Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right Headlight Malfunction Detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car has a mind of its own. Yesterday I got a Left Headlight Malfunction Detected warning on drivers screen and the left light on the car animation was out. Light wasn't working. Next time I got in the car, light is working and no warning.

Today I get the Right Headlight Malfunction Detected warning. Cycled power on lights and it went away.

What is going on, had a firmware update last month for EMC issue. Early 2016 Model S

Attachments

• Tesla.jpg
    Tesla.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 1,097
My 2014 (w/ MCU2) has been having the same (right also) intermittent issue this last week. I’d just assumed it was out until the next drive it was fine. After reading your post Baja30 I realized turning them off and back on fixes it for awhile. Weird. Of course I'm always in traffic when it happens and have to flash my lights, ha ha. Hesitant to replace it myself as it doesn’t seem broken and possibly software related.

I don’t expect anyone here to fix it, just wanted to say I hear ya and feel your pain.

You rock @OlderThanDirt ! I'd searched for the specific display warning but didn't search the symptom. Time to buy a matching set of new bulbs. Looks convoluted to get to but not particularly difficult.

Sounds like you need some new bulbs.

Back in 2013, there were two types of headlights - Halogen and HID/Xenon. The HID headlights (far more common) have a ballast that may be failing. Halogen is just a simple bulb (and is quite a bit dimmer than the HID design) and Halogen was discontinued in late 2013 or 2014. Here's an example of Xenon on eBay of one: 2012-2015 Tesla Model S Headlight Xenon HID Ballast Xenon Bulb Set OEM 12 13 14 | eBay (not my listing - just an example).

Reactions: Scott13TMSP85
Thanks. I should have clarified. I have a 2015 model s. Weird. Both malfunction errors popped up for a day/ride and then went away on reboot (or the next time I drove). Seems to have gone away for the time being, but perhaps it is a ballast issue. I am in the northeast where there is quite a bit of snow/salt… so maybe that needs to be explored next should the issue continue!

Thanks. I should have clarified. I have a 2015 model s. Weird. Both malfunction errors popped up for a day/ride and then went away on reboot (or the next time I drove). Seems to have gone away for the time being, but perhaps it is a ballast issue. I am in the northeast where there is quite a bit of snow/salt… so maybe that needs to be explored next should the issue continue!
My right side headlight failed on my 2015 Model S a few months ago. The mobile service ranger came to replace the bulb but discovered that the ballast was very corroded, most likely from road salt (I live in Ottawa Canada). He ended up replacing the entire headlamp assembly. The good news is that it was covered by my extended service agreement (less the deductable). Otherwise it would have something like $1500.

Back in 2013, there were two types of headlights - Halogen and HID/Xenon. The HID headlights (far more common) have a ballast that may be failing. Halogen is just a simple bulb (and is quite a bit dimmer than the HID design) and Halogen was discontinued in late 2013 or 2014. Here's an example of Xenon on eBay of one: 2012-2015 Tesla Model S Headlight Xenon HID Ballast Xenon Bulb Set OEM 12 13 14 | eBay (not my listing - just an example).
How can you tell which type of headlight you have - Halogen and HID/Xenon - on a late 2013 MS?

HID headlights have a metal module attached (the ballast).

Here's a set of eBay pictures for a Halogen headlight: 2012-2015 Tesla Model S Left Driver LH Halogen Headlight oem | eBay

Here are images for an HID headlight: Complete! 2012-2015 Tesla Model S Left Driver Side HID Xenon Headlight Lamp OEM | eBay Note the metal box on the bottom.

Otherwise, the plastics and the front lens look the same to me. Also when turned on, the Halogen is going to be a warmer white than the HID, but that may be harder to access.

My right side headlight failed on my 2015 Model S a few months ago. The mobile service ranger came to replace the bulb but discovered that the ballast was very corroded, most likely from road salt (I live in Ottawa Canada). He ended up replacing the entire headlamp assembly. The good news is that it was covered by my extended service agreement (less the deductable). Otherwise it would have something like $1500.
I replaced so much stuff on my model S that some of the stuff is not worth going to the dealer for I replaced my bulb on my headlight model S the bulb was only like 60 bucks on eBay and it took me about two hours to change it

I have the same problem.
I doubt it's the bulbs as was mentioned above.
I suspect the ballast.
I do all my own repairs and I'm lazy,
I'll check the ballast connections when warning gets more frequent/annoying.
My Tesla is a great car from a not so great organization....IMHO.

MDR

Reactions: zmarko
I am getting the right side headlight malfunctioning message on my 2015 Model S. When the car is parked and headlights are turned on, both headlights work fine, but while driving the right headlight does not work. The extended warranty has about 2 months left on it. Mobile tech is coming on Friday. Hopefully whatever is wrong it is covered (e,g, ballast?)

I am getting the right side headlight malfunctioning message on my 2015 Model S. When the car is parked and headlights are turned on, both headlights work fine, but while driving the right headlight does not work. The extended warranty has about 2 months left on it. Mobile tech is coming on Friday. Hopefully whatever is wrong it is covered (e,g, ballast?)
Problem solved?