TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Right Scroll Wheel - other functions?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JoshG, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JoshG

JoshG Member

v4.0 gave us the ability to set the right scroll wheel to a whole bunch of different options - sunroof position, temperature, fan speed, etc. I think they missed a biggie now after having taken a long road trip:

- Map/Nav zoom level. I find I constantly need to zoom out to check overall progress, zoom in to find details. And the map zoom buttons are WAY over on the right side of the display, a bit of a stretch. (Yes, I know you can use mult-touch pinch/stretch). But having a scroll wheel option for map zoom would be fantastic. Lexus has a similar shortcut button for map zoom in/out on the joystick pointing device mount, and it's invaluable.

Others?
    - audio favorites scroll. The left-side "next" and "previous" are a pain if you have tons of favorites (I have at least 50 between XM stations, TuneIn stations & programs, etc.).

any others?

2. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

I don't have the car yet so I don't know if the scroll wheel can do this, but one thing I would REALLY like quick access to is the ability to change the suspension height.

Often I will be turning from a left turn lane or something across traffic and realize that the angle is sharper than it looked from the other side of the road as I am approaching a lot entrance or driveway, etc. It would be nice in those situations to be able to quickly raise the car so as not to grind the underside of the nose on the upsloping ground.

Cheers.

3. drbradfo

drbradfo Member

It would be nice to be able to use the scroll wheel as just a toggle between to things... scroll up for item 1 and scroll down for item 2.

4. EV_de

EV_de Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47

I'm not sure , but once i drove a US car (Oldsmobile or so ) it has the cruise control on the left scroll wheel , that was a nice feature ....

5. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

I find the wheel a little confusing. It takes a few clicks if it's on the ALL setting. You have to click then select mode then scroll. I like the suspension idea, but they might not do it because of people accidentally changing it.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I personally doubt you'll need it. I've used it once in the last 6 weeks and that was when I took an unpaved road.

7. Vger

Vger Active Member

I second this one. I don't have our car yet (next week!?), but I agree that this would be a very handy shortcut. I also zoom in and out a lot when navigating, especially on a long trip.

8. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

There are speed humps on my street. In my usual driving patterns there are 2 ramps I drive up at least 3 times weekly where any sedan will hit the underside of the nose unless driving extremely slowly, which is often not possible given that you have to zoom across 2 lanes of traffic without a light or stop sign for the oncoming cars then try to slam the brakes as you are approaching the ramps to avoid the front hitting.

I'm thinking I might have use for it more frequently than it sounds like you would, unless you think that the Model S rides really high. I thought it lowered as far as possible automatically to keep itself aerodynamic, but correct me if I am wrong.

SUVs on these ramps/driveways don't hit, but 3 sedans I have been in often do. The speed humps I can slow down for and think I will be ok, but it would be nice to be sure I am going to be ok. I just worry about beating up my new car...

Cheers.

9. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Wow I use it four times a day on very high with my home and work driveways. Am I overly cautious on SF driveways?

10. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

Must be a West Coast / East Coast thing ;)

Cheers.

11. NotTarts

NotTarts Member

Regen strength? I know a lot of people would like the ability to change that on the fly.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That would be awesome!

13. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

No way. Leave regen on max as God intended. :)

14. JoshG

JoshG Member

Uh oh, here comes this debate again! :) Roadster owners have had this argument for years...

15. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

+1

GREAT IDEA! I am really bad and scraping the front bumper on parking stops so I think I'd get into the habit of raising the car any time I pulled into a parking space just to be safe.

16. JoshG

JoshG Member

I agree with Ceilidh. Suspension height is 2nd priority for me... first being Nav map zoom

17. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Having just spent the day tooling around scenic Cape Ann (first full day with my Model S), I completely agree about the Nav map zoom being first priority. Suspension height could also be useful.

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

SuperCoug, that may not be good enough; see this thread:

Possible air suspension height settings issue

19. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

Yeah, good point. I remember reading that thread a while back and thinking to myself "Gee, I sure hope have that fixed before I get my car this March or I'm screwed!"

20. goyogi

goyogi Member

If they add suspension adjustment done via voice control then the scroll wheel can be freed for other duties.