Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right To Charge Law CA - HOA Complex

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a Condo Complex in Los Angeles but rent a condo from a homeowner so I am NOT an owner - there are numerous 'Right To Charge' Laws here in CA but my HOA has repeatedly denied any request to charge my vehicle in the garage.
I initially sent them incentives to install communal chargers and take advantage of rebates and they were not interested and then I priced out how much it would be for me to install one myself and it was crazy expensive like $8k and then LADWP may never approve a separate meter just for me anyways.
Lastly I landed on me plugging into a 110v AC outlet that's 10 feet from my designated parking space - I tried it out and it works - it's slow but def works and I have Tessie app to track how much energy I'm drawing as well. I don't think it would cost more than $50 / month with our electricity rates.
I said I could reimburse the cost of electricity to the HOA for my usage and then the HOA has given me the run around saying I need the homeowner to request this with a full proposal and I'm now peak annoyed as I've tried to make this easier and as low-touch as possible.
I'm looking for an EV Advocate or Lawyer to maybe help advise me here as I would like to send them a letter stating they cannot block me from charging but I've also read that because I'm a renter of a condo that I have 'no rights' to the HOA which also feels like a crazy loop-hole for them to deny most of the people who live at the complex any request they have.

Yeah, the right to charge law would only come into play if the owner came forward with a reasonable proposal to install charging and the HOA said no. They are under zero obligation to let you use common area plugs for charging, regardless of offers to pay for the power.

Your only choices are to either get the owner to agree to put in charging (not likely) and pick up the torch, or move.

Reactions: J4RBOT and ucmndd
I have quite a bit of experience helping homeowners through this process. I know it may seem like semantics, but from reading your description, in my experience it doesn't appear that you and the homeowner have followed the normal process that most HOAs use for project approval. That process involves the homeowner submitting what is called an architectural application. The blank form is usually on the HOA website or the homeowner can request it through the HOA management company. My experience is that pretty much all requests have to go through this process to get an official approval.

In order to have the owner submit this application (assuming you work with them to fill it out), you will need to outline the whole job so the HOA board members can understand what you're trying to ask for. Photos, drawings, descriptions, the whole works. And, it goes without saying, you must be ready to move forward with your proposal if approved (so you need to put forth the exact charging solution that you want to pursue).

That means working with an electrician in advance and getting it scoped out, working with the utility if you need a new electric service for the charger (more on that later), getting pricing to make sure that you want to move forward if approved, etc. You'll need to document the work that you want the electrician to do in the application and be confident that you'll move forward if approved. Just as an aside, you'll need to get a permit for this work with the City or whoever the Authority Having Jurisdiction is for your area. No HOA that I've dealt with will let an electrician come in and do work without a permit. I've seen applications stall because the homeowner or tenant isn't sure which direction they really want to go in and the application is vague as to what the work will be or the ultimate charging solution will be. Usually the blank application form will have some notes about the materials the board will need for approval. I wouldn't count on being able to use the "house" power and proposing some sort of reimbursement schedule. I've never seen an HOA approve that, they want the EV driver to have the charger connected to their existing meter or install a second meter for the EV charging so that the HOA is not on the hook for any energy usage.

Steps I would recommend:

