Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rim damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how this could have happened but considering the gross weight of this car and the 21inch rims with low profile tires, I think this happened after I ran over a bridge connector (that metal rail that stick out between two pieces of concrete on a bridge to give it some flex). The oddity here is that the tire isn't busted, it just completely gave out to allow the rim to take this much damage.
I'm pretty upset over this since I'm very careful with my beloved model s. I know there are some people here that have had to replace a rim, any ideas on how to deal with this and what this will cost? What does Tesla charge for a new 21in grey rim?

Also, looks like I might have to replace the tire as well since there is a small piece of the sidewall that got chewed up as well and I'm thinking of putting on a wider tire, any idea on the max width that the stock 21s will take? I will be keeping the fronts at 245 as is but the rears can and need to be wider I believe.

Attachments

• 20130527_001505.jpg
    20130527_001505.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,500
  • 20130527_001425.jpg
    20130527_001425.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,388
That wheel may be repairable. I am not sure where you are located. It may be almost as as cheap to replace it because they will charge extra to match the paint. A couple of places in Houston repair wheels. I don't think the tire needs replacement.

That sucks. To order one rim you have to go through the service center I believe (can't do it online).

A few threads on similar issue:
Alloy Gators Rim Protection (Pics and info))
and
Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...
although that looks like more damage than the alloy gators would cover.

This was not a curb for sure, (there would have been a rash otherwise) I think this is the result of a combination of a few factors including the negative camber on the wheels so the outside of the rim/tire eats more of the impact. If just that part of the tire gives, the rim is completely exposed. Unfortunately the gator would not have done much here I think.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in Chicago, you really think structurally this rim is still good and can be salvaged?

That wheel may be repairable. I am not sure where you are located. It may be almost as as cheap to replace it because they will charge extra to match the paint. A couple of places in Houston repair wheels. I don't think the tire needs replacement.

Also, looks like I might have to replace the tire as well since there is a small piece of the sidewall that got chewed up as well and I'm thinking of putting on a wider tire, any idea on the max width that the stock 21s will take? I will be keeping the fronts at 245 as is but the rears can and need to be wider I believe.[/QUOTE]

Performance Plus package runs a rear wheel 21x90 with a 265/35-21. Michelin PS2, Conti Sportcontact, Pirelli PZero Nero all come in this size.

Agh! I believe the rim is about $950 thru service, but I heard they can also get them re-done....If you really want wider rears, I would consider maybe waiting to see if we can buy the P+ rear rims and tires and keep your existing broken rim as a spare or extra for the fronts.

I'm hearing $1300 per rim through Tesla so repair of the rim may be worthwhile to investigate. I scratched the right rear rim in the first few days of ownership while parallel parking and now have the mirrors angled down while in reverse and am very careful when backing up and usually end up 18 inches from the curb. I did take the car to a reputable tire shop and had the manager look at the rear tires. He felt that the 245's were undersized for the 21 inch rims and actually recommended a 265 mm width tire which would protrude out laterally and protect the rim a bit more. I'm planning to order the armor guards soon.

any ideas on how to deal with this and what this will cost?

You must be new to low profile tires...you're driving on 21" rims and low profile summer performance tires .. stuff like this is expected to happen. In a nutshell, they are just not practical. Kind of like the impracticality of the fuel efficiency on a Bugatti Veryon (which is "3". yes, that is "3 miles per gallon".) IMO, due to the higher risk of blowouts (or rather, rapid deflation after hitting a pothole), I don't find these tires safe either. I would never feel safe driving my family around on these. While I won't go as far as to say that I feel these tires are outright "unsafe", the truth is that they are just more susceptible to damage and risk of blow outs. THAT is what I find unsafe about them.

On the technical side, "low-profile" means the sidewalls are short. This makes the sidewalls firmer, and less likely to bend and deform on turns, which results in better handling. These short sidewalls on low profile tires are very fragile and vulnerable to road hazards such as potholes and other obstructions (as you just encountered). In the winter, it is like driving on ice skates. In addition, the typical lifetime expectancy for the treadwear is 6k-10k miles before falling below 4/32" and needing replacement.

To add to this even further, the tires are noisier and the ride itself is more punishing because there's less sidewall rubber to absorb the bumps.

This is no "secret" either. Officials from Goodyear, Michelin, and Bridgestone will all admit to this.

