available eventually. But maybe not for us current owners.

The ID4 has a cheaper suspension but it may be softer. The Y has a well designed BMW-like suspension

• Disagree
Reactions: Noflash
Tire replacement at the same wheel size isn't going to make a smoother ride as the ride isn't compromised by low rolling resistant tires. Have you tried changing tire pressure?

The Y and 3 are intentionally designed to have a Euro-like performance suspension. It's a deliberate choice in a performance car to keep the tire in contact with the road. In the future Tesla will likely continue to add features like an air suspension to the Y/3 to maintain average selling price. So an air suspension will probably be available eventually. But maybe not for us current owners.

The ID4 has a cheaper suspension but it may be softer. The Y has a well designed BMW-like suspension
Tire change has a HUGE affect on ride comfort etc. I noticed this first when change the tires on my 01 focus zx3(euro suspension) from the stock tire to higher end firestone tire...it was day and night for comfort.

Reactions: PNW_Y
We had our 21 Model Y with 20 inch inductions for 28 days before my wife was t-boned by a Karen running a red. Looking to replace the vehicle, I don't think we will be getting the 20s again. They do look absolutely stunning, especially against the white paint and really made walking up to the car in a parking lot that much more special. We often joked they were worth getting a chiropractor. Honestly though, the ride goes beyond sporty/firm and well into the realm of fatigue-inducing, despite airing them down. We're coming from a Golf R and a Giulia and the Alfa in soft-damper mode feels like a Cadillac in comparison. The wife never seemed to care because she loved the car so much, but I suspect will now be more sensitive to it given her whiplash injury.

Unpopular opinion: I enjoy the ride of the Model Y with my 20" inductions. I've always preferred a tight suspension over a loose and bouncy ride.

I see people suggesting aftermarket coilovers but those will probably have the same if not higher spring rates so...it's not really going to make things more comfortable.

I see people suggesting aftermarket coilovers but those will probably have the same if not higher spring rates so...it's not really going to make things more comfortable.

Probably correct in that the aftermarket spring rates will be higher, but I think that's what we want, isn't it? The way I feel the current Model Y (at least in mine) is that the springs are not stiff enough to support the extra 500 lbs the Y has over the 3. When a spring is compressed down too far, it makes it so much easier for the entire system to *bottom out* and I feel the car is doing this.....a lot. And after the system bottoms out, well, every immediate afterwards is transmitted directly into the car body, and all the passengers. It does it on everything except the tiniest of bumps.

So wouldn't we want a tougher, stronger, *higher* spring rate to support the extra weight of the car? Granted, this will make the car go up/down a lot more, but that's why we also have shocks, to slow down the same movement.....

Probably correct in that the aftermarket spring rates will be higher, but I think that's what we want, isn't it? The way I feel the current Model Y (at least in mine) is that the springs are not stiff enough to support the extra 500 lbs the Y has over the 3. When a spring is compressed down too far, it makes it so much easier for the entire system to *bottom out* and I feel the car is doing this.....a lot. And after the system bottoms out, well, every immediate afterwards is transmitted directly into the car body, and all the passengers. It does it on everything except the tiniest of bumps.

So wouldn't we want a tougher, stronger, *higher* spring rate to support the extra weight of the car? Granted, this will make the car go up/down a lot more, but that's why we also have shocks, to slow down the same movement.....

Some aftermarket shocks and struts are designed to give more travel, so you don't have to play games with springs to avoid bottoming out.

The MPP comfort coil overs I put on my Model 3 have a similar spring rate to stock, so aftermarket does not automatically equal higher rate springs.

Our Model Y rides a lot better from the factory than our Model 3, so I won't upgrade it, although I know it would improve the ride. The biggest issue is the quality of the shocks is low on Model Y and 3, so an upgrade will improve the overall quality of the ride.

Yes, you purchased with a performance expectation (since you got MYP) but most of us didn't. MY and MYP has the same suspension system. For rest of us, we don't necessary want a stiff ride all the time. The problem has been solved, they just need to figure out how to bring it to MY.
Agree with most of the posts. Tesla is a sports vehicle. At least that’s they want to portray. Acceleration and all that. But that’s not a top priority for most model y buyers. We want more ride comfort. After spending 3m reading stuff online (I don’t like to call it research), Tesla ride quality is poor but that’s the same with most sports cars. Handling is excellent. I changed my suspension to Unplugged performance

Rearrange your organs.
Hyperbole, anyone?
Nope- that’s exactly right- not an exaggeration. But I also agree with most posts that a ride is subjective. But hold on a sec.. subjective as in the driver doesn’t care!! There should be no debate that the ride quality on Tesla MY— by that I mean feeing the bumps on the road and it’s irregularities- is poor. Again that’s how most sports cars are. If you want luxury and comfort consider other brands and models