Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right Scroll Wheel - other functions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
v4.0 gave us the ability to set the right scroll wheel to a whole bunch of different options - sunroof position, temperature, fan speed, etc. I think they missed a biggie now after having taken a long road trip:

- Map/Nav zoom level. I find I constantly need to zoom out to check overall progress, zoom in to find details. And the map zoom buttons are WAY over on the right side of the display, a bit of a stretch. (Yes, I know you can use mult-touch pinch/stretch). But having a scroll wheel option for map zoom would be fantastic. Lexus has a similar shortcut button for map zoom in/out on the joystick pointing device mount, and it's invaluable.

Others?
- audio favorites scroll. The left-side "next" and "previous" are a pain if you have tons of favorites (I have at least 50 between XM stations, TuneIn stations & programs, etc.).

any others?

I don't have the car yet so I don't know if the scroll wheel can do this, but one thing I would REALLY like quick access to is the ability to change the suspension height.

Often I will be turning from a left turn lane or something across traffic and realize that the angle is sharper than it looked from the other side of the road as I am approaching a lot entrance or driveway, etc. It would be nice in those situations to be able to quickly raise the car so as not to grind the underside of the nose on the upsloping ground.

Cheers.

v4.0 gave us the ability to set the right scroll wheel to a whole bunch of different options - sunroof position, temperature, fan speed, etc. I think they missed a biggie now after having taken a long road trip:

- Map/Nav zoom level. I find I constantly need to zoom out to check overall progress, zoom in to find details. And the map zoom buttons are WAY over on the right side of the display, a bit of a stretch. (Yes, I know you can use mult-touch pinch/stretch). But having a scroll wheel option for map zoom would be fantastic. Lexus has a similar shortcut button for map zoom in/out on the joystick pointing device mount, and it's invaluable.

I second this one. I don't have our car yet (next week!?), but I agree that this would be a very handy shortcut. I also zoom in and out a lot when navigating, especially on a long trip.

I personally doubt you'll need it. I've used it once in the last 6 weeks and that was when I took an unpaved road.

There are speed humps on my street. In my usual driving patterns there are 2 ramps I drive up at least 3 times weekly where any sedan will hit the underside of the nose unless driving extremely slowly, which is often not possible given that you have to zoom across 2 lanes of traffic without a light or stop sign for the oncoming cars then try to slam the brakes as you are approaching the ramps to avoid the front hitting.

I'm thinking I might have use for it more frequently than it sounds like you would, unless you think that the Model S rides really high. I thought it lowered as far as possible automatically to keep itself aerodynamic, but correct me if I am wrong.

SUVs on these ramps/driveways don't hit, but 3 sedans I have been in often do. The speed humps I can slow down for and think I will be ok, but it would be nice to be sure I am going to be ok. I just worry about beating up my new car...

Cheers.