Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride / sound comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been covered multiple times over - I have a M3 in order but am having second thoughts. Looking for some advice from owners that now have their M3 - whilst I did test drive the M3 LR I found the ride quality mixed, reasonably ok around test but crashy over large bumps. For those that have kids - have they ever complained about the bumpiness? Now that you are living with the car day in day out is it bearable or do you have any regrets. Then the sound insulation - again ok around town but very noisy on the motorway above 70. Do you find long journeys unpleasant? A 30 minute test drive doesn’t really give you a full view of what it is like to live with a car - other than sampling the performance around Milton Keynes - so keen for opinions of current owners. Cheers

We have a 2019 SR+ on 18inch wheels and find the ride to be pretty good compared to our BMW 640d Gran Coupe on 20inchers. Noise is also comparable, if anything quieter overall in the M3, depends on road surface though.

The newer cars have double glazing in the front so I’d expect even better.

I suppose it depends what you are comparing it to…

Sorry if this has been covered multiple times over - I have a M3 in order but am having second thoughts. Looking for some advice from owners that now have their M3 - whilst I did test drive the M3 LR I found the ride quality mixed, reasonably ok around test but crashy over large bumps. For those that have kids - have they ever complained about the bumpiness? Now that you are living with the car day in day out is it bearable or do you have any regrets. Then the sound insulation - again ok around town but very noisy on the motorway above 70. Do you find long journeys unpleasant? A 30 minute test drive doesn’t really give you a full view of what it is like to live with a car - other than sampling the performance around Milton Keynes - so keen for opinions of current owners. Cheers
Took delivery of mine on saturday and straight away did a long motorway journey in it, I don't personally think it is any louder than my old car for road/wind noise (had a BMW M140i) and was a pleasant journey, the only difference is that the road and wind noise is the only noise you hear, rather than the engine as well.

Can't say I found it any louder than previous car (Land Rover Discovery Sport) but that had 20" wheels which I'm sure added to the discomfort / noise. Model 3 has the 18" aeros for comparison.

One thing I have noticed is a constant "hum" when doing over 60mph. Seems to be a common thing with the model 3 based on what I've seen online.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yachtsman
When I test drove a M3LR I had a DB meter app on my phone to measure the noise at motorway speeds. Seemed to be the same as my S-Max Vignale (Ford's flagship, luxury trim level) @70db so I crossed that off the list of things to worry about. I wouldn't concern yourself too much if I were you, it appears to be pretty typical. If you are concerned about ride quality, stick with the standard Aero wheels (you'll save a grand and get marginally better range, too). Oh and regarding going over bumps around town, the S-Max would really chuck me around and I didn't notice this in the M3. That said, I could not try it on my local streets as the showroom was out of the range of a 30 minute drive. But I am pretty sure it felt better.

For me It's rougher than the leaf it replaced, which I believe is by design (stiffer suspension) but it's not unacceptable even in this area with speed bumps every few yards.

Road noise is the one that gets me.. at 15mph it's louder than a BMW at 70 (comparing a phone app to statistics online, which I know isn't particularly accurate but as a rough guide) and coming from the practically silent leaf was a shock. I hear the newer ones have gone a long way to improving this aspect - you don't see people spending money on noise reduction kits so much any more, so may not be an issue any more.

To be honest though if you didn't notice this on your test drive you won't notice it as an owner either.. both are immediately apparent when you're driving it even for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
It is a sports saloon, not a comfortable limousine.
Far, far quieter than the Mercedes C63 estate it replaced, far less crashy.
Road noise is very sensitive to the road surface. On some recently laid low noise tarmac it is all but silent, on some worn 30 year old tarmac it is noisy..
Overall I'd rate it as quiet.. possibly because the absence of engine noise!

Then the sound insulation - again ok around town but very noisy on the motorway above 70. Do you find long journeys unpleasant?
If you noticed this on the test drive, you will notice it much more driving the car regularly. Everyone has different needs in a car, but after owning a Model 3 Performance for 2 years, I can tell you the noise levels (and the ride) are the primary reasons I won't be staying with a Model 3. I've moving to the BMW i4 when my lease expires in a few months.

I moved from a Jag XF and a Discovery sport. The M3+ is slightly harder suspension and similar noise in the cabin but the main difference is I had a frown on when filling up the two diesel cars and I have a smile on charging the M3+ at home and a very large smile on my face when I drive it :) The driving enjoyment cannot be beaten at this price.

My family hated riding in the back of my BMW M3 3 series because they felt they got thrown around in corners a lot and the low suspension would always scrapeon speed bumps.
In contrast the love the M3 - it just glides around, no more complaints of being throw around or getting "car sick"

Noisiest car I've had for a while, including ICE, especially on the motorway but its not bad and I have had nice cars against which to compare. We've also got a high end BMW (I say high end, it cost virtually the same as our M3 LR, it's easy to forget how expensive Teslas are and what deals you used to be able to get on ICE) and thats notably quieter when cruising, that said its not bad enough to do anything about it and its a lot quieter in some respects like under acceleration when no engine makes a big difference. Suspension wise its firm but ok on 18" wheels

Surprised some say less likely to feel car sick, thats one complaint I've had (although only once) and reading around at the time it is more prone in EVs in general, something I believe to do with the micros adjustments of speed due to regen when you lift slightly and the instant throttle response.

Thanks all - reminds me of an A35 that I previously leased. Fairly noisy on anything other than on smooth tarmac.
One of these?? Quite a bit quieter, I presume...

Black_Austin_A35.jpg

People clearly have different experiences and expectations, perhaps based on what they have driven on the past.

For me wind noise and tyre noise on my M3P are totally unacceptable for a car in this price range. It’s MUCH noisier than my A6, which I still have. A long motorway journey is very fatiguing with the constant loud noise.

Add to that the crap windscreen wipers, diabolically poor auto headlights and frequent instances of phantom braking on my M3. This means I reserve the M3 for fun local driving with a heavy right foot, and I tend to use the A6 for longer motorway journeys, especially in the dark or in bad weather.

There are just too many unacceptable compromises on the M3, which means my next car will not be a Tesla. But don’t let me put you off!

I'm annoyed by the uneven wind noise in my 2019 M3, even though it is objectively quieter than any previous or current car I've owned. But it is livable. The great sound system (or a nearby car) easily drowns it out. I'm just back from a 2000 mile road trip that was fantastically better than the same done trip a year ago in a "luxury" pickup truck.