Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right to switch to new color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when Tesla shut down the green and brown color, they forced customers to change to the remaining colors. Now they have new colors, they should allow customers who want to switch to these new colors to do so if their cars are not in production. This will make all customers happy.

Elon just tweeted that the orphaned colors can still be ordered "off menu" (whatever that means) for the "next few months":

attachment.php?attachmentid=77651&d=1428762326.png

Over at TM forums owners are being told that they will be required to re-price the car according to the new pricing scheme if they wish to change to one of the new colors. That seems unnecessarily onerous to me.

Yeah this seems to be the trend now. Whenever they add something new and desirable to the new build they require you to switch to the new pricing. I think they're trying to discourage these mix and match option sets. It probably complicates things for them.

With my configuration, it will be even cheaper if using the new price list. The fact is that I want the 2nd gen rear seat and it is no longer available. Should they permit me to keep the 2nd gen rear seat with the old price, which is HK$ 27,000 vs HK$19,000 (new price), I will change to the new list. I will email to them and ask.

New rules on any changes to your build after the 7 day grace period...$500 change fee plus any appropriate $$$ add/subtract based on options etc. And, yes, this applies even if you are changiong colors.

I've changed my order 3 times and not been charged a change fee. My DS said I could keep making changes until middle of May as I'm not in production until June. He also reported that Elon had been asked to consider making swaps to the new colours possible without repricing the whole package. It might happen yet.

Also, folks who had orders in the queue on the old colours will never be forced to swap to new colours. Once you've confirmed your order, that's it. Hence why there are a few brown P85ds around.

Also, folks who had orders in the queue on the old colours will never be forced to swap to new colours. Once you've confirmed your order, that's it. Hence why there are a few brown P85ds around.

That's not what happened with Green and Brown. They were supposed to be eliminated at the end of 2014. That meant that Tesla didn't force any P85D orders to switch colors because P85Ds were being made before the end of 2014. 85D orders on the other hand weren't supposed to start being made until January for Febuary delivery (and really didn't start production until February). So Tesla called all 85D orders and insisted that we change colors (I had one of those orders). Some people converted 85D orders into P85Ds just to preserve the color they wanted. But almost everyone was forced to choose a new color on their confirmed 85D order. Green or Brown cars made in 2015 were a very tiny exception and not the norm.

Things appear to be different this time. They appear to be wanting to eliminate the old colors by the end of June and all models of the car available are being made before then. So it seems likely that they will just make sure any orders for the old colors get made before then. Basically they didn't announce the 70D until they were ready for production. Which isn't surprising since it's just an 85D with a smaller battery.

I certainly hope you're right and this is how they handle things and that everyone gets the color they want. But historically this is not what they did with Green or Brown. So you can't just point at that an say that everyone is assured. I tend to agree though that it appears that they've learned the lesson from the 85D roll out.

Last edited: