Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rimac Automobili Concept_One

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, now we have some actual photos.

Ultimately, I "think" the plan will be to sell components and drivetrain expertise using the Concept One as a halo car. I'll try to ask him about that.

Hi Domenick,

You're right, we're not planing to produce affordable EVs in the near future. The reason is obvious - the massive investment needed for a large scale production and the competition from the big car companies. There is simply no chance to keep up with the big OEMs. Even Tesla is huge compared to our small engineering and production team. In our country there is no investment tradition for high-technology start-ups so financing is a big issue...

We want to be an independent small scale manufacturer of exclusive cars (like Pagani or Koenigsegg) but also a supplier for drivetrains and engineering services for other projects (not conversions).

I found his comment ...

"We didn’t know what we were doing, but we had fun,” he said. “The car performed great, even though we couldn’t use our speed advantage. We did enjoy passing all the Teslas, though.”

rather immature...shows a cockiness that (to me) spouts of both over-confidence and a lack of market understanding.

Don't get me wrong...while Rimac has built a great one-off car, I'm not sure he understands the "economics" of taking on Bugatti et al...he'd better have a backer with a piss-pot full of cash coupled with a tolerance of accepting "not showing a profit anytime soon" approach to business...damn small market for them Bugatti V's ..:wink:

I also wondered when I saw this part in the article. The journalist asked my co-driver (in an e-mail interview) how we performed at the e-miglia rally. Her answer was: "On e-miglia race we went together, I was the co-driver. We finished on 6th place. The e-miglia is not about the fastest time. If you arrive too early to a checkpoint you receive a big penalty - so this was not the optimal kind of race for us - we couldn't use our power advantage. We are not experienced in this kind of races so we messed simply up by not following the rules and road book exactly. Anyway it was a very usefull experience for us - we have tested our technology in very harsh conditions. Our car is one of the few which could climb up to the top of the Grossglockner Mountain road (the road with the highest attitude in Europe) and drive over 280 km that day. We also had a lot of fun chasing Teslas up the mountain :)"

...I hope that this article won't leave a too bad impression in this early stages...

Anyways, thanks for following our work. Dominick, thanks a thousand times for spreading reliable information on so many places!!

Btw. As someone has mentioned, I agree that other companies could also produce an EV supercar but to be honest - not many companies see potential in an 15-car-per-year market. We are perfectly fine with staying a small company so we'll build it.

Mate reveals his insane supercar:
http://www.rimac-automobili.com/
This thing is really beautiful.
home06_181512.jpg

Mate is the ultimate DIY'er. Like many of us he wanted an EV and did a conversion. Like many of us he couldn't get the components that he really wanted. Unlike many of us he had the ability to build his own components to a higher level than anything else available, and did so. In the same time frame that I've managed to do one average conversion he's created new components and pushed the technology to the edge. Much respect.

Mate is the ultimate DIY'er. Like many of us he wanted an EV and did a conversion. Like many of us he couldn't get the components that he really wanted. Unlike many of us he had the ability to build his own components to a higher level than anything else available, and did so. In the same time frame that I've managed to do one average conversion he's created new components and pushed the technology to the edge. Much respect.
I completely agree. He is unbelievably dedicated to EV's and has done unbelievable things in a very short amount of time. The concept-one looks amazing.