TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Riding in an ICE makes my little girls cry

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JohnQ, May 1, 2013.

1. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

While my wife was out of town last week I picked up my 6 year old twin girls after extended day at school. I got my S on Tuesday and they were the first passengers that same day. They loved the seats, the play any song feature on Slacker and the cool new tech. But that paled compared to the thrill of acceleration. "Go fast, Dad" was a constant refrain all week when they got in the car.

Yesterday, my wife went to pick up the girls at school for gymnastics and Ellie burst into tears upon seeing the minivan waiting for her. She desperately wanted to ride in "the red car." My wife said "next time we'll take the Audi" (which is red) but Ellie cried harder because she wanted to ride in Dad's car. Nice going, Tesla, you've made my little girls cry ... is there now an X in our future?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Smart kids! That's a good story.

3. Zextraterrestrial

:biggrin:
    I cry when I have to ride in, or god forbid, drive an ICE.
    The S gets lots of miles on it just to stay away from the other cars

lucky kids to 'grow up' with a Model S!

4. Jack

Jack P-880

#4 Jack, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    During the EV rally in Westport last week, i met the Consumer Reports reporter covering the MS at the Milford Supercharger. He asked me to contribute to his write-up. Regarding problems encountered, i wrote:

• Problems encountered so far One major problem – I can no longer tolerate driving my ICE cars. I bought car covers for them – and on the rare occasion I want to make a trip back to the ICE age – I find the batteries depleted (ironic, eh?) and the tires tend to go flat. I just returned a Hertz car and answered honestly his question about how the car was – it sucks. Disgusting going into a petrol station and punching in credit card and zip code and smelling that stuff versus plugging in at home – will never ever buy another ICE car. Second problem is my wife tells me to not talk about Tesla so much in all our social occasions.

Your girls have great taste!

5. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

I've seen your red Model S - I'd cry too if, after that, I had to ride in a minivan!

I had a similar problem with my kids when I got my Model S. Kids are smart.

6. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

My kids constantly want me to pick them up instead of Mom. This is doubly true when they are riding somewhere with a friend. My wife is too afraid to drive the MS for the time being, but I'm getting tired of being the chauffeur, so she's going to have to learn soon. They are beyond disappointed whenever they have to go in Mom's car (a 2013 Mercedes GL 450).

On Saturday night for the first time we had a full load of 7 people in the car, including my two young nieces with my three kids. We had their mother a bit concerned when we said that the girls were "in the trunk", but we sent her a picture and then she saw the seats when we dropped them off. The kids definitely enjoyed themselves!

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Perhaps :) I made my X reservation this week after my wife came home and asked "when is the model X going to be available?"

She's been taking my car more and more every day. :)

8. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Drove my ICE (Lexus LX470) today. What a POS. Oh, I mean, it USED to be a damn nice ride. But now, it feels like a total POS.

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

My situation's similar to Arnold Panz's above. Wife's wary of driving the big S and is more comfy with her Mini Clubman.

Had to carpool yesterday as we had an errand to run together (and my wife had to drive to her workplace from my office) so, we took the Mini while the S was quietly sitting in the garage letting the vampire do its thing; our 6-year-old son went "aaaaaah!" (the sing-song way) as he not only had to fit his now-54"-tall body into the tight fit in the Mini but, also had to give up on Slacker and the full-time rear view camera.

After driving the Mini to work, my head was pounding from all the noise, the harshness of the ride and the claustrophobic confines! To think that I considered that car a "cool ride" just a few months ago!

My wife actually mentioned the other day that she'd be interested in switching to a smaller EV herself (hallelujah!) after driving the S on a couple of short drives. Gen 3 can't come around soon enough :)

10. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Today it was in the 80's and sunny. Great motorcycle riding weather. I took Lithie.

Looks like ALL of our gas powered vehicles are now becoming obsolete.

11. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Now I have a Volt and MS. My 2.5 YO has learned that cars go 'VROOOM!' at day care. Im worried that we may be confusing her since our cars don't.

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Ha ha. They've got to redo all the children's books to fix the car references - no more "Vroom" or smoke coming from behind. How about "Pfeeee!" instead? :)

13. Nikoli

Nikoli Member

I still love our MINI Clubman S, even though the ride is very harsh (coilovers). It fits like a glove and is amazing in the corners. We may have to trade it in when the next generation Tesla roadster is released.

Our other two ICE trucks on the other hand, good lord. What a nightmare. They're reserved for more questionable parts of town and sketchy parking lots.

14. jive_devil

jive_devil Member

This is a great story. Picked up my MS today, and my 2 year old absolutely refuses to go in the minivan. Oh yeah, and she wants to ride in back with her brothers, but that's not going to happen until she adds a few inches.

Now just hoping my wife doesn't force me to swap out with her "to keep the kids happy".

15. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Like Mike said earlier, kids are smart! Me, not so much ... guess who's taking them to swim practice on Saturday rather than going for a bike ride? That's right ...

16. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

My kids ask for the same... so before the Model S I was dropping the kids at school every other days... now I have to do it every day... My wife is happy until she got her Gen III

17. dave

dave Member

Haha, my girls are always excited to ride in the Model S too! I think it mostly has to do with the Slacker radio so they can listen to their songs. They do beg me to go fast as well though. :)

18. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

What's even more amazing is how none of our kids (assuming they're pretty young) will ever drive an ICE car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2