Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right front door popped open while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same experience here. My front passenger door was defective so the service center decided to replace all of the door handles with the new style.

Perhaps this means that the factory has used up their stock of Gen 1 handles.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it rare, though? I haven't yet talked to anyone with the Gen 1 handles that hasn't had some sort of problem or anomaly.

Good point. The other problem, which I also experienced with the same door handle, is the door refusing to open when you tug on the handle.

Have you driven for at least 3 consecutive days in 100+F weather? I think there's a correlation between the failures of early handles and temperature. I'm doing some loose research. Thanks!

FWIW, I picked my car up in early March and it was still quite cool here in S. Ontario. I had the door handle problems (doors popping open upon handles extending) before the temps even got above 60. Interestingly, I didn't have as many random openings during the heat of the summer, but have started to see it a bit more frequently now with the temps down a bit. I hadn't thought of this correlation before.

Now my back left popped open going 25. I wish they could just kill off first gen handles.

This still freaks me out a bit. Mine have only popped when the handles extend (i.e. putting into Park or when they present when the car is unlocked). I think it is because the micro-switch that activates the door solenoid is a bit too sensitive. In this case, the car is always stopped, but the doors do fully unlatch. I would be worried that if it happened when underway the door could whip wide open if you were cornering or a gust of wind caught it.

So...I have gen2 handles on my car. I have had my car since April. The weather has gotten colder (for California that is). This past week, I've had my passenger door pop open 4 times at random. This has never happened while driving, and in all cases the passenger door popped open when I closed the driver side door (twice while I was getting into the car, and twice while I was exiting the car). I have not been able to recreate it, nor has the Service Center. Trying to pay attention to the environment when this happens. So far, I have the heater on, with air recirculating within cabin. Perhaps it has something to do with the pressure buildup inside the cabin? Anyone else seen this?

No problems at all on our Sig since we had the 2nd gen handles installed (and the various firmware updates). Early on with the original handles, we had a couple instances of doors popping open (while stationary when handles were extended) and drivers side rear not opening from the outside.

Out of curiosity: for those of you who had it popped open, do you have the child lock on or off?

That's a good question, but I suspect it would make no difference. (I did not have it on when I had the door popping problem). The door handles have a small micro-switch that activates a solenoid on the latch when pulled. The first gen handles required very little travel to activate the switch/open the door while the gen 2 handles actually have a quarter inch or so of travel before the switch is operated. My theory is that when the first gen handles extended, they accidentally tripped the switch causing the door to pop open. Since Child Locks only prevent the door from opening via the interior handle, I am guessing it would make no difference here.

Out of curiosity: for those of you who had it popped open, do you have the child lock on or off?

single and rarely any passengers. so the child-lock thing, whatever the default was, was what I had. The passenger door was clearly closed at all times, the car would ding if I drove away with the door ajar (which is how I became aware of the door being open). Sometimes it would pop open...about 3-4 inches, and sometimes it would pop open maybe an inch.

I have 5.8, gen2 handles. This only became an issue the past week, when the weather got a bit chilly (coincidence?)

Hate to bump an old thread but had a right front door open today while driving. I had just left a store, all doors closed and autolocked when I started driving. About a mile later after stopping at the second intersection, I felt a bump but thought the dog in the back had just moved something. As I started through the intersection, a warning chime sounded and a notice that a door was open, proceed with caution came up on the dash. Looking in the rearview mirrors I could see the front passenger door was open, all other doors were closed and the door handles had not "presented". The door was fully open and I slowed down, reached across the car and re-closed the door. I have no idea what caused this. When I parked the car at the store, I locked it with the key fob and watched the handles retract. When I returned, the handles presented and I got in the car and drove off. Car is a spring 2014 build and should have the newer style handles. Any ideas?

Quick update. This evening I put the car in the garage, got out and everything powered down normally. I noticed I had parked a little closer to the front of the garage then I wanted so got back in and moved the car back a bit. Got out, walked away but the car didn't shut down. Locked the car with the remote, door handles retracted but car stayed running (headlights, dash, A/C, radio all on). I got into the car and out again, same problem. I called roadside assistance and together couldn't get it to turn off until we did a touchscreen reboot which took a long time to complete and get the Tesla "T" back. The car was acting like I was still in the drivers seat when I was not. The tech thought that maybe whatever caused the door to open while driving might have also contributed to this problem. After the reboot, the car turned off normally when I left the drivers seat. They are contacting the service center in my area to let them know about the problem and I can contact them if it happens again.