TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Right front sonar sensor(s) less sensitive on the highway?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by gordo, Mar 9, 2016.

1. gordo

gordo Member

I've noticed pretty consistently over the past while under many driving conditions that my right front sonar sensor(s) have a tendency to miss nearby obstructions (cars, trucks, medians) much more often than the other three when I'm on the highway. It *will* come on, but it seems that there has to be an obstruction very close by and sustained, whereas the other three seem much more sensitive. For what it's worth, I don't notice anything unusual from the sensors when parking in my garage.

My question is, does anyone else notice this quirkiness (i.e. maybe it's just a universal software thing) or am I the only one? (i.e. perhaps one or more of my right front sonar sensors are defective...)

Here's a pretty common sight to help illustrate (I know it's not conclusive since you can't see the actual road, but this condition is quite common when I pass a car on the right side --right rear sonar triggers, but right front doesn't):
    File_000.jpeg

2. mach.89

mach.89 Member

Quirkiness is probably the best way I could describe my sensor depiction as well. Or, perhaps I don't understand the way they're supposed to function. But I've noticed that sometimes my sensors won't display any proximate objects, even when I have a car passing me in another lane, or driving very close to a center dividing wall on a freeway. It's almost like it works as I would expect it about 75% of the time. My car is kept very clean, so it can't be dirty sensors.

3. anxman

anxman Member

I also noticed this. I don't believe the front sensors are less sensitive than the rear ones but I have a few possible explanations for the phenomenon:

- UI related issue: Tesla chose to make the front sensors fire less frequently because it confused drivers in their testing (don't know why)
    - Doppler Effect: Perhaps this kicks in at high speeds? Maybe causing the rear sensors to fire from the sound waves emitted by the front sensors?