* Make sure the homeowner is on board and willing to file the application on your behalf
* Make sure that you're willing to move forward with the solution as proposed (it may be expensive)
* Get a contractor or two to come out and look over your situation to give you a quotation.
* Assuming you want a Level 2 charging solution, they'll either propose connecting to your meter in the nearby electric room/closet (if it's close enough) or install a new meter (electric service) in the electric room (assuming that there is a spare meter socket that you can use)
* From that power source, they'll need to run conduit and wire out to your parking space where the charger will be installed. If that distance from the electric room to the car is a long distance, that could kill the deal due to cost. Is there a closer option, perhaps a second electric room in the parking area where you can connect to? In rare cases, I've seen a couple of EV drivers make deals with people that park near or next to the electric room to swap parking spaces to make the install closer and cheaper/easier. If the units are owned, though, the parking spaces may be deeded and swapping spaces can be more difficult (and will have to be recorded by the County). If it's a rental situation, sometimes it's easier to swap spaces.
* The electrician will scope out the existing situation and tell you what size circuit the existing infrastructure will support. If you can get a 40 amp circuit that will charge at 32 amps, great. But if you can only get a 20 amp circuit that can charge at 16 amps, that may have to do (because upgrades to the infrastructure can be very expensive).
* The utility only needs to get involved if you need a new electric service (new meter). The utility will probably want to know what the existing building load is before they agree to add a new service for EV charging. Your electrician should be able to clamp on to the building electric service for a week or two and measure the peak load to see if the building is highly loaded relative to the existing electric service. Hopefully there will be enough spare capacity for a new charging circuit.
* If you can get to the cable that feeds your living unit and it is decently close, that is usually the cheapest way to install a charging solution
* Look at the DCC9 energy management product if it might help (it may allow you to install a new circuit on your existing electric service even if it is "Full")

* Once all that is done and you have a potential solution in mind, then you can fill out the architectural application with the appropriate sketches, photos, etc. to show the HOA board what you're asking for. In my experience, the more thorough your application, the more likely they will approve it.
* You'll need to use safety-certified equipment that has been tested and certified by a Nationally Recognized Testing Lab (NRTL). UL is one of these labs.
* The HOA board may have questions or they may approve it with conditions, but I've had pretty good luck getting approvals by putting together a good technical solution with a lot of detail that they can understand.

I hope this is helpful...Is the property owner on board with filing an application on your behalf?

I have quite a bit of experience helping homeowners through this process. I know it may seem like semantics, but from reading your description, in my experience it doesn't appear that you and the homeowner have followed the normal process that most HOAs use for project approval. That process involves the homeowner submitting what is called an architectural application. The blank form is usually on the HOA website or the homeowner can request it through the HOA management company. My experience is that pretty much all requests have to go through this process to get an official approval.

In order to have the owner submit this application (assuming you work with them to fill it out), you will need to outline the whole job so the HOA board members can understand what you're trying to ask for. Photos, drawings, descriptions, the whole works. And, it goes without saying, you must be ready to move forward with your proposal if approved (so you need to put forth the exact charging solution that you want to pursue).

That means working with an electrician in advance and getting it scoped out, working with the utility if you need a new electric service for the charger (more on that later), getting pricing to make sure that you want to move forward if approved, etc. You'll need to document the work that you want the electrician to do in the application and be confident that you'll move forward if approved. Just as an aside, you'll need to get a permit for this work with the City or whoever the Authority Having Jurisdiction is for your area. No HOA that I've dealt with will let an electrician come in and do work without a permit. I've seen applications stall because the homeowner or tenant isn't sure which direction they really want to go in and the application is vague as to what the work will be or the ultimate charging solution will be. Usually the blank application form will have some notes about the materials the board will need for approval. I wouldn't count on being able to use the "house" power and proposing some sort of reimbursement schedule. I've never seen an HOA approve that, they want the EV driver to have the charger connected to their existing meter or install a second meter for the EV charging so that the HOA is not on the hook for any energy usage.

Steps I would recommend:

* Make sure the homeowner is on board and willing to file the application on your behalf
* Make sure that you're willing to move forward with the solution as proposed (it may be expensive)
* Get a contractor or two to come out and look over your situation to give you a quotation.
* Assuming you want a Level 2 charging solution, they'll either propose connecting to your meter in the nearby electric room/closet (if it's close enough) or install a new meter (electric service) in the electric room (assuming that there is a spare meter socket that you can use)
* From that power source, they'll need to run conduit and wire out to your parking space where the charger will be installed. If that distance from the electric room to the car is a long distance, that could kill the deal due to cost. Is there a closer option, perhaps a second electric room in the parking area where you can connect to? In rare cases, I've seen a couple of EV drivers make deals with people that park near or next to the electric room to swap parking spaces to make the install closer and cheaper/easier. If the units are owned, though, the parking spaces may be deeded and swapping spaces can be more difficult (and will have to be recorded by the County). If it's a rental situation, sometimes it's easier to swap spaces.
* The electrician will scope out the existing situation and tell you what size circuit the existing infrastructure will support. If you can get a 40 amp circuit that will charge at 32 amps, great. But if you can only get a 20 amp circuit that can charge at 16 amps, that may have to do (because upgrades to the infrastructure can be very expensive).
* The utility only needs to get involved if you need a new electric service (new meter). The utility will probably want to know what the existing building load is before they agree to add a new service for EV charging. Your electrician should be able to clamp on to the building electric service for a week or two and measure the peak load to see if the building is highly loaded relative to the existing electric service. Hopefully there will be enough spare capacity for a new charging circuit.
* If you can get to the cable that feeds your living unit and it is decently close, that is usually the cheapest way to install a charging solution
* Look at the DCC9 energy management product if it might help (it may allow you to install a new circuit on your existing electric service even if it is "Full")

