TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Right front and rear windows do not lower

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Apr 12, 2014.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#1 artsci, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    With warm weather finally here I tried roiling down my right front and rear windows. They don't not respond to the driver-side control or the door controls on the right front and rear doors. As I don't use these windows often I can wait until the end of the month when my one year service is scheduled.

But I'm curious if anyone has suggestions about a possible fix.

I haven't checked the fuses but I will do that ASAP. But I can't imagine why they'd be blown.

2. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

Always good to try a reboot.

3. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

The 2 side windows could have been roasted by the sun, then the seals stuck as the motor began, blowing the fuse(s). Silicone spray on these seals would help with the stickiness, as it does with icing issues. Just a WAG.
    --

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Tried that but on wycolo's advice will check the fuses.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll check the fuses.

5. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

Have you tried opening all the windows with the fob?

I think that is pushing and holding the top (roof) button for a few seconds (or a triple push).

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Haven't tried that. I'm out of town for a day so I'll have to get at this solutions when I get home tomorrow evening.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if over the winter the windows were frozen and when they tried to do the little 1/4" drop when the door is opened they couldn't and blew fuses?

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Very possible. I don't think I've opened these windows since I've had the car.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Never heard of that happening in FL, so pretty unlikely that's the cause of an issue in MD.

10. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Have you ever had a passenger in the car? If so, the window motor must have worked at some point; otherwise it would have been difficult to open the door.

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Yes, and I do open both doors on that side. But your question reminded me that the front passenger door handle was extended yesterday and I could not open the door. Suggests to me a blown fuse. Will check it all out when I'm back home tonight.

12. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Have you checked your "window lock" button? I don't know if that affects the driver's controls as well.

13. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Solved the problem this am. I checked all of the related fuses: 28 (right rear window lift motor), 30 (right front window lift motor), and 32 (right side door controls). Fuses 28 and 30 were fine, but fuse 32 was missing. Weird. It can't jump out of the slot by itself :) so I must have removed it unintentionally in one of my recent forays into Fuse Box #2. Go figure.

14. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I do recall a few early posts suggesting that on occasion, some fuses were loose in the box. But if you were playing in the fuse box with various forays, I concur with you. :) Glad you see you got it fixed.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I checked my fuse box about a year ago when I heard of this "loose fuse" thing and sure enough, most of them were not seated fully. If it did pop out, I would think it should have been inside the box somewhere.

16. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Maybe you should claim your car is a Lemon because the windows stopped working :)

17. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Regarding past occurrences where windows (and doors) *would* open for no good reason, I wonder if TM has added extra steps in the Firmware to eliminate such. Seems these events are no longer happening.
    --

18. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

The doors opening was resolved with the new door handles that do not fully extend until you pull them. I don't know of anyone who has had doors spontaneously opening with the new handles.

5.9 removes the feature to roll down windows if you hold the key fob button.