Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Quality on UberTurbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that are a quite a few Model 3 Ps on the road on these 20" Uberturbines - what are your thoughts / experience on these wheels and tires.

I took it out for a road trip over the last weekend, the ride quality was terrible - could feel every bump

Suggestion on how can we improve the ride quality?

Very reason I bought the LR and spent the extra on FSD. But you should be able to fit 19" Martian wheels so be able to get a taller sidewall to get more comfort or change the suspension to get better ride. Sorry.

FWIW I went from the older 20" rims to some 19s and I think it helped ride quality quite a bit. Not at much as suspension i'm sure but I've been happy with the change.

Not to hate on your experience, but when you are expecting a difference, any minor change seems large. I run the 20s in the summer and 18s in the winter and the ride difference is really small. I didn't expect a radically different ride going in and it's pretty similar.

Now, on the flip side, swapping to MPP sport adjustable coilovers has been a revelation. Once I threw the 18s on for the winter, I then softened the dampers and the ride is transformed.

Reactions: dfwatt
Now that are a quite a few Model 3 Ps on the road on these 20" Uberturbines - what are your thoughts / experience on these wheels and tires.

I took it out for a road trip over the last weekend, the ride quality was terrible - could feel every bump

Suggestion on how can we improve the ride quality?

Two options: 1) reduce unsprung weight by getting a lightweight 20in forged wheel from Signature or VS forged or 2) replace the Pirelli P Zeros with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 3) exercise both (replacing both wheel and tire) 4) go to a 19-inch Wheel and Tire combination to both get more sidewall into the equation and reduce unsprung weight. Option #4 is the most radical and does not allow you to reuse either the wheel or the tire but you could sell both of them.

I can tell you from experience that I have really excellent ride in both of our cars with my wife's car having the MPP Comfort coilovers and my car having the MPP sport coilovers set more firmly on shock settings. Both cars ride really well despite 20 inch wheels so the problem is not the 20 inch wheels it's other things. The Uber turbines are pretty heavy though coming in at almost two and a half pounds heavier than the original OEM turbine Wheels. In general unsprung weight and short side walls are the enemy of ride, but Tire compounding and tire design are also critical. The extra unsprung weight of the Uber turbines Plus the less compliant ride of the Pirelli P Zeros together mean that there's a significant difference between the new 2021 ride and the older 2018 to 2020 model 3 Performance. So what you're experiencing is a real change.

20201123_113258.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: smith555
Not to hate on your experience, but when you are expecting a difference, any minor change seems large. I run the 20s in the summer and 18s in the winter and the ride difference is really small. I didn't expect a radically different ride going in and it's pretty similar.

Now, on the flip side, swapping to MPP sport adjustable coilovers has been a revelation. Once I threw the 18s on for the winter, I then softened the dampers and the ride is transformed.

I'm not disagreeing with you but you can certainly tell the harshness of a bump is absorbed more with the extra sidewall and I went with a silent tire so there is a lot less road noise as well. That being said, i'm sure MPP coilovers are a way bigger change.

I'm not disagreeing with you but you can certainly tell the harshness of a bump is absorbed more with the extra sidewall and I went with a silent tire so there is a lot less road noise as well. That being said, i'm sure MPP coilovers are a way bigger change.

For sure it is hard to quantify ride although we can quantify noise. I would encourage you to consider that changing and tuning both suspension and wheel and tire combinations is the best way to get the best possible combination of ride and handling no matter where you fall on the spectrum of preference on that point. My wife does not appreciate or need the razor sharp handling that I really enjoy, so we got the MPP Adjustable Comfort Coilovers for her car and set them at the default 12/10. It's ride has a kind of liquid quality to it that's really quite striking even compared to the stock suspension. But it's still handles really nicely. I like a much firmer ride so I got MPP Sport coilover setup and set them at a significantly firmer 10/8. But wherever your preferences are you can improve both ride and handling with careful tire selection reducing unsprung weight by going to aftermarket wheels that are lighter with forged being best, and one of the MPP kits. And if you're primarily on the street I think switching to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires if you don't already have them is a great way to get the best possible combination of ride and handling. Not a good option if you're going to be tracking the car but in terms of Street performance and making as little compromise between ride and handling that's the best tire hands down.

Last edited:
For sure it is hard to quantify ride although we can quantify noise. I would encourage you to consider that changing and tuning both suspension and wheel and tire combinations is the best way to get the best possible combination of ride and handling no matter where you fall on the spectrum of preference on that point. My wife does not appreciate or need the razor sharp handling that I really enjoy, so we got the MPP Adjustable Comfort Coilovers for her car and set them at the default 12/10. It's ride has a kind of liquid quality to it that's really quite striking even compared to the stock suspension. But it's still handles really nicely. I like a much firmer ride so I got MPP Sport coilover setup and set them at a significantly firmer 10/8. But wherever your preferences are you can improve both ride and handling with careful tire selection reducing unsprung weight by going to aftermarket wheels that are lighter with forged being best, and one of the MPP kits

On this same note. I wonder how much the OEM tesla kit costs vs if they put on a MPP like kit made in bulk. Are they parts really that much nicer where it's cost prohibitive to do so from the factory?

On this same note. I wonder how much the OEM tesla kit costs vs if they put on a MPP like kit made in bulk. Are they parts really that much nicer where it's cost prohibitive to do so from the factory?

I hear you on this one and share your thought that Tesla would be much better if they hired @MountainPass Performance to be their suspension consultants. Plus they could create an RS version that would be a wicked track car Straight Out of the Box! Unfortunately, there is a kind of insular quality to Tesla and success only increases that because it makes people think that they know everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: cab