Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right Foot on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

What do you do with your right foot when autopilot engaged? I've only had my Model 3 LR AWD for a little over a month, but I find that when I engage the autopilot, I keep my foot tensed and hovering over the pedals, which creates more strain than actually driving the car. Just curious what others do with that foot!

Oops. Sorry, I put this in the X forum. My bad.

This is an interesting question. I now have the pleasure of driving a Model 3 in addition to my X. The X give you lots of options - plenty of room - but the Model 3 has a funny floor profile (like a hump) which leaves no room for your foot off the pedal. So when I drive the 3 on a road trip - I ended up with my foot resting lightly on the accelerator rather than hovering. It doesn’t unecessarily trigger acceleration and it is mostly a natural driving position so is likely the safest way to go. I have considered doing this on my X as well - but old habits die hard.

This is an interesting question. I now have the pleasure of driving a Model 3 in addition to my X. The X give you lots of options - plenty of room - but the Model 3 has a funny floor profile (like a hump) which leaves no room for your foot off the pedal. So when I drive the 3 on a road trip - I ended up with my foot resting lightly on the accelerator rather than hovering. It doesn’t unecessarily trigger acceleration and it is mostly a natural driving position so is likely the safest way to go. I have considered doing this on my X as well - but old habits die hard.

That disables TACC braking in my experience.

Just put my foot flat on the floor.

I have gotten to understand when the autopilot is going to have issues, and get ready to take over. In areas where I know it will be challenged, I proactively switch to manual control. Really reduces autopilot anxiety.

I have found, over the last year or so, that the autopilot has become much more capable and reliable. Has become a valuable co-pilot for stop and go traffic or long boring distances on the highway.

Reactions: Nilnoc