TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rimac Concept_two vs Tesla Next Gen Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by aikisteve, Mar 7, 2018.

1. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Yesterday Rimac announced their latest full electric hypercar at the Geneva Motor Show and boy, does it have mighty impressive numbers. Now, the price tag of over €1 million sets it in a different league as the Tesla Roadster, but the performance figures are pretty similar. And maybe some elements will hint at what the Roadster will actually pack when it comes out in a few years.

So I made a detailed video about what we know about the Rimac now and where I had information, i also compared it to the Roadster. It's more Rimac that Tesla, so I hope it's fine to post here. But this is a car to keep an eye on...

(the video is quite lengthy, as there is a lot of information to get through, but I hope this will give you a complete overview)

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Brando

Brando Active Member

inspiring

• Like x 1
  3. Brando

Brando Active Member

side note: Even if I had the money, doubt I'd buy any car over $50,000.
    IF I can't find a better use for my money, my imagination must be failing.
    IF I had a lot of money I might buy EVs just to soon sell them to supply used market. (<$25,000 new ones)

4. Altes

Altes Member

The difference is that the Tesla Roadster will actually happen.....Rimac??? Croatia????

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
  5. Brando

Brando Active Member

perhaps you should actually watch these two videos before making .... comments.
    Most all your questions will be answered.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

I really like the Rimac guy. Every time I see home talking about his cars, he had such and energy and Elegance. He is very Elon musk like in that he is very charismatic but they are totally different guys. Elon is more like me, a big nerd with bad dad jokes. We are the same age and I basically get all of his humor because I'm almost as big of a nerd.

But enough about me. I'm a huge fan of Rimac and they make incredible machines. Kind of reminds me of koningsegg (I know I Buchared that spelling).

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. gregd

gregd Active Member

Rimac, yes. Mate Rimac is an amazing engineer. His company has a different business model than Tesla's, and I think he's picked a really good one. Very complimentary. Very capable. Probably also, very necessary.

As others have said, watch the videos.

• Like x 1
  8. Brando

Brando Active Member

Think you'll enjoy. side note: Rimac is supplier to KOENIGSEGG latest hybrid

• Like x 1
  9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The Rimac car appears to be very impressive. But when the new Tesla Roadster goes into production in two years (hopefully) offering similar capabilities for a quarter of the price, I think the market will respond and favor the Roadster. Rimac will certainly sell some cars, but at that price point the market is relatively small. Of course at $200K (for the base Roadster) the market is also small.

I’m still hoping that someday Tesla will offer a new Roadster version with two motors and a much smaller battery pack for far less money. But realistically I don’t expect that to happen.

10. gregd

gregd Active Member

Yes, and I think this is ok. Rimac's business model is different than Tesla's. What he appears to be doing is to build a very few halo cars (Concept-1, 2), as demonstrators and proof of his amazing technology. But the company also makes a good bit of its money by selling bits and pieces of that technology to others, such as what he's doing with Koenigsegg. Mate seemed apologetic about doing that (needing the money), but I expect over time we will see it evolve into a core part of the company's business, as other car manufacturers use or license his stuff in higher volume.

• Like x 1
  11. Altes

Altes Member

Watched them...still not impressed, yes different business model catering to the uber wealthy, far simpler to build 100 specialty cars than a full line of production vehicles. Tesla is attempting to reinvent multiple transportation industries, not play with 100 toys for billionaires

• Disagree x 1
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I think you are missing the point. Rimac cars showcase technology they sell to others.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. Brando

Brando Active Member

Bob Lutz might be impressed? or perhaps Henri Fisker? They can't seem to do this. But you have a good point, few of us can afford any car over $50,000. right?