Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
some pretty damning comments in here. i hope to score a test drive soon and will report back my impressions.

just finished an overnight test drive in a Model X P90D with 22" wheels.

i couldn't disagree more with the naysayers. i found the ride to be very, very nice with a good balance between comfort and sportiness. potholes were well soaked-up (even with 22's!) and i didn't hear any rattles (even with an earlyish 8,000 VIN). the steering was very responsive and fun.

Reactions: goneskiian
I find the MX w/ SAS riding on 20" wheels to be a very comfortable ride. It's not fully isolated, but it does a good job of dampening. In comparison to our MS w/o SAS on 19" wheels, it rides tremendously better.

For those comparing with a Porsche Cayenne, I also think it depends on the suspension package. I think it rides very similar to a Cayenne w/ standard coil springs & PASM (adaptive shocks) but lags behind a Cayenne w/ air suspension & PASM.

I have a Sept 2016 mfg model X with 20 inch wheels. I was bothered by road noise and when I drove a model S during service, it was much quieter than my X. I believe that a large majority of the noise problem is tired related. This is based on my highway speed observation of my normal highway in Dallas which has a concrete surface, but, with 1/4-1/2 mile smooth asphalt surface where repairs were done. The DB level disparity on asphalt v. concrete is tremendous. It is the difference between hearing the radio or having to turn it up to hear it. The difference between talking in a quiet room vs. in a crowded restaurant. So, my deduction is, the tires are the primary noise problem. I want to try some things to reduce noise if that is possible because I love the car, but hate the noise.

The Conti-silent tires are getting bad reviews for lack of tread wear and quick loss of sound dampening. What other model tires do you find most effective at road noise dampening?

Will Dynamat work when the road sounds are allegedly travelling along the vehicle suspension into the cabin?

Is there a product that can be applied in the wheel well area that is an effective sound dampener?

Would sure love to hear your input!

PS Yes, the model X has a stiff and responsive ride. If you want a squishy soft ride and turn, this vehicle may not be for you. However, the seats are very grippy and I enjoy the control I have which is vastly different from the Yukon I had before this.

Reactions: Rossy
he Conti-silent tires are getting bad reviews for lack of tread wear and quick loss of sound dampening. What other model tires do you find most effective at road noise dampening?

As I've stated elsewhere, my Conti-Silents have almost 16,000 miles and still have 6/32 - 7/32 tread left. I have not noticed an increase in road noise. Yes, there is a tremendous difference in road noise between asphalt and concrete.

I have about 4000 miles on my Model X in a month. Took a long trip and found the ride quality to be poor. I can feel every little bump and crack of the road surface and also cabin is not quite. It was really bad in Illinois, particularly in suburbs of Chicago, as their road are really bad, with lots of bumps on joints. I felt like driving in a Ford Explorer. Is it normal in Model X? Is there a setting, I am missing that?
PS: My Lexus RX450h rides much quite and smoother than this Model X ?!?!?
I wish I had read your posting before I purchased my 2017 Model X! I now have 15,000 miles and it definitely rides like a truck; my 2008 RX400h is infinitely softer and cushier. The RX has Michelin tires though, while X has Continental; I wonder if that could make a difference. Any thoughts on this?

I wish I had read your posting before I purchased my 2017 Model X! I now have 15,000 miles and it definitely rides like a truck; my 2008 RX400h is infinitely softer and cushier. The RX has Michelin tires though, while X has Continental; I wonder if that could make a difference. Any thoughts on this?

I don’t think there’s a tire in the world that would make the MX ride like a Lexus. They’re just engineered completely differently. As a generalization..

MX is tuned like Acura’s, Infiniti, BMWs are. They’re geared on the sportier end with stiffer rides.

Lexus is on the other end of the spectrum with Mercedes and move towards the comfort/isolation end.

A softer tire will help, but I don’t think you’ll ever get it to ride like the Lexus without a whole new suspension.

Yinn is correct. The lexus is designed to ride like a marshmallow on a stack of down pillows, whereas the Tesla is designed to hug corners and be extremely responsive in all ways. Part of this is due to the weight of the battery that makes Teslas super heavy. I think a soft suspension of would unworkable given the weight. As for tires, there will be a trade off of softer tires giving a smoother ride vs. the conti-silents which are the quietest tire I'm aware of. I think it won't be too long before some mfgs have tesla specific tires designed from the get go...vs. the continentals that are an existing tire with a foam layer added for sound dampening. They need a tire that is strong enough to handle the weight and the instant high torque, but is also quiet.

Road maintenance in the US look like as if the department in charge had gone bankrupt. With the speed limit set to 55/65 mph, safety doesn't seem enough reason to keep them in better conditions. Come to Europe and enjoy roads designed designed to safely exceed 100 mph. Pavement in US roads is really bad, and whilst Tesla suspension may do a good job, it will do no miracles. Get rid of the 22" and go for the 20".

I just had my 2016 X in for replacement of the 12V battery. Turns out they didn't have one, so it took till the next day and in the mean time, I drove X 100D with 850 miles on it. It had the big tires on it (22 v 20? that I have which should mean a rougher ride). Lets just say that the improvement in the ride from 2016 to 2018 is night and day. The door/window seals are 100% improved. The overall noise level is, subjectively 1/2 what my car is. The way it takes bumps is completely different and better. It still has tight suspension and handling, but, the excessive noise and taking small bumps hard has been resolved. The seats are now a lot more padded as well. It was a bit frustrating going back to my car today with the same old noise and bumpy ride. This is what you get for being an early adopter of a new model car from a new car company, so, I'm not bitching as much as bringing the update for anyone who may read this. The X's current ride is outstanding.

As noted above, there are several factors that contribute to ride comfort -- everything between your a$$ and the concrete.

The first and last contact points (seats and wheels/tires) are the most important.

I can't speak to older MX's as ours is a recent 2018 build, but for heaven's sakes - get the 20" wheels if you're concerned about ride comfort.

On a related note, we also have a Ford Mustang GT - it's a third car so I care less about comfort. But we switched from 19" to 20" and it feels like a completely different vehicle. Much rougher ride - but looks 1000% better.