TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Right Rear Bumper/quarter panel coming loose?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Argelius, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

The seam between where the rear plastic bumper wraps around the rear of the car has started widening. Seems like the (what I assume are some sort of) "clips" are giving way.

I've certainly not run into (or been hit by) that would cause the bumper to separate from the body.

Just curious if anyone has experienced this issue.

0 (1).jpeg 0.jpeg

2. AzEd

AzEd Member

My car had a problem with this seam, but in a different way. The lower bumper panel stuck out from the upper body panel, there was not a smooth transition between the two panels. A trip to the Scottsdale Service Center made it better, but it still is not as smooth as on the left side. Nothing seemed to be coming apart, just mis-aligned.

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It doesn't take much to bust clips on a bumper since they're made to give way in hopes of avoiding damage to the surrounding sheetmetal. My wife lightly bumped a friend's car once: no visible paint damage, busted bumper clips. I wouldn't be surprised if you got tapped while parked or something at some point. Or maybe they just weren't installed very well. Either way, should be any easy fix. Have Tesla take a look.

4. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

That happened to the rear bumper on my Prius. I just pushed it in and it clipped itself back in place. I suspect someone bumped into the bumper somehow and it popped loose.