Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In an effort to improve ride quality and range, I am considering dropping down to 19 inch wheels. Since 20 inch is better than 22 inch with regards to these concerns, perhaps 19 inch would even be better? Can anyone here speculate what a square setup with 265/50R19 all weather tires do to range, ride quality, and performance?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Clar=265/45-20F 275/45-20R&vehicleSearch=true

@CurrentRide which 19" wheels are you looking at for those Pirelli tires?
There may be many options, but GetYourWheels.com seems to have the best selection of reasonably priced Tesla friendly options.

TSW has several attractive choices, like this Bathurst silver:

GetYourWheels.com: TSW Wheels TSW Bathurst Silver with Mirror Cut Face Rotary Forged Wheels : Wheel and Tire Packages|Staggered Wheels|Custom Wheels|Luxury Rims

Even buying the OEM 19 inch MS wheels should work.

I drove the car I ordered today. I think the ride is firm enough to feel most road imperfections. It isn't harsh, but not smooth. It's equipped with the Continental tires and 20" wheels.

I then road in a new Porsche Macan with 20 inch wheels. The Macan has a nicer ride, at least in my short test drive.

I had displayed the tire pressure in the Tesla X and the pressure may have been 1 pound high. I'm a little disappointed.

I disagree. After 9,000 miles including some long trips I find my MX incredibly comfortable. The only time I get some road noise is on concrete road surfaces. Asphalt is very quiet. Wind noise is minimal. However, it wasn't always that way. As I posted elsewhere, I originally had the Michelin Summer tires and they were very noisy. I switched to the Conti-Silent All-Seasons and they are much quieter. I also had wind noise issues but the SC has replaced almost every rubber gasket and seal and solved those problems. I have a very early car (delivered 2/16) but I think it is the most comfortable road trip car I have ever driven. The seats are incredibly well designed and the excellent ride quality and AP make long trips enjoyable and relaxing again.

I think I am having quite a bit of road noise/wind noise. How do I tell the difference? How big of a difference did the conti-silent tires make? When I drive on concrete surfaces on certain highway stretches no one can hear me on bluetooth and it is extremely noisy in the car.

Is there there any way to tell visually that the gaskets and seals are off? Below is a video of my road noise and some other weird noise I am having.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy
I am having the same problem. I have taken it into service once already. This seems to be a quality of the car that I am extremely disappointed with. Evertytime I drive the car my blood pressure goes up. Why should any car have such noise?
So besides all the repair issues the ride is aggravating as well

I have about 4000 miles on my Model X in a month. Took a long trip and found the ride quality to be poor. I can feel every little bump and crack of the road surface and also cabin is not quite. It was really bad in Illinois, particularly in suburbs of Chicago, as their road are really bad, with lots of bumps on joints. I felt like driving in a Ford Explorer. Is it normal in Model X? Is there a setting, I am missing that?
PS: My Lexus RX450h rides much quite and smoother than this Model X ?!?!?
The roads around Chicago are terrible. Last time I drove through there headed north, shook the fillings right out of my head. Lol. That freeze/thaw cycle, and poor state government are a nasty combo.

I think I am having quite a bit of road noise/wind noise. How do I tell the difference? How big of a difference did the conti-silent tires make? When I drive on concrete surfaces on certain highway stretches no one can hear me on bluetooth and it is extremely noisy in the car.

Is there there any way to tell visually that the gaskets and seals are off? Below is a video of my road noise and some other weird noise I am having.

It's tough to tell from your video, particularly because I don't know what speed you are travelling at, but the low rumbling noise sounds like road noise. The Conti's made a significant difference. There is always more noise on concrete than good blacktop but the Conti's are quieter than the Michelins on both surfaces. The whistling sound at the end is definitely wind noise. Try moving you phone/microphone around the car so it is close to the various gaskets and seals and that should help pinpoint the noise.

As far as visually inspecting the seals, a couple of mine had obvious kinks but some were not obvious. It really depends on how good your SC is and how much time they are willing to spend running down the problems and fixing them. The guys in the Paramus SC have been fantastic at diagnosing and fixing the problems. In several cases they found noises I didn't even notice and fixed them. From what I'm reading here, I am lucky in that the Paramus and Springfield, NJ SC's are really diligent about satisfying customers.

It's tough to tell from your video, particularly because I don't know what speed you are travelling at, but the low rumbling noise sounds like road noise. The Conti's made a significant difference. There is always more noise on concrete than good blacktop but the Conti's are quieter than the Michelins on both surfaces. The whistling sound at the end is definitely wind noise. Try moving you phone/microphone around the car so it is close to the various gaskets and seals and that should help pinpoint the noise.

As far as visually inspecting the seals, a couple of mine had obvious kinks but some were not obvious. It really depends on how good your SC is and how much time they are willing to spend running down the problems and fixing them. The guys in the Paramus SC have been fantastic at diagnosing and fixing the problems. In several cases they found noises I didn't even notice and fixed them. From what I'm reading here, I am lucky in that the Paramus and Springfield, NJ SC's are really diligent about satisfying customers.

So much for the continental conti-silent solution, I already have them! Lol. The car was delivered with them and the road noise is still crazy.

I have been not happy with the road noise at all. In 4 months, I took the X to SC twice, but they have failed to make it quieter. May be, I am used to ride quite cars!!!
On a side note,
Which suspension setting, I should drive it at? Does "Standard" setting gives you better ride? Should I keep it at "Low" all the time?

Reactions: Rossy
Others have posted that the high setting is smoother (more suspension travel). I haven't done any objective testing but it would be interesting to do. I usually drive in standard around town and have it set to got to "low" at 60 mph. I have tried high around town and I think it's a little softer ride, but I really can't swear to it.

Tires will make a significant difference in both road noise and ride quality. TireRack.com is an excellent resource for researching tires. The Continental CrossContacts are a good tire, but not great for noise and ride quality:
  • Ride Quality Noise Treadwear
  • 6.6 6.3 3.4
We have new Michelin Premier LTX tires on our X6 and they are FANTASTIC. Here are the corresponding numbers for the Michelins:
  • Ride Quality Noise Treadwear
  • 9.3 9.4 9.0
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=65VR0PRLTX&tab=Sizes

Note that the Michelins are not available in 265/45R20 so you would have to go with 255's or 275's in front. They make a 255/55/R20 with sufficient load rating- that would likely be my choice even though it is slightly undersized. I don't know the wheel width to verify they would be a good fit, so check into that before making a purchase. Also note that some installers will refuse to install anything other than the manufacturer spec tire without having you sign a waiver.

Here is a link to the TireRack.com size comparison tool: Tire Size Calculator & Converter, Tire Size Conversion | Discount Tire

I have continental sport tires, does anyone know if that also has that foam padding? If not, do you guys think changing to conti silent with the foam will help my road noise? Wind noise and trucks driving by is what bothers me the most.