TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rim repair

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Chris, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Chris

Chris Member

My 21" rims are in need of some curb rash repair. Really easy to mess up those rims...

Can anyone recommend a rim repair place in the DC / I270 corridor area? Thank you.

2. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Chris, you might want to think about trying to do the repair on your own. There are several on this forum who have done that with some success, they want $250 per wheel in this area. If you are going to get curb rash on a continual basis it can get quite expensive. I used 80 grit sand paper to start, the aluminum is soft so sands fairly easily, then gradually go to finer grit maybe 150. Once you have the majority of the rash smooth use 0000 steel wool to smooth out the rim, then tape off the area and spray with clear acrylic sealer. Depending upon how much effort you put into it most people when standing back will not see the rash, probably not as good as a professional but total cost about $10.

3. Chris

Chris Member

Thanks, Merrill. Have you used any paint before applying the acrylic? If so, did you get it from Tesla? I have the black rims.

4. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

No, I have the silver. But with black you would need some color to match, I think Tesla has the touch up paint for both the sliver and gray.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Tesla does sell the paint for the grey rims as well. Can pick it up at service center and save shipping but call first to check if in stock.

6. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Yes, they show it on line in the accessories.

7. dsm363

If you happen to live near or are going to a service center you can buy it there and not have to pay shipping. Saves a few bucks.

8. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

Chris;

I had a small curb rash on one of my 19" wheels. I had my car in recently for annual service at the Rockville SC and I asked them to repair the wheel. They sent it out for repair. It cost me $150 -- it looks brand new.

9. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Going in for service on Thursday I will ask them if they have the touch up in stock.

10. dsm363

Great. If you call ahead or email then they can make sure they have it in stock so you only have to go once.

11. Chris

Chris Member

That sounds like a great option. Will save me an extra trip to a tire shop. Thank you all for the great advice!