Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous Tesla Trade-In Policy [tesla will only take trade in on vehicle delivery]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s still 5700
Hey Newto3: thank you for responding to my comment. I called Tesla again this morning and got clarification.

The first CSA I spoke to indicated that Tesla does not honor state tax credits for trade in value and Tesla simply deducts the trade in value from the bottom line total. He then reiterated that trade-in is optional and provided only as a courtesy and that I may receive a better valuation for my trade in if I sell to a third party.

Today, I spoke with another CSA that looked at my reservation details and noted that no tax consideration was given to the trade in. She contacted the finance department and was told that until my new MYLR had a VIN assigned and delivery was within 30 days, the taxes would remain uncalculated (due to the possibility that the valuation of the trade in will change).

As stated before, when I got my initial appraisal, I saw the tax figure drop to ~$3,600. Of note, my EDD was within 7 days at that point; easily within the 30-day window. After I accepted the appraisal value, my EDD moved out to 2/12-3/12. I think there may be a trigger in the system that calculates the taxes when the delivery date crosses the threshold of 30 days out.

Recommendation to all: take screenshots of any changes to your financials! Having that backup would have helped on my first call.

Reactions: Newto3