Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim/Tire combo on MYP to reduce curb rash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Expecting delivery of my MYP in May and want to get ahead of switching out the Uberturbine rims/tires. Worried about all the curb rash potential around Chicago. Looking for suggestions (thinking 19 rims and tires to add some extra cushion to the ride?) and trying to find rims/tires that are offset enough to avoid exposing the wheels to the curb by standing out and making me be a SUPER paranoid driver and just enjoying what this awesome ride will deliver. TIA!

I have a set of the Replika R241 which are Turbine style in 19x8.5 with stock Continentals and have rubbed the curb with them. Tires rub but no rim rash. The 8.5 is about 1 inch narrower than the standard Gemini 19's so likely whatever wheels you choose, just make sure the tires jut out a bit more. I think the wheel offset is 40?

If you like the look of the MYP as is, you could find someone selling their M3P Uberturbines (20x9 - all square, so you can rotate them properly) and mount 255/40R20 tires. On that wheel the OEM 235 tires are stretched, but 255s will help you in the battle against curbs.