TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rim protection idea against curb rash (Aero wheels only...)

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by m3guy, Sep 1, 2018.

?

Do you worried about curb rashes?

1. Sadly I am not a good driver.

6.5%
  2. I am a ok driver but I scratched my rims alot.

12.9%
  3. I am a good driver. Yet I am prone to mistakes.

58.1%
  4. Curb rashes? I am Ken Block you idiot!

22.6%
  1. m3guy

m3guy Member

I am going to get my Model 3 next week if everything wents good.

I am a careful driver, but like everybody else I am prone to mistakes as well. I rashed my rims on my other car probably 3 - 4 times in 3 years so I am worried about the same thing gonna happen to my new Model 3.

I was exploring the options out there for how to protect it. I stumbled upon several products that claimed to be good protection. But as far as the reviews on Amazon, all of of them are seems to be junk. One example: https://www.amazon.com/GoBadges-RB01-Blade-fits-wheels/dp/B00BHD60JY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535804871&sr=8-4&keywords=rim+protectors

So I kept exploring and got an idea when I saw this product: https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Guards-Rubber-Protector-Protection/dp/B01BWKCUAO/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1535804913&sr=1-4&keywords=car+door+edge+guards

It has good reviews against door edges. So it might also work to cover the edges of Aero wheel cover to create a buffer spacing that might help to migitate or at least minimize the damage against curb rashes. It looks like its pretty tight to fit and kept secure in place but the pressure between the Aero wheel and cover should also give extra force to keep it in place so you might not need to use a glue or adhesive to adhere it as well.

I am going to experiment it when I got my car next week. I will let you know if it works out.

2. carlg

carlg Member

I was doing research on this problem also. I am wondering if anyone has tried these British AlloyGator vinyl alloy wheel edge protectors. After watching this installation video, I am thinking this might be a good investment, but am wondering if there are any issues associated with installing them. Concerned that they may cause a slow air leak or void warranty from Tesla. Also not sure if they can cause other problems or issues I haven't even thought of. Any feedback would be appreciated.

3. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

ha.. I have viewed the aero covers as the rim protectors themselves

• Like x 1
  4. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

My wheel got damaged from being towed, the strap for the dolly rubbed the paint near the edge, and on the inside of the wheel.

5. carlg

carlg Member

@gaswalla.
    Sadly the Aero wheel covers won't protect the alloy wheel rim which protrudes out farther than the plastic wheel cover. I already discovered that when my wife damaged both wheels on the passenger side while cutting a right turn too close in a parking lot.

6. R1Fast

R1Fast P3D Blue/White

Alloy Gators and the like do not hold up between a metal wheel w/2000 lbs of force behind it and a cement curb. The only exception being if you just barely graze the curb. Even in that case, damage to the rim is still likely if not nearly unavoidable. Been there, done that!

Also, wheel bands IMO create more danger and risk of damage than they solve. I've tried a few different brands and every single one of them has had one of the bands detach from the wheel over time. In the worst case it was within a few weeks of install. In the best case the set lasted about 3 months before they started to fail due to weather/wear and sheer centrifugal force. One eventually snapped at the 'joint' and started whipping around on the freeway @ 70mph, damaged the fender like Zorro on sterroids and flew off into traffic behind me.

Definitely not worth the money or false sense of security if you ask me. :)

7. carlg

carlg Member

@R1Fast
    Thank you so much for your feedback!! I sort of suspected your comments would be the case for most of the options I have been reading reviews on. I am still intrigued by this particular AlloyGator solution after watching the installation video that I provided as a link in my original post earlier today. It seems that wedging the wheel band between the rim and the tire bead would be a lot more secure that just sticking it on the outside edge of the wheel with some adhesive tape. However I am concerned that this may jeopardize the integrity of the airtight seal between the tire bead and the rim. Have you watched the video for this particular model or actually tried them out? I do agree that any piece of plastic is not going to afford much protection for anything but a very slow and slight graze of the curb - that is the type of damage I am concerned about (as in parallel parking).
    Assuming you don't use any type of wheel rim protection, what do you recommend doing about the damage when it occurs? I have not had any issues with curb rash after 46,000 miles on my Model S, but my wife has already got some on the two passenger wheels on her Model 3 after less than 1,000 miles. I have noticed that the Model 3 has a longer distance between front and rear axles, and this causes the car to cut corners more sharply unless you compensate by taking wider turns.
    Thanks again. Appreciate any suggestions or follow-up to your earlier comments.

8. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Your wife isn't alone, seems to be an epidemic. I'm thinking wider tires might help with the issue, but haven't really seen any pictures of anyone who has tried this. I also wonder if the aero wheels lip sticks out more than usual. Or maybe it's just more noticeable on the darker wheels?

9. mrpetrov

mrpetrov Member

Had my model 3 for a week, already rashed the rims on two of the wheels.

What tricked me is that the rear camera's white lines which indicate the edges of the car aren't actually set at the edge - I hit the edge of a curb when the camera white line wasn't quite touching the curb.

• Like x 1
  10. RCWtristan

RCWtristan Member

"...]the rear camera's white lines which indicate the edges of the car aren't actually set at the edge[..."
    Actually, the white lines are not intended to show the edge of the vehicle. At least not on my 'S'. The white lines are perfectly indicating the middles of the two rear tires. If I keep the white line about 4" for the curb when backing, I will be almost perfectly on the concrete curb (maybe even too close). Good idea for new owners is to familiarize yourself with that the camera portrays by backing up several times at an object's edge and repeatedly getting out to check the result. MY wife's VW, completely different. My prior Ford hybrid, completely different.

11. gzerninplatz

gzerninplatz Member

Wheel bands. easy to apply, easy to repair. Had them 4 years on my S and now on my 3. go directly to wheel bands company and they will sell you a whole second kit cheaply to use for repairs...
    wheelbands.jpg

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

It would've been nice if Tesla offered a system similar to Around View Monitor on Nissans (and by other names on vehicles from many other automakers). I LOVE the feature on my '13 Leaf SV w/premium package and have been enjoying it since end of July 2013 (1st on a leased '13 Leaf and now an on owned '13 Leaf). It gives you a virtual overhead view and pushing on the camera button a few times switches you to a view of the right side (skip to 0:47 of ) so you can see how close you are to the curb. I didn't cause any curb rash on my 2 year leased Leaf and I don't think I added any to the used '13 Leaf I've had since July 2015.

Some other automakers have much fancier versions (see 2nd link below). I test drove a Rav4 and Camry at a local auto show earlier this year and both of them had fancier implementations than Nissan, including a view of the left AND right curbs, the ability to zoom in and a virtual fly around view (simulating something orbiting the car). See (note, this video is from 2016). They show zoom at 2:25 and left and right views at 2:35.

My '19 Bolt Premier has GM's "Surround Vision" system which has the virtual overhead view + front and back cameras but the picture quality sucks vs. my '13 Leaf and it doesn't have the curb views nor zoom. I can kinda guess the distance from the curb via the overhead view.

The topic's come up a bunch of times before like at the below:
    What's the value of 360º bird's eye view?
    360 camera view and hotspot

13. kev1n

kev1n Member

why do people think some plastic will help protect your wheel from curb rash? none of these junk are going to actually protect your wheel when you hit a curb. the only instance i see this working is if youre going at walking pace at the correct angle. save your money.

instead of researching for ways to protect your wheels, do some research on how to become better at parking