Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rimac Concept_two vs Tesla Next Gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday Rimac announced their latest full electric hypercar at the Geneva Motor Show and boy, does it have mighty impressive numbers. Now, the price tag of over €1 million sets it in a different league as the Tesla Roadster, but the performance figures are pretty similar. And maybe some elements will hint at what the Roadster will actually pack when it comes out in a few years.

So I made a detailed video about what we know about the Rimac now and where I had information, i also compared it to the Roadster. It's more Rimac that Tesla, so I hope it's fine to post here. But this is a car to keep an eye on...

(the video is quite lengthy, as there is a lot of information to get through, but I hope this will give you a complete overview)

I really like the Rimac guy. Every time I see home talking about his cars, he had such and energy and Elegance. He is very Elon musk like in that he is very charismatic but they are totally different guys. Elon is more like me, a big nerd with bad dad jokes. We are the same age and I basically get all of his humor because I'm almost as big of a nerd.

But enough about me. I'm a huge fan of Rimac and they make incredible machines. Kind of reminds me of koningsegg (I know I Buchared that spelling).

• Love
Reactions: Cowby and Brando
The difference is that the Tesla Roadster will actually happen.....Rimac??? Croatia????
Rimac, yes. Mate Rimac is an amazing engineer. His company has a different business model than Tesla's, and I think he's picked a really good one. Very complimentary. Very capable. Probably also, very necessary.

As others have said, watch the videos.

Reactions: Lerha
I really like the Rimac guy. Every time I see home talking about his cars, he had such and energy and Elegance. He is very Elon musk like in that he is very charismatic but they are totally different guys. Elon is more like me, a big nerd with bad dad jokes. We are the same age and I basically get all of his humor because I'm almost as big of a nerd.

But enough about me. I'm a huge fan of Rimac and they make incredible machines. Kind of reminds me of koningsegg (I know I Buchared that spelling).
Think you'll enjoy. side note: Rimac is supplier to KOENIGSEGG latest hybrid

The Rimac car appears to be very impressive. But when the new Tesla Roadster goes into production in two years (hopefully) offering similar capabilities for a quarter of the price, I think the market will respond and favor the Roadster. Rimac will certainly sell some cars, but at that price point the market is relatively small. Of course at $200K (for the base Roadster) the market is also small.

I’m still hoping that someday Tesla will offer a new Roadster version with two motors and a much smaller battery pack for far less money. But realistically I don’t expect that to happen.

The Rimac car appears to be very impressive. But when the new Tesla Roadster goes into production in two years (hopefully) offering similar capabilities for a quarter of the price, I think the market will respond and favor the Roadster. Rimac will certainly sell some cars, but at that price point the market is relatively small.
Yes, and I think this is ok. Rimac's business model is different than Tesla's. What he appears to be doing is to build a very few halo cars (Concept-1, 2), as demonstrators and proof of his amazing technology. But the company also makes a good bit of its money by selling bits and pieces of that technology to others, such as what he's doing with Koenigsegg. Mate seemed apologetic about doing that (needing the money), but I expect over time we will see it evolve into a core part of the company's business, as other car manufacturers use or license his stuff in higher volume.

Rimac, yes. Mate Rimac is an amazing engineer. His company has a different business model than Tesla's, and I think he's picked a really good one. Very complimentary. Very capable. Probably also, very necessary.

As others have said, watch the videos.
Watched them...still not impressed, yes different business model catering to the uber wealthy, far simpler to build 100 specialty cars than a full line of production vehicles. Tesla is attempting to reinvent multiple transportation industries, not play with 100 toys for billionaires

• Disagree
Watched them...still not impressed, yes different business model catering to the uber wealthy, far simpler to build 100 specialty cars than a full line of production vehicles. Tesla is attempting to reinvent multiple transportation industries, not play with 100 toys for billionaires
I think you are missing the point. Rimac cars showcase technology they sell to others.

• Informative
Reactions: Lerha and Brando
Bob Lutz might be impressed? or perhaps Henri Fisker? They can't seem to do this. But you have a good point, few of us can afford any car over $50,000. right?