Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Riding in an ICE makes my little girls cry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While my wife was out of town last week I picked up my 6 year old twin girls after extended day at school. I got my S on Tuesday and they were the first passengers that same day. They loved the seats, the play any song feature on Slacker and the cool new tech. But that paled compared to the thrill of acceleration. "Go fast, Dad" was a constant refrain all week when they got in the car.

Yesterday, my wife went to pick up the girls at school for gymnastics and Ellie burst into tears upon seeing the minivan waiting for her. She desperately wanted to ride in "the red car." My wife said "next time we'll take the Audi" (which is red) but Ellie cried harder because she wanted to ride in Dad's car. Nice going, Tesla, you've made my little girls cry ... is there now an X in our future?

During the EV rally in Westport last week, i met the Consumer Reports reporter covering the MS at the Milford Supercharger. He asked me to contribute to his write-up. Regarding problems encountered, i wrote:

• Problems encountered so far One major problem – I can no longer tolerate driving my ICE cars. I bought car covers for them – and on the rare occasion I want to make a trip back to the ICE age – I find the batteries depleted (ironic, eh?) and the tires tend to go flat. I just returned a Hertz car and answered honestly his question about how the car was – it sucks. Disgusting going into a petrol station and punching in credit card and zip code and smelling that stuff versus plugging in at home – will never ever buy another ICE car. Second problem is my wife tells me to not talk about Tesla so much in all our social occasions.

Your girls have great taste!

Last edited:
My kids constantly want me to pick them up instead of Mom. This is doubly true when they are riding somewhere with a friend. My wife is too afraid to drive the MS for the time being, but I'm getting tired of being the chauffeur, so she's going to have to learn soon. They are beyond disappointed whenever they have to go in Mom's car (a 2013 Mercedes GL 450).

On Saturday night for the first time we had a full load of 7 people in the car, including my two young nieces with my three kids. We had their mother a bit concerned when we said that the girls were "in the trunk", but we sent her a picture and then she saw the seats when we dropped them off. The kids definitely enjoyed themselves!

My situation's similar to Arnold Panz's above. Wife's wary of driving the big S and is more comfy with her Mini Clubman.

Had to carpool yesterday as we had an errand to run together (and my wife had to drive to her workplace from my office) so, we took the Mini while the S was quietly sitting in the garage letting the vampire do its thing; our 6-year-old son went "aaaaaah!" (the sing-song way) as he not only had to fit his now-54"-tall body into the tight fit in the Mini but, also had to give up on Slacker and the full-time rear view camera.

After driving the Mini to work, my head was pounding from all the noise, the harshness of the ride and the claustrophobic confines! To think that I considered that car a "cool ride" just a few months ago!

My wife actually mentioned the other day that she'd be interested in switching to a smaller EV herself (hallelujah!) after driving the S on a couple of short drives. Gen 3 can't come around soon enough :)

I still love our MINI Clubman S, even though the ride is very harsh (coilovers). It fits like a glove and is amazing in the corners. We may have to trade it in when the next generation Tesla roadster is released.

Our other two ICE trucks on the other hand, good lord. What a nightmare. They're reserved for more questionable parts of town and sketchy parking lots.

While my wife was out of town last week I picked up my 6 year old twin girls after extended day at school. I got my S on Tuesday and they were the first passengers that same day. They loved the seats, the play any song feature on Slacker and the cool new tech. But that paled compared to the thrill of acceleration. "Go fast, Dad" was a constant refrain all week when they got in the car.

Yesterday, my wife went to pick up the girls at school for gymnastics and Ellie burst into tears upon seeing the minivan waiting for her. She desperately wanted to ride in "the red car." My wife said "next time we'll take the Audi" (which is red) but Ellie cried harder because she wanted to ride in Dad's car. Nice going, Tesla, you've made my little girls cry ... is there now an X in our future?

This is a great story. Picked up my MS today, and my 2 year old absolutely refuses to go in the minivan. Oh yeah, and she wants to ride in back with her brothers, but that's not going to happen until she adds a few inches.

Now just hoping my wife doesn't force me to swap out with her "to keep the kids happy".

This is a great story. Picked up my MS today, and my 2 year old absolutely refuses to go in the minivan. Oh yeah, and she wants to ride in back with her brothers, but that's not going to happen until she adds a few inches.

Now just hoping my wife doesn't force me to swap out with her "to keep the kids happy".

Like Mike said earlier, kids are smart! Me, not so much ... guess who's taking them to swim practice on Saturday rather than going for a bike ride? That's right ...