Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rimetrix Laminars are here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PXL_20211120_213013153.jpg
I like them. It's getting colder up in the north east so hopefully I can get some of that range back during the cold months. The stock covers are hideous and I've been running the bare 19s since I got it (I really like them).

Checked my email and it looks like Rimetrix has the Laminars, which are the wheel covers (hubcaps) for the Model Y. $289 for the set of four, with caps and rim protection kit. These covers also look to cover the edges of the rims which the Tesla Gemini covers do not.

View attachment 727024

View attachment 727025

View attachment 727026

Laminar-Install-480x320-1.gif

Are the covers glossy OR flat black(matte)??

I received my Rimetrix covers. Here they are on my 2021 MYLR.

1639949356390.png

1639949443177.png

1639949811906.png

I like how they look and they were easy to install. I had pulled off the OEM Gemini covers the day that I got the car.

* ease of installation
* shipping box and packing material are excellent to store the Gemini hubcaps in
* goes nicely with my chrome-delete look

Dislikes:
* difficult to remove the center cap (so I got a suction cup from Amazon, #B086J5969V that I keep in the car).
* the look is a little heavy for my taste.
* the Rimetrix rims are black like they are supposed to be. But it makes the rubber of my tires look washed-out. Against the silver Gemini rims the tires looked fine. This isn't a complaint against the Rimetrix, it just means that I need to keep my tires very black.

What I wanted (in priority order):
* black rims
* powder coat the OEM Gemini rims
* Rimetrix
* something else
* Gemini hub caps

But the cost, look, and ease of installation of the Rimetrix rims won me over.

I did ask Rimetrix Support if I could leave off the center cap and apply a decorative cover instead. But they said that the Rimetrix's would probably come off without the center caps securing them in-place. So I asked them about some kind of tool, fixture, or mechanism to make them easier to remove. I can envision me getting a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, not being able to remove the center cap, and whacking away at it with the pointy end of my tire-iron to remove it.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

* ease of installation
* shipping box and packing material are excellent to store the Gemini hubcaps in

Dislikes:
* the Rimetrix rims are black like they are supposed to be. But it makes the rubber of my tires look washed-out.
Ours came today and we agree with the points above. They're a gift for my spouse who really likes the look compared to the stock covers or the bare rims. Hopefully winter driving won't be a problem.

I don't know if I'm willing to keep the tires shined but I might try it once.

It looks like all four Rimetrix Laminar hubcaps are the same design, which means the charging port side (left) has hubcaps that look like they are spinning backwards to their direction.

Probably increase the cost if they made a left and right side, plus including instructions for people to (not) read.
And so do the original Tesla covers. I had never noticed it until I compared them with the Rimetrix today. They are all the same. There are no left and right versions of either brand.

Can someone post a picture of their wheels now that the wheel covers are not spanking new?

I felt that most pictures have mismatched finishes for wheel covers and tires where the wheel covers are brand new and the tires have some dirt.

Thanks in advance.