Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rimetrix Laminars are here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must be one of the few people on here that actually loves the look of Gemini wheels with caps.

They're growing on me. Plus, curb rash can be taken care of with a $35 replacement hubcap.

Truth be told, they grew on me too. I quite disliked them when I was first seeing them on Model Y's in the neighborhood, but after we got ours (just over a year ago), I started to come around on the look.

That said, I still prefer the look of the Apollo rims underneath, or the Laminars.

Reactions: JimMay
Random question...for those of you that sport the Laminars, is there a way to change the Model Y on the center display to show the laminar wheels instead of the Gemini?

@cusetownusa doubtful, since they are not from Tesla. If you switch to different Tesla-sourced rims, you can ask them to switch for you. But I doubt they'd have the images available for 3rd party options. I would love to be wrong, but this is my best guess.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
So I finally received my Model Y and installed the laminars immediately when I got home. Admittedly, the stock Gemini covers do look better in person than in photos. However, a very much prefer the laminars, they look great in person. I have also received a bunch of compliments on them and everyone just assumes they are just regular wheels and not aero covers.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I am very pleased with the look of the black laminars I just installed on my wife's midnight silver Y. More importantly, she couldn't be happier. It is a quality product and fits perfectly. We really did not care for the original black and silver two tone Gemini caps. If those were all black we wouldn't have switched. I'm sure she will get curb rash on these eventually and those can be easily and economically replaced.

New to this community and to Tesla ownership, but ordered a set of the Laminars a few weeks ago and got them installed. Was a bit bummed that they went on a black friday deal literally the day they arrived (I emailed the company to ask if the discount could be applied to no response), but the quality of them is great and the installation was quick.

I ordered a suction cup recommended in this forum and it won't even budge the center caps. Does anyone have a specific cap they recommend or alternate way of removing the center caps? They are TIGHT and I can't imagine them coming out well by prying without damaging either them or the wheel covers.

New to this community and to Tesla ownership, but ordered a set of the Laminars a few weeks ago and got them installed. Was a bit bummed that they went on a black friday deal literally the day they arrived (I emailed the company to ask if the discount could be applied to no response), but the quality of them is great and the installation was quick.

I ordered a suction cup recommended in this forum and it won't even budge the center caps. Does anyone have a specific cap they recommend or alternate way of removing the center caps? They are TIGHT and I can't imagine them coming out well by prying without damaging either them or the wheel covers.
I use a combo of the suction cup and a trim tool with a thin rag. I also cannot remove my Orbitals with the suction up alone.

I wasn't able to get the suction cup to work either. See my Post #94 and #96 for photos of the technique that I use. 100% reliable so far and I've removed all four of them twice now for tire rotations (at 10,000 and 20,000 miles).

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Thank you! That's a great idea. I wonder if a rubber or plastic plug could be added to the hole to cover it when not needed?

I think the hole in the cap would bother me aesthetically but not sure what other options there are. Scratches all over the rim or center cap would be more bothersome.

I use an iFixit prying tool for phones and it works great. I use two at the same time and it gets them off without scratching. It's like the blue long one in this link:

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 8.01.18 AM.png

Reactions: X Fan
I am very pleased with the look of the black laminars I just installed on my wife's midnight silver Y. More importantly, she couldn't be happier. It is a quality product and fits perfectly. We really did not care for the original black and silver two tone Gemini caps. If those were all black we wouldn't have switched. I'm sure she will get curb rash on these eventually and those can be easily and economically replaced.
Old thread but any pics with the midnight silver Y w/Laminars? Thx!