Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim Savers Anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had purchased and installed those rimsavers in my 19” Model 3 rims before and I’d swear I would not buy and use them again. They had a tendency to fly away and ricochet towards the body of your car causing further damage. Yes, you might have save your rims from abrasion but end up damaging your car’s body. They are glued on to the rims and dont stay very long. People had written the same feedback as I did.

I suggest saving your cash, spend a bit more and buy an Alloygator rim protectors instead. They cost around $139 but I believe there is a COVID 19 discount code “#stayathome” saving you about 30% off its msrp. It is made of a solid material and does not easily come off. See image of my rims below after it was installed.

3C8AEBA4-439D-45F6-BF74-47EE658BD679.jpeg
0AA25564-6079-48AE-B9D0-7F2D8B3EA9BB.jpeg
E5A84644-5EA3-484A-A7F4-0DA98F7BFEAC.jpeg
EBEA671D-B954-4360-930E-7CDF6A722335.jpeg

sometimes these online information on accessories make/push people to purchase something they really don't need at all.

In my case, and again I am speaking for myself with no disrespect to @tashtibet’s statement above as each one of us have different circumstances, I would not say I was pushed to purchase something I did not need. If you look at my Toyota Prius Rims and the Model 3 19” rims pictured below, even with the rim protector similar to what the Op presented above in place, the damage was still considerable in my humble opinion. This is why I have looked at other alternatives and have decided to invest in the alloygator rim protector. In my case, this purchase definitely was not a want but a necessity in protecting my $68K investment.

B2AD2CED-F93A-428A-A92B-5C5FF7388D2A.jpeg
AC14469A-3416-46D7-AD19-0C8DB0EC5358.jpeg
E8DD15C4-3003-449E-BBE4-FCBD11532F67.jpeg

I had purchased and installed those rimsavers in my 19” Model 3 rims before and I’d swear I would not buy and use them again. They had a tendency to fly away and ricochet towards the body of your car causing further damage. Yes, you might have save your rims from abrasion but end up damaging your car’s body. They are glued on to the rims and dont stay very long. People had written the same feedback as I did.

I suggest saving your cash, spend a bit more and buy an Alloygator rim protectors instead. They cost around $139 but I believe there is a COVID 19 discount code “#stayathome” saving you about 30% off its msrp. It is made of a solid material and does not easily come off. See image of my rims below after it was installed.

View attachment 532444 View attachment 532445 View attachment 532446 View attachment 532447

thank you so much for the recommendation! how was the installation process overall?

In my case, and again I am speaking for myself with no disrespect to @tashtibet’s statement above as each one of us have different circumstances, I would not say I was pushed to purchase something I did not need. If you look at my Toyota Prius Rims and the Model 3 19” rims pictured below, even with the rim protector similar to what the Op presented above in place, the damage was still considerable in my humble opinion. This is why I have looked at other alternatives and have decided to invest in the alloygator rim protector. In my case, this purchase definitely was not a want but a necessity in protecting my $68K investment.

View attachment 532477 View attachment 532478 View attachment 532479

Can you please send us the link of the alloygstor you are referring here,so we can buy...

thank you so much for the recommendation! how was the installation process overall?
There are several youtube videos showing diy installs but it appeared easier than it is doing it yourself. I shopped around for installers and received quotes as high as $425 for installation of those rims. I found a performance shop close to where I live that agreed to do the install for $100. He installed it for me and it took him more than an hour to install as it was his first attempt. Anyway, if you are going to diy, pls watch this video.

Can you please send us the link of the alloygstor you are referring here,so we can buy...
Just do an internet search for alloygator and you will see where to purchase them. Amazon sells them as well.

There are several youtube videos showing diy installs but it appeared easier than it is doing it yourself. I shopped around for installers and received quotes as high as $425 for installation of those rims. I found a performance shop close to where I live that agreed to do the install for $100. He installed it for me and it took him more than an hour to install as it was his first attempt. Anyway, if you are going to diy, pls watch this video.

Just do an internet search for alloygator and you will see where to purchase them. Amazon sells them as well.

I see lot of different brands when I do a search and also the coupon code you mention doesn't work,so i would appreciate if you can send the product page url what you bought so we can use the coupon too.
Thanks a lot for your help.

@surenderganji, being a newbie at this forum, I am not sure what the rules are with regards to putting a directlink to a seller’s website, that is why I wanted you to search that site. But here it is, and moderators please edit or remove the link if this is not allowed.
AlloyGator Alloy Wheel Protection - Protect Your Rims From Scratches Discount code is #stayathome (seller may cancel at any time).

Thanks a for your review and the link,i ordered one just now and 30% off worked out and waiting to put them on.....

Likewise, I did the curb rash thing (yesterday) on my Induction Wheels. Ordered as set of AlloyGator's and will get them put on when I get the rim repaired.With the #STAYATHOME discount code, total for me with tax was $123.17 (includes $11.20 tax). Definitely worth the investment IMHO. Maybe I should buy a spare one while they're on sale. :oops:

I successfully use Wheelbands.com products on my S and X. On my red S, I use a red track and a black insert on my black 21" rims. On my blue X I use a silver track with a blue insert on my silver 22" rim. All are installed by my wife within less than an hour for all 4 wheels. I highly recommend wheelbands. They look great, do the job and are easy to install.

Can you please provide me with the person/shop that installed your alloygator? I'm not too far from Corona. Thanks.

Just my 2¢...

I tend to curb rash my wheels pretty often so I installed Alloygators on the 21' Arachnids on my Model S, unfortunately as other users have commented on the Model S forums, one of them came off on the freeway and scratched the rim as it went flying off. I then took the Arachnid to get repainted, and I noticed the entire circumference of the rim was scratched due to the metal "teeth" used to secure the Alloygator to the rim during installation. I guess the very low chin profile of the Arachnids, [and probably the Turbines and Uberturbines too], make the Alloygators completely useless.

Alloygators are a UK company and I found the following comment from a TMC member from across the pond that summarizes my situation perfectly ...

Don’t use alloygators as they scratch the rims during fitting and all of mine have come off whilst driving...

The thing is, now I don't know if I should take the other 3 Alloygators off and pay to repaint the other 3 Arachnids, or should I just leave them on and wait for the inevitable to happen... :rolleyes:

It's safe to say, I will definitely won't be installing Alloygators on my Model Y with Uberturbines. Maybe they'll work wonders on smaller wheel sizes.

• Informative
Reactions: BnGrm
I was reading this whole thread today thinking I won't need a rim saver, I will dive be very careful. Then this happened when I was leaving my work parking lot. I cried a little after if happened. Haha. Temporary fixed it will Sharpie.

IMG_20200609_182713.jpg IMG_20200609_185132.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tk1971