Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rimetrix Laminars are here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked my email and it looks like Rimetrix has the Laminars, which are the wheel covers (hubcaps) for the Model Y. $289 for the set of four, with caps and rim protection kit. These covers also look to cover the edges of the rims which the Tesla Gemini covers do not.

1635489397070.png

1635489476957.png

1635490159536.png

Laminar-Install-480x320-1.gif

Last edited:
I'm really interested in these, as well. I was going to hyperdip the gemini covers but didn't settle on a plan for the silver ring left behind. These could settle that. At $290 though...that's a lot for hub caps. I don't have my car yet, so I think I'll enjoy it first and throughout the winter before piling up the accessories.

I'm really interested in these, as well. I was going to hyperdip the gemini covers but didn't settle on a plan for the silver ring left behind. These could settle that. At $290 though...that's a lot for hub caps. I don't have my car yet, so I think I'll enjoy it first and throughout the winter before piling up the accessories.

Definitely looks interesting....I haven't seen white rims in person in my area yet to make an opinion on them or not. How did you paint them? Masking and spraypaint?

I finally went ahead and put Vinyl on the outside edge of my rims to get rid of the silver ring. Here is what it looked like before ->

View attachment 563156
And after:

View attachment 563157

Was actually easy to do. Took about...an hour. You don't have to be precise with it at all...you only see the outside edge of it. Well....maybe if you have your aero covers off frequently you will want to spend more time on it but I didn't.

I bought rvinyl black 3m 2080 vinyl, 1'x5', $16 on amazon. I cut 5' by 1/2" strips. If you stretch the strips just slightly as you put them on, 5' will cover the whole outside edge. Easy to put on...took more time to clean the wheel and cut the strip than putting them on. I used a heat gun...but....I don't think it did anything special vs just using my fingers to press the vinyl on.

View attachment 563159
View attachment 563158

Now to see how long the vinyl and plastidip last! A nice thing about the vinyl...is that if I ever get curb rash, I can just recover it with vinyl. The $16 of vinyl would be enough to do strips for 24 wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/MATTE-BLACK-Application-Vinyl-Vehicle/dp/B078X3Z1XX

We were waiting patiently for these but are passing - these are hideous and the price point is too much for wheel covers. I like the design of the model 3 covers so it’s unfortunate these aren’t appealing (to me anyway).
Not sure I agree on the looks. These look 1000% better than the factory Tesla covers. I do agree the price is kind of ridiculous and will still powder coat my Geminis for a few hundred more. Makes me wonder why Tesla does not do some better looking covers unless they are concerned most would pass on the 20” upgrade wheels.

Makes me wonder why Tesla does not do some better looking covers unless they are concerned most would pass on the 20” upgrade wheels.
The majority of Model Y’s I see on the road have either Induction or Uberturbines. Very few are Gemini’s. I’m pretty sure Tesla designed the covers to look terrible on purpose-$2000 is $2000 per car, which in the hundreds of thousands, is a lot of money!

Can’t wait to see the reviews. Might be my solution to my dislike of the geminis.
Have you seen them in person? I dislike them a lot less on my very infant MY than I did through pictures. I saw my twin but with inductions at a supercharger yesterday and wasn't wowed enough for $2k.

That said, I could see myself picking up a set of these if they offer a generous sale. I think their Tesla Tax for hub caps is excessive at the moment.

Reactions: qdeathstar
Have you seen them in person? I dislike them a lot less on my very infant MY than I did through pictures. I saw my twin but with inductions at a supercharger yesterday and wasn't wowed enough for $2k.

That said, I could see myself picking up a set of these if they offer a generous sale. I think their Tesla Tax for hub caps is excessive at the moment.

I have not seen them in person and probably never will unless I order them. Are you saying you don't like the look of them in pictures but they didn't seem as bad to you when you saw them in person? Based on photos, Too me they look a lot better than the geminis.

I love the look of the inductions but didn't go with them due to the smaller sidewall, $2,000, and small range hit. Was tough for me to justify $2,000 for them. I figured I could just get after market 19" wheels if I really hated the geminis in person. However, I am hoping that these covers look a lot better than the Geminis and will be a worthy alternative to buying aftermarket wheels or inductions.