Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Suspension - Very High

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure, it is really only useful perhaps in higher snow, when you need to clear some mess on the street better, or perhaps avoid scraping the front in a steep climb up/down. Perhaps on caking mud streets, gravel, etc.

It won't stay on very high above speeds 15/20 mph, then lowers to high which has a max of like 35mph or so, then lowers to standard automatically. Somewhere around those limits.

I use it all the time. It is mostly used for off-highway use. I live in a rural foothills area and drive on dirt for two miles before I reach pavement. The high suspension is one reason I quickly settled on the MX. We have thunder storms and washouts on our roads and some sandy areas. In each of these situation my Snowball is truly a four-wheeled SUV. My other cars would get stuck or high bottom. Snowball takes them with ease. In addition I find that the high position lets in far less dust from the dirt roads than when lowered. It is amazing to watch out the rear camera and see the dramatic difference in dust from low to high. The lower setting creates a nice ground effect that helps mileage. But I am so thankful for the adjustable suspension. The GPS control is also amazing as Snowball automatically raises and lowers before and after the pavement ends. For me this is a wow factor and my friends not only envy my high 4X4 ride on the roads but are blown away by the auto lift and lowering feature. Nothing like it out there.

Does anyone know why SC would set Suspension to Very High from Low? Does anyone drive on the Very High Suspension? What are the pros and cons of this? I don't understand why SC had reset this:confused:
I think the SC set it to very high when they pick your car up from your house with a carrier car, not to scrape the bottom of the car. And I guess they forgot to reset the car memory so your car just auto remembered the location for auto raise...

Reactions: mxnym
I use it all the time. It is mostly used for off-highway use. I live in a rural foothills area and drive on dirt for two miles before I reach pavement. The high suspension is one reason I quickly settled on the MX. We have thunder storms and washouts on our roads and some sandy areas. In each of these situation my Snowball is truly a four-wheeled SUV. My other cars would get stuck or high bottom. Snowball takes them with ease. In addition I find that the high position lets in far less dust from the dirt roads than when lowered. It is amazing to watch out the rear camera and see the dramatic difference in dust from low to high. The lower setting creates a nice ground effect that helps mileage. But I am so thankful for the adjustable suspension. The GPS control is also amazing as Snowball automatically raises and lowers before and after the pavement ends. For me this is a wow factor and my friends not only envy my high 4X4 ride on the roads but are blown away by the auto lift and lowering feature. Nothing like it out there.
That sounds great! One question - does the car remembers the location to lower the suspension? I guess it only automatically raise, and auto lowering is based on the speed.

The local SC also set mine to Very high. As I was driving away I had to keep lowering it since every time I did after a short distance it would go back to high. I suspect they did it during a test drive, I have no idea why they would do that?
That must have been annoying :)

You can disable auto raising of air suspension by stopping the car when you notice auto raise, open your settings, and click x on "automatically raise suspension at this location".

How much do you weigh? Ok ok bad joke...

Not sure if that's saved in your personal drivers profile, but nonetheless, they run through and troubleshoot so many cars that it's probably hard to return the vehicle in the exact same settings as arrived. I wouldn't think twi...I mean 3 times about it.

Interesting thing I noticed today when I was in the vicinity of the SC, the suspension changed to Very High as I was driving!! While driving away from that location, it didn't revert back to Low, I had to do it myself. Any idea if there is a way to change this so that it can go back to Low on its own?

I noticed posts on the Model 3 forum where owners are installing aftermarket springs to lower their cars. Believe they want it to look cool and perhaps handle better. In the X you simply push a button and down it goes.

I have begun running mine in Low setting.

I have begun running mine in Low setting.

Unless you need extra ground clearance, I find low setting (not very low) is the best compromise for normal roads. Ride quality is the same, handling definitely better as you would expect. Just have to keep an eye on tyre wear depending on when your car was built (low is now the factory default setting, so camber etc is optimised for that setting).