Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride quality on 19’s vs 21 inch wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MS on order with 19 inch wheels, but I am considering changing my order to the 21’s, but I am concerned about the difference in ride quality.

can someone tell me if they’ve experienced the ride quality with both wheels and what the difference is?

As of now, my plan is to buy some aftermarket T Sportline 19 inch wheels and putting the stock tires on them, since I’m not crazy about the look of the tempest ones.

We didn’t get to test drive both options, but I can tell you the new suspension on the S make the 21s feel smoother than the 19s we had on our 2015 P85D. Granted, that was an early P85D with a very stiff suspension, so take that for what you will.

I've had both - changed to 19's very reluctantly because I so prefer the look of the 21's - and the ride with the 19's is much softer and I am glad I did it. But it is definitely a matter of personal taste, since the ride with the 21's (and air suspension) is still pretty terrific, IMO. If cost matters to you at all, replacing the 21's on an S is much more expensive and they wear quickly.

I've gone from 19 to 20 inch wheels (this is on one of the early P85Ds with the plus suspension). The ride is significantly more sporty, but not "crashy" over bumps. I can see 21s being a little too rough for a luxury sedan, though I have no personal experience.

I would keep your order the same with 19s and then upgrade to aftermarket 20" wheels.

I think 20's is the perfect compromise, but I was skeptical since I wanted my speed to read correctly. Is your range and speed accurate with the 20's since you can only choose 19 or 21 for the car on the software?

I think 20's is the perfect compromise, but I was skeptical since I wanted my speed to read correctly. Is your range and speed accurate with the 20's since you can only choose 19 or 21 for the car on the software?
when you change tire size and wheels, isn't there a change in the control [anel that allows you to change it......and dent that change make the necessary computer changes for speed and miles

I do notice my winter 19s being softer and smoother, but my summer Arachnids are not too bad when it comes to ride quality and definitely add more stiffness in the corners with more direct road feel. I actually prefer the ride with the 21s, but that’s just me. Winter temps are too cold for the tire compounds on the 21s so that’s why I switch them out once per year to the all season 19s.

Reactions: Duffer
245/40/20 and 245/45/19 have virtually identical diameters, so there would be no recalculation of speed/mileage. I think the only thing the wheel change does is alter the predicted range calculation a bit, though I haven't done testing to confirm.

245/40/20 and 245/45/19 have virtually identical diameters, so there would be no recalculation of speed/mileage. I think the only thing the wheel change does is alter the predicted range calculation a bit, though I haven't done testing to confirm.

In my experience, the heavy 21” turbines get the worst mileage - about 10% less than the 19s. Arachnids are more efficient, but are still about 3-5% less than the 19s.

It’s due to weight and the energy it takes to spin larger diameter wheels. It seems strange since the tire/wheel combined diameters are virtually the same, but the wheel diameter alone does affect overall efficiency.

I ended up with two sets of summer wheels: one set of 19" for the shoulder seasons and one set of 20" for the main summer months. The latter looks better on the car but comes with a slight penalty regarding comfort. On the other hand the steering response improves a bit. Both sets have the exact same tires so I recon the differences are mainly due to tire profile and rims.

My advice would be to start off with 19" and then later consider larger wheels. I have a dedicated set of wheels for winter use (19" as well) but not sure if that applies to where you are located.

I do notice my winter 19s being softer and smoother, but my summer Arachnids are not too bad when it comes to ride quality and definitely add more stiffness in the corners with more direct road feel. I actually prefer the ride with the 21s, but that’s just me. Winter temps are too cold for the tire compounds on the 21s so that’s why I switch them out once per year to the all season 19s.
Agreed. I much prefer the looks, ride, and handling of the Arachnids. I also have that cold weather problem. :(

Reactions: DIL
Another ride improvement is to lower unsprung weight, forged after market wheels and two piece rotors made a noticeable change for me. This is not a huge change, but may be enough. Kinda expensive though, if ride is all you want, looks and acceleration are better.

Reactions: myoda
Another ride improvement is to lower unsprung weight, forged after market wheels and two piece rotors made a noticeable change for me. This is not a huge change, but may be enough. Kinda expensive though, if ride is all you want, looks and acceleration are better.

Can you share more about your two piece rotors? Have you noticed any difference in efficiency or brake feel? Thanks!