Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim edge protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve tried them all and I regret to say that there’s nothing that’s foolproof.

Most will provide protection from minor scrapes, but not a single product will give you protection from a major scrape. Best foolproof protection is for the driver: don’t be a fool going around curbed corners or obstructions:). Swing wide.

Sure and agreed.

Unfortunately I have to parallel park along a busy street twice a day. The odds are not in my favor.

OK, I got the $5 ones I posted about previously and it's not individual ones, for that amount (plus shipping, still under $12) you get enough to do ALL the wheels. It did NOT come with instructions and since I have never done this before that would have been helpful. I see looking at other products online that they come with superglue gel for holding down the seam. Already lost a bit, but I thought it might go as I had pressed it back in several times after originally starting the install on dirty rims so I had added a cut so I would only lose the dirty bit.

If you haven't done the install yet, I would either follow the included instructions or if there are none use alcohol on a cotton swab to clean the rim first. Then use super glue gel to keep the seam from splitting and spinning the protector off. I am off to buy glue this AM. Fortunately, I still have enough extra to fix what I have but perhaps I will buy another length from China for $5.

-Randy

Unacceptable.

I've not seen any other current car manufacturer offer, as a standard option, a tire/rim combo that results in rim rash as much as the Aero set. Either the tires are flush with the rim (or overhang just a bit) or the selected OEM tires includes a rim protection lip.

This not only affects parallel parking, but clipped curbs. With the rim protruding out beyond the tire, it makes it more likely to get chipped when clipping a driveway curb.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death. I'm just venting because 2 days after getting our Mod 3, my wife rashed half the rim and 2 weeks later I chipped the rear passenger after turning just slightly too soon onto a driveway. I know in my wife's case, she would have likely messed up the rim even if the tire was flush, but it would not have been as deep. But for the chip, that could have easily been prevented with a more flush tire.

Lessons learned...go wide.

Last edited:
My Volvo is identical. I think it's just new cars have made efforts to put on stylin' rims.

I forgot to post a pic of my install:

IMG_3755.JPG

Obs I have a red car

-Randy

Next set of tires, look for ones that have rim protectors. I had some Kuhmos with these and its worked ok. Thought i rashed my rims a few times but was ok others I thought it would be a big rash but was really small.

If got rash already, dremmel then touch up paint. Not an ideal fix but if you do it right you can minimise it.

I bought rimblades, but decided not to install them. The wheels look small already and I don't want them to look smaller. Plus I like the look of the tire & wheel edge separation. The rimblades would hide that. I bought some touch up paint for my curb rashes. I am sticking with my decision after 2 rashes.. let's see how long I can hold out.

Reactions: mmccking
Do you need 3 of them, each being 8 metres?

With 22" diameter rims (the max dia rimblades mentions),
each wheel will need 22*3.142=69.124"
So 4 wheels, in meters=69.124*4*2.54/100
=7.022 metres

It'll be less for 18" or 19" wheels.

You should only need one. I ordered the blue to see how it looked, but it is too light. More like a bright acrylic blue. The two black ones seem to be the same and having a backup at that price seemed reasonable.

The first vendor delivered the rolls quickly and I'd recommend them for that reason. The other guys took closer to 6-7 weeks.

I had curb rash on both passenger wheels within 2 weeks! I purchased RimSavers locally here in Toronto ($80) and installed them.

Wish I had done that as soon as I got the car.

Vin

Don’t feel bad — they most likely would not have prevented the curb rash anyway. Rim protectors do very little to protect rims — it’s mostly all hype. Think about the forces on the rim when you scrape a curb — should we think that a cheap piece of plastic taped onto the rim is going to do the job? No way.

I was in Asia bored and surf on Aliexpress for little things for my MODEL 3. Got two sets for under 40 bucks. Two piece black/ red and black/black 3M based adhesive and looks like the higher priced versions available in the states. Took about rwo weeks to arrive.

Here is image of the red/black.

Attachments

• IMG_20180803_172707.jpg
    IMG_20180803_172707.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: C141medic