Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous battery drain, this can't be right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the car does not go to sleep, it will drain. If you turned on sentry mode because you left it at the shop, then it wont go to sleep, then it will drain. If the car needs to do a software update, it will wake up, and car not asleep = drain.

See the post #13 in this thread by @Wennfred , if you havent already, for answers to your "any ideas?" question.

Thanks. I just got the car and dropped it off and have no idea about all these stuffs. :p

Surely something must be wrong? Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is it indeed Sentry Mode that's the problem? Why? What use is it as a feature if it's too battery-draining to actually use? Or might something else be causing it?
This is no different that if you had a desktop PC running off of your car's battery all the time. With sentry, the computer is on, the cameras are on, and image processing is running. As others have pointed out, Sentry consumes about a mile of range per hour... so if you really intend to leave it on 24/7, you're going to "lose" 24 mi of range every day to do that.

And at about 250W and the national average electricity rate ($0.13/kWh), Sentry costs about you about $0.0325 per hour to have sentry on... that's just under $0.80/day

Also, sentry turns off if you batt drops below 20%

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
This is no different that if you had a desktop PC running off of your car's battery all the time. With sentry, the computer is on, the cameras are on, and image processing is running. As others have pointed out, Sentry consumes about a mile of range per hour... so if you really intend to leave it on 24/7, you're going to "lose" 24 mi of range every day to do that.

And at about 250W and the national average electricity rate ($0.13/kWh), Sentry costs about you about $0.0325 per hour to have sentry on... that's just under $0.80/day

Also, sentry turns off if you batt drops below 20%

He's in the UK, so the cost is more like 15 pence per kW/Hr. Let's do that math again:

15 pence per kW/h. Divide by 1000 and then *250 for hourly rate, then multiply by 24 is 90 pence a day. That's 27 GBP per month for standing still or a little over $30.

Another way to look at it is it's the equivalent of a 90% charge each month or almost 10% overhead on someone doing 20k miles a year.

It's still a lot cheaper than petrol, but it does eat into the savings Tesla claim you get from switching quite considerably. That's the point he was making.

• Informative
Reactions: BittermanAndy
Since op is not responding I would suggest to redirect him to the other 5-10 posts on the subject. I think it is time to have a mamuth post where we explain the basics of EPA rated miles.

OP, if you want to understand what is going on with the car, please read the forum. Here is a good start and you can move from there to the other posts I commented on.

Lost 40 miles range on a 11mile regular journey?? New Model 3

I take delivery last Friday and drove 6 miles to the tint/pff/ceramic coating shop and the car be at the shop since then. My range go down from 270 miles to 214 miles now. Just wonder, the car sitting there will lose approx. 20 miles a day? or the car try to do some software update? Any idea?

Did you see Ferris Beuler's Day Off?

....need more information to see what's the cause here. Were you flooring the car a lot, what was the temperature outside, rain/snow/wind, AC/heater use etc.

Definitely not flooring it, driving it like it's on eggshells at the moment, it's all brand new! Mainly rainy but not too cold.

Sounds like you've had Sentry mode on for 50 hours or so. So this all makes sense (it's not the cameras - it's the computer that has to stay running that burns ~250W...). Probably best to use it only when you need it!

Well, since Sunday evening when I unplugged (so 96 hours or so?), I've driven to work and back three times - 90ish miles of driving. Battery dropped from 281 miles to 40 miles, and I've now plugged in (from now on I'll plug in most nights). That's crazy high compared to what I was expecting.

A bunch of people on this thread seem to be trying to talk down to me about this (I've largely avoided responding to that kind of rudeness directly). The only talk about range online is how Tesla have solved the "range problem" of EVs. But... I've just got 90 miles out of a full charge. That is not what I was led to believe in advance.

OK, I can turn off Sentry Mode except when I need it, but when is "when you need it"? I won't know in advance when someone intends to bump into my car while parking, or break in, or...

It's recommended by Tesla to plug in the vehicle whenever you are not using it.

Happily, at home, I can do this. When, say, I visit my parents over Christmas, I'll be staying with them for a week and I'll want Sentry Mode on as it'll be parked at the side of the road. Effectively that's not a realistic option. I thought it would be.

So to Summarize what is off: [...] That should do it, give it a try. Fred

Thanks for the suggestions, very useful.

Another way to look at it: Running Sentry Mode 24/7 would increase energy use by 80% for a typical 10k-mile-per-year driver. :eek:

Yeah, that's about what I'm looking at I guess. This is not widely discussed.

