TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Right front passenger door wouldn't open -- fixed itself

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by rpavlicek, Jun 3, 2013.

1. rpavlicek

rpavlicek ***** Neophyte

Saturday morning I noticed that the right front passenger door wouldn't open (all handles were extended). I could open it from the inside (since that is mechanical).

We drove around 20 miles to our destination, and then I noticed the door started working again normally.

It must be a software glitch...anyone else encounter this?

2. DEinspanjer

DEinspanjer Member

Yesterday, the driver door on my car wouldn't open at first. Tugging the handle had no effect. After a couple of tries, I tried the rear driver side door and it opened fine, then went back to the driver door and it opened.

I *think* I might have done something unusual when I walked up to it, but I wasn't paying a lot of attention at the moment it happened so I can't say for sure. Maybe I touched it but took my hand off before pulling or something.

3. Vexar

Vexar Member

I have occasionally had weirdness like what you described, DEinspanjer. I think it's suction, like water frozen/adhering on the rubber window gasket or something. Generally, try another door, then come back to the driver's door.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I think sometimes the software gets busy for a bit, so the car won't react to the door handle. Moments later, it will.

Several times I've gone to tug on the handle only to find that nothing happens. I wait another 10 or 20 seconds, try again, and the door will open.

Must be a software issue.

5. rpavlicek

rpavlicek ***** Neophyte

I thought the same thing...but it was specifically just this one door. All other doors opened (from the outside). No amount of waiting, closing/opening (extending handles or opening/closing the door from the inside) would allow me to open the "bad" door from the outside. Only after driving for 30 minutes...did it go back to normal.

NOTE: I did NOT reboot anything in the car -- I'm not sure it would have mattered.

6. Owner

Owner Active Member

For me it has been a hardware issue. I'm on the 4th door handle on one of my doors. Full gory detailed blog post can be found here.