* Once all that is done and you have a potential solution in mind, then you can fill out the architectural application with the appropriate sketches, photos, etc. to show the HOA board what you're asking for. In my experience, the more thorough your application, the more likely they will approve it.
* You'll need to use safety-certified equipment that has been tested and certified by a Nationally Recognized Testing Lab (NRTL). UL is one of these labs.
* The HOA board may have questions or they may approve it with conditions, but I've had pretty good luck getting approvals by putting together a good technical solution with a lot of detail that they can understand.

I hope this is helpful...Is the property owner on board with filing an application on your behalf?

This is a great (and super helpful for others looking at this) post, @RandyS .

In this particular OPs case, I think they already got quotes and were not interested in moving forward with paying for it themselves. They said:

and then I priced out how much it would be for me to install one myself and it was crazy expensive like $8k and then LADWP may never approve a separate meter just for me anyways.

Reactions: J4RBOT
Sometimes there can be cheaper options. That's why I usually recommend getting an electrician to come out and take a look. They may have ideas that could turn out to be cheaper...It also might be worthwhile to have a conversation with the landlord. Since you may move some time after this work is done (and leave behind a pretty valuable asset), maybe they would agree to cover some of the cost and offer it as an amenity for the next person. You never know until you ask.

Sometimes there can be cheaper options. That's why I usually recommend getting an electrician to come out and take a look. They may have ideas that could turn out to be cheaper...It also might be worthwhile to have a conversation with the landlord. Since you may move some time after this work is done (and leave behind a pretty valuable asset), maybe they would agree to cover some of the cost and offer it as an amenity for the next person. You never know until you ask.
Yeah your breakdown is honestly super great and much appreciated. I haven't had someone come out in person but have spoken to 3 electricians that are Tesla Certified and gave them specs of where the electrical room is and where my parking spots are and they basically said it would be $8k to run all the conduit and that LADWP would likely never approve a new meter for 1 individual parking space for a condo complex where they would prefer a complex to likely install one that all tenants can use.
Also the frustrating thing is that I'd say a majority of the people who live in the complex are not the primary condo owners but renters / tenants. And a lot of the owners who do live here are older and have lived here for a while and don't really care about electric vehicles or the cost associated with installing something they have no foreseeable plans to use.
I first proposed to them local incentives to install a charging than ANY resident or future resident could use in the 'guest parking spots' - and as the spaces I believe are 'deeded' so me swapping spots would likely be very tough and already people don't want to go out of their way for something they don't seem to really care about.
A lot of people in LA live in apartments or condos and if getting EV chargers installed is going to be this hard I don't see how home charging will happen in these shared communities. It's been a factor in my desire to relocate but I do love our neighborhood so tough to move just because I can't charge at home - just very frustrating because I know how easy it could be if I even could tap into the power.... it also gives me deja vu because when I first moved in here my unit wasn't even wired for cable internet which blew my mind and was an ORDEAL to get setup as I had to have the ISP run all the cabling in metal conduit in the garage per the HOA and drill through the concrete floor to the garage underneath... but I eventually got the ISP to do the conduit install so I could get internet and they covered that cost.
Condo HOA's are just very annoying from my limited experience.