"They are more susceptible to pothole damage," said Bill VandeWater, Bridgestone's consumer tire products manager, in Nashville. "They don't have as much give before the tread contacts the rim. There isn't as much deflection capability as a taller tire."It is meant for those people who see the freeway exit sign that says 40 mph, and they get that gleam in their eye and think: I bet I can do it at 80 mph," VandeWater said.

Even auto manufacturers and government officials admit they are impractical:

Volkswagen's suggestion. "Avoid driving on roads with potholes, deep gouges or ridges," it tells owners of cars equipped with these tires.

"My observation, other than styling, is why have them?" asks Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety in Washington, D.C. "My advice to consumers is don't buy them."

There are 0 ... Z-E-R-O ... benefits from low profile tires. For some people, as impractical and unsafe as they are, people view them as aesthetically pleasing and somehow that is more important to them than safety and cost of maintenance. They are even worse for you in terms of fuel economy, or in the M.S. world, the 21" low profiles will negatively affect your EV range.

If you don't want to deal with roadhazards and rim damage, blowouts, etc, in addition to regularly replacing your tires every 8-10k miles for treadwear alone, then I STRONGLY suggest replacing all of them with the 19" rims and some good 19" Michelins. This will also improve your range. You won't have the pothole/obstruction problems anymore, and the treads should last you a good 30k miles or more (as is probably what you're used to coming from whatever ICE vehicle you came from).

I leave with this - when you're driving 75mph, who gives a crap what your tires/rims LOOK like anyway? At 75mph, what matters is how safe and durable your tires are.

Last edited:
Having done the Porsche thing and the Mercedes thing with fancy low-profile wheels and Pirellis, I gotta agree with yo' above. 21" (or 22" even) on the Model S are just crazy unless you enjoy feeling more bumps not to mention replacing tires often and replacing rims from time to time.

Think of it this way. Those tires each conume around 7-8 gallons of oil in order to be made. Every time you change them out, which can be every 6-8K miles, you're consuming another ~32 gallons of oil. Is it worth it?

I'm aware of all this with the 21in rims. This is also not my first go around with low profile tires since most of the cars I've owned had these on from the factory. I will be putting 19in wheels on in the winter, but for now, the 21s are staying.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know if anyone here had these put on the 8.5in rim?

I was told yes by a local tire store, but Michelin lists 265's as 9" minimum width.

There are 0 ... Z-E-R-O ... benefits from low profile tires. For some people, as impractical and unsafe as they are, people view them as aesthetically pleasing and somehow that is more important to them than safety and cost of maintenance. They are even worse for you in terms of fuel economy, or in the M.S. world, the 21" low profiles will negatively affect your EV range.

If you don't want to deal with roadhazards and rim damage, blowouts, etc, in addition to regularly replacing your tires every 8-10k miles for treadwear alone, then I STRONGLY suggest replacing all of them with the 19" rims and some good 19" Michelins. This will also improve your range. You won't have the pothole/obstruction problems anymore, and the treads should last you a good 30k miles or more (as is probably what you're used to coming from whatever ICE vehicle you came from).

I leave with this - when you're driving 75mph, who gives a crap what your tires/rims LOOK like anyway? At 75mph, what matters is how safe and durable your tires are.

My reasons exactly for wanting the 19's. Early on, I was going to go for the Signature edition (until us Canadians got hit with the import duty which pushed the price too high) and I was trying to figure out how to not have to pay for the 21's.

My reasons exactly for wanting the 19's. Early on, I was going to go for the Signature edition (until us Canadians got hit with the import duty which pushed the price too high) and I was trying to figure out how to not have to pay for the 21's.

Hey, some of us Sig owners just went for the 'no-cost downgrade' to 19" wheels and tires. It'll save money in the long run.

Hey, some of us Sig owners just went for the 'no-cost downgrade' to 19" wheels and tires. It'll save money in the long run.

Yeah, but it's a $3,750 option in Canada over the standard equipment 19's. That's a big chunk to swallow in a "no cost downgrade". Worked out well when I ended up going the Production route, except for that Sig Red color which I really would have liked.

I think the negative points about low profile tires are valid. I really wanted the 85P+. I am not sure if there are any ways to get the 85P+ with 19 in wheels and tires with more sidewall. I suspect I would need to find aftermarket wheels to get a similar tire width and an increase in tire profile.