Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right Pillar Camera Blocked or Blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I travel out in the boonies where it's dark as crap, I get the above message. It's always the Right Pillar Camera, never the Left. There's no condensation or anything else blocking the lens. When I pull up the image from the Right camera, it looks just fine and is showing essentially the same image as what's being seen from the left camera but I continue to get the message off and on. Normal?

Last edited:
Reactions: NanaimoMY
I’ve noticed this everyone once in awhile as well, but haven’t really nailed down a reason for it.

My best guess is the camera on the passenger side has the hardest time seeing the lines on the road, whereas the drivers side often has several to refer to. When it loses sight of the line(s) for some reason, it assumes something is blocking the lens.

Reactions: KerryOH
I got this notice typically on the cold days in TX here, like today, where the pillar got some kind of "steam" stuck in side and driving around a bit with some sunlight helps dissolve them and the warning went away.

I get the same message sporadically when driving at night also always on the right pillar camera. I have visually inspected the camera and it's clear and cleaned the glass anyway. Does not help.

Also, I have observed condensate under the glass of both of my pillar cameras but NOT at the time when I am getting the right pillar camera message. Is visible condensate under the glass a definite problem or is that normal?

Last edited:
I get the same message sporadically when driving at night also always on the right pillar camera. I have visually inspected the camera and it's clear and cleaned the glass anyway. Does not help.

Also, I have observed condensate under the glass of both of my pillar cameras but NOT at the time when I am getting the right pillar camera message. Is visible condensate under the glass a definite problem or is that normal?

I tend to think that condensation is not the issue as it would be reasonable to assume that the other cameras would be subject to the same thing under similar conditions. I have never once seen this message being reported from any other camera but the Right Pillar.

I got my left pillar camera error message twice (first time months ago, 2nd time a few days back). Both times with good conditions with no condensation. It was only on for a few seconds and not persistent.

I pulled-up the side and rear camera views and it seemed fine, albeit after the error had cleared. I need to capture what the the camera is seeing when it reports the error. If it's block then that points to an intermittent connection or camera problem.

I tend to think that condensation is not the issue as it would be reasonable to assume that the other cameras would be subject to the same thing under similar conditions. I have never once seen this message being reported from any other camera but the Right Pillar.

I got my left pillar camera error message twice (first time months ago, 2nd time a few days back). Both times with good conditions with no condensation. It was only on for a few seconds and not persistent.

I pulled-up the side and rear camera views and it seemed fine, albeit after the error had cleared. I need to capture what the the camera is seeing when it reports the error. If it's block then that points to an intermittent connection or camera problem.
I have viewed the camera images during the time the message is displayed on the screen and the right and left cameras look identical to me.

I have viewed the camera images during the time the message is displayed on the screen and the right and left cameras look identical to me.
The Pillar cameras don't produce images on the Dash Camera. The light and right images you see in the Dash Cam are from the camera on the front fenders that look backwards. I am not aware of the ability to see the images from the pillar cameras.

I have been getting the Pillar Camera error for sometime. It's been really persistent over the previous weekend. I received the 48.5 update yersterday. I no error messages today for the first time in almost a week. Could be a coincident???

I have gotten the right side message when the bright sun was causing blocking and during the day when the sun was not blasting it. Also have gotten the night time block message. I have not had the condensation issue or dirt covering the cameras.

I got this notice typically on the cold days in TX here, like today, where the pillar got some kind of "steam" stuck in side and driving around a bit with some sunlight helps dissolve them and the warning went away.
I've seen this several times in the past 2 weeks here in Iowa. There is condensation inside the glass over the camera. And, to date, it has only occurred on the right side B pillar. I think that auto drive will not engage when this happens as it is a blind spot. I also found a Service Bulletin from Tesla on the Model S, X and 3, issued in March of 2020. It's a problem and it won't do for any kind of full auto drive performance, since, even if there is some visibility, I'm pretty sure the software issuing the "there's a blind spot" notice on the display will not allow auto drive when it even "thinks" there is a blind spot. Here's the Service Bulletin, see what you all think:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173429-9999.pdf