Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 4000 miles on my Model X in a month. Took a long trip and found the ride quality to be poor. I can feel every little bump and crack of the road surface and also cabin is not quite. It was really bad in Illinois, particularly in suburbs of Chicago, as their road are really bad, with lots of bumps on joints. I felt like driving in a Ford Explorer. Is it normal in Model X? Is there a setting, I am missing that?
PS: My Lexus RX450h rides much quite and smoother than this Model X ?!?!?

My experiences are that the Teslas's are more sporty than luxury. So the ride is naturally stiffer. I actually thought AS was going to provide different stiffness's along with different heights, Was surprised to find the only 'sport' like setting was the steering.

So I think you are stuck with the stiff ride unless someone can tell both of us how to soften it. At this point (4k miles too) I have gotten used to it and now like it.

I have about 4000 miles on my Model X in a month. Took a long trip and found the ride quality to be poor. I can feel every little bump and crack of the road surface and also cabin is not quite. It was really bad in Illinois, particularly in suburbs of Chicago, as their road are really bad, with lots of bumps on joints. I felt like driving in a Ford Explorer. Is it normal in Model X? Is there a setting, I am missing that?
Do you have the 20" or 22" wheels? 20" with suspension set to standard is going to be as soft as you'll get. Letting out a couple PSI will smooth out the ride but cost you some Wh/m.

I would agree the ride quality in the X is poor.

Do you have excessive wind noise or road noise...or both?

I would agree the ride quality in the X is poor.

Do you have excessive wind noise or road noise...or both?

I disagree. After 9,000 miles including some long trips I find my MX incredibly comfortable. The only time I get some road noise is on concrete road surfaces. Asphalt is very quiet. Wind noise is minimal. However, it wasn't always that way. As I posted elsewhere, I originally had the Michelin Summer tires and they were very noisy. I switched to the Conti-Silent All-Seasons and they are much quieter. I also had wind noise issues but the SC has replaced almost every rubber gasket and seal and solved those problems. I have a very early car (delivered 2/16) but I think it is the most comfortable road trip car I have ever driven. The seats are incredibly well designed and the excellent ride quality and AP make long trips enjoyable and relaxing again.

Reactions: Rossy
Having just had my X (with the 22" wheels) in for service and got a P90DL S with the 21" wheels for the day, I agree that the ride is certaily stiffer in the X.

I keep the X in the "Low" suspension setting (but have tried the "Standard" and not found it any smoother really) and the S was in "Standard". Yes, I know those are different but they are both the second from the lowest setting in each vehicle.

I quite enjoyed the ride/handling balance in the S.

I've also done some long distance driving in the X and didn't find it uncomfortable at all.

I'm just comparing the two vehicles in back to back in around town driving.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Mjølner and Ormond
I think the ride with the 20" wheels and Standard suspension setting is quite nice comparing to the 22", getting down to low or very low makes it a bit stiff as if the springs have been "chopped", the upside is that there is almost zero body roll and very tight responsive handling at higher speeds.