It's still a lot cheaper than petrol, but it does eat into the savings Tesla claim you get from switching quite considerably. That's the point he was making.

Yeah, exactly this. And to emphasise, this is all quite unexpected to me as a new owner. There might be other threads on this subject here, but that's out of thousands on the forum so pardon me to those who thought it fun to criticise me for missing them. And the news sites and blogs don't seem to mention it - go check them out now, they'll all have something on there about "SENTRY MODE CATCHES VANDAL" and nowhere in that article will it say "by the way, if you actually use Sentry Mode, you'll run out of battery three times as quickly". Again, some here are talking like I should just magically know that somehow. Well, I didn't.

I guess now I do.

Last edited:
Definitely not flooring it, driving it like it's on eggshells at the moment, it's all brand new! Mainly rainy but not too cold. ...
Wet roads will significantly degrade efficiency. I'd suggest using the energy screen to see how your efficiency is at different parts of your commute. I feel that you can find your way to getting closer to the rated range.

Reactions: BittermanAndy
Ive had the exact same issue bought the car this weekend had 260 miles drove 30 miles gone down to 146 miles yes i do have sentry mode on I have to have it on its different in uk lost extra 84 miles in 2 days if this is the case might have to invest in dash cam but it wont cover all three ends can anyone help

Well, your fossil car never had sentry on, did you suffer from it? Sentry mode uses the cameras and sensors While parked and will drain your battery. You can have the dash cams on, but disable sentry, these are two separate things. As for lost range, there have been many discussions, you can read my posts and comments. Drive with chill on, AC disabled and HVAC set to manual blowing, and don't do crazy accelerations and you will get more miles than rated(I do)
And if you want to understand phantom drain while parked have a look here

Tesla Model 3 Vampire Drain (aka loosing mileage when stationary)

Well, your fossil car never had sentry on, did you suffer from it? Sentry mode uses the cameras and sensors While parked and will drain your battery. You can have the dash cams on, but disable sentry, these are two separate things. As for lost range, there have been many discussions, you can read my posts and comments. Drive with chill on, AC disabled and HVAC set to manual blowing, and don't do crazy accelerations and you will get more miles than rated(I do)
And if you want to understand phantom drain while parked have a look here

Tesla Model 3 Vampire Drain (aka loosing mileage when stationary)
Thanks will have a look but switching everything off ? If I checked my diesel car on app it does not drain any battery and dash cams no battery lost so sentry mode should not be draining battery like mad we should be able to challenge these ice cars at the moment am losing with my sons car he gets better range hence more money for charging and no I don't want to drive like learner .I never expected all this I hope tesla fixed quickly

There is really nothing to "fix" . The car did not even ship with sentry mode. it was added after the fact to help address window break ins. Your diesel car did NOT have "sentry mode". If it did, point out which car you had. It might have had a dash cam that you added after market, hooked up to the battery.

If you didnt "drive like a learner" your diesel car likely didnt get its rated miles ei
Ive had the exact same issue bought the car this weekend had 260 miles drove 30 miles gone down to 146 miles yes i do have sentry mode on I have to have it on its different in uk lost extra 84 miles in 2 days if this is the case might have to invest in dash cam but it wont cover all three ends can anyone help

as people have said, sentry mode drains an average of 1-2 miles PER HOUR. So, 24-48 miles PER DAY. If you "have to have it on" then you will either need to deal with that drain, or buy an after market dash cam. I would not expect it to get much better, because the sentry mode does not let the car sleep, so all systems are awake.

Dont expect it to get significantly better., so plan accordingly.

• Informative
Reactions: jerseygirl18
There is really nothing to "fix" . The car did not even ship with sentry mode. it was added after the fact to help address window break ins. Your diesel car did NOT have "sentry mode". If it did, point out which car you had. It might have had a dash cam that you added after market, hooked up to the battery.

If you didnt "drive like a learner" your diesel car likely didnt get its rated miles ei

as people have said, sentry mode drains an average of 1-2 miles PER HOUR. So, 24-48 miles PER DAY. If you "have to have it on" then you will either need to deal with that drain, or buy an after market dash cam. I would not expect it to get much better, because the sentry mode does not let the car sleep, so all systems are awake.

Dont expect it to get significantly better., so plan accordingly.
since it appears you are quite knowledgeable on the sentry mode...i have a question.
what exactly does sentry do ..i have no USB loaded so i'm just wondering. Thanks in Advance