Yeah, the right to charge law would only come into play if the owner came forward with a reasonable proposal to install charging and the HOA said no. They are under zero obligation to let you use common area plugs for charging, regardless of offers to pay for the power.

Your only choices are to either get the owner to agree to put in charging (not likely) and pick up the torch, or move.
Yeah this is the summary of the feedback I have seen or read about dealing with HOA's in general. Just feels a bit backwards as majority of these condo owners rent out their units to tenants and unlike an apartment complex where if a tenant asked to charge their vehicle the apartment owner would have to allow it but an HOA adds about 10 more hoops to jump through.

Yeah this is the summary of the feedback I have seen or read about dealing with HOA's in general. Just feels a bit backwards as majority of these condo owners rent out their units to tenants and unlike an apartment complex where if a tenant asked to charge their vehicle the apartment owner would have to allow it but an HOA adds about 10 more hoops to jump through.
If you rented a house, could you just do a major electrical change that would increase power costs and probably require some modifications to the property without asking the owner? That's basically whats happening here. As a renter of any property, you'd need the owners OK. The HOA is requiring to hear from the owner as in the end, they are responsible for whatever you do to the property.

Reactions: X-pilot
Why would the apartment owner have to allow it?

Why would the apartment owner have to allow it?.
It is California Law.

Residential: (AB 2565, WHMC 17.58, Civil Code §§1947.6 (residential property))]

“For residential leases signed, renewed or extend on or after July 1, 2015, landlords are required to approve a tenant’s written request to install an electric vehicle charging station at the tenant’s parking space if the tenant enters into a written agreement which includes requirements regarding the installation, use, maintenance and removal of the charging station, requires the tenant pay for all modifications and the cost associated with the electric usage of the charging station. The landlord is not required to provide the tenant with an additional parking space in order to comply with this law.”

If you rented a house, could you just do a major electrical change that would increase power costs and probably require some modifications to the property without asking the owner? That's basically whats happening here. As a renter of any property, you'd need the owners OK. The HOA is requiring to hear from the owner as in the end, they are responsible for whatever you do to the property.
Yes if you were renting a house you could in California do all of that - you need to ask the owner and the owner legally has to say yes. If they don’t reply within 30 days you can legally proceed.
You may not be aware of the laws passed.

Also I’m not asking to rewire or install a level 2 charger but just use an outlet. If you were a tenant of a house you obviously would be allowed to do that.

Go ahead and contact a lawyer. I don't think you can force the hoa to do anything without the owners asking, but you maybe able to force them to ask the hoa.

But even then, the hoa may still be able to say no if it's in a common area. The hoa angle doesn't seem to be covered by the law.

I priced out how much it would be for me to install one myself and it was crazy expensive like $8k and then LADWP may never approve a separate meter just for me anyways.
That's pretty much what my situation was a condo owner -- my building's board couldn't refuse to consider an EVSE, but it would have taken a lot of work and about $5K-$6K to get the details needed to apply for their approval, and they intimated they were unlikely to approve it anyway. (They couldn't officially say no (legally) before seeing the application, but they sure let me know where they stood.) I decided it wasn't worth that amount of hassle and money. I had used off-site public chargers for close to 2 years by then, but my driving patterns were going to change and it would become more of a problem not being able to charge in my building, so I moved.

That's pretty much what my situation was a condo owner -- my building's board couldn't refuse to consider an EVSE, but it would have taken a lot of work and about $5K-$6K to get the details needed to apply for their approval, and they intimated they were unlikely to approve it anyway. (They couldn't officially say no (legally) before seeing the application, but they sure let me know where they stood.) I decided it wasn't worth that amount of hassle and money. I had used off-site public chargers for close to 2 years by then, but my driving patterns were going to change and it would become more of a problem not being able to charge in my building, so I moved.
Yeah HOA boards like this are very frustrating - it doesn’t benefit them directly so they want to be as difficult as possible to not allow it and it works. Just feels like in CA and in LA especially where there are so many EVs now they are behind the times. Installing EV stations could be major selling point for the complex and new owners or tenants.