Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rimetrix Orbitals vs Stock Aero Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m contemplating if the rimetrix orbitals look better than the stock aero hubs. What do y’all think? Front wheels or back wheels?

Attachments

• 2DA765F3-422A-4839-85DB-6D45703D406B.jpeg
    2DA765F3-422A-4839-85DB-6D45703D406B.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 4,283
Love them on my red :) got many compliments already at parking lots and at traf lights by tesla and non Tesla owners.

Attachments

• 59FDAA06-FBB0-42D9-8358-0ED09B6463F2.jpeg
    59FDAA06-FBB0-42D9-8358-0ED09B6463F2.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 1,628
  • BBA119CD-32AF-48DF-8572-5107042130E5.jpeg
    BBA119CD-32AF-48DF-8572-5107042130E5.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 8A374790-928C-4DA6-AFD3-A0814194E8B1.jpeg
    8A374790-928C-4DA6-AFD3-A0814194E8B1.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 1,581
Oh crap really? How long did you have them on? There is a way around that with some felt taped on. I’m going to keep my aero’s for my winter covers as I’m up in Toronto and it’s snowy here mid December to March. But if I ever decide to let them go or upgrade to 20” for my summer set, I’ll keep you in mind!

I brought the car to SC today for some delivery items to get done. 3 service and 2 sales guys reaction ‘wtf is that? Metal? Plastic?? Wow. Where’d you get these? Why doesn’t T just do these?’
LOL

Reactions: Floydsox
Our Orbitals were also starting to rattle so I took them off and used gaff tape on each pinch point where it grabs the stock wheel which stopped the rattling. I did see a tiny bit of scraping in the same stop so this should also help with the scratching as well.

The part I REALLY don't like about the Orbitals is getting the center hub out to get the cap off. It is really a pain and I dented / scratched the cap taking it off. Now I have a prying tool and have to slowly work your way around to get it out, but still a pain.

Having said that I do like the look compared to stock areo's, but I did see a slight decrease in range with them, much better than just the center cap adapter with all the spokes showing, but not as good as the stock areo's.

I added a set of black Orbitals to my car last week. They arrived in a few days after ordering and included a whole bunch of foam strips.
By the time I'd finished adding the foam to the 4th one I'd figured out how to do it.
I removed the original covers ages ago, but so far I can't really verify for sure that consumption has reduced by 2% or not.
The Orbtals do look pretty darned nice though, even it its only because they're relatively rare right now.

Oh - I just zoomed in on your pic - those new OE covers are nicer than the earlier ones aren't they? Do they cover the edge of the rim like the Orbitals do?

I think the re-designed aero covers would look better than the orbitals if they were painted satin black instead of grey.

But the orbitals look like mini Uberturbines, which look good

I don't like the fake lug nuts on the orbitals. Hope they re-design them and remove them on the next version

Last edited:
I think the re-designed aero covers would look better than the orbitals if they were painted satin black instead of grey.

But the orbitals look like mini Uberturbines, which look good

I don't like the fake lug nuts on the orbitals. Hope they re-design them and remove them on the next version
Agreed on the OEM being satin black. Also would like if they could design it to fit the tesla Center caps as they seemed to have purposefully created them to only use their own plastic with R etched in. Cheesy!

Has anyone lost one of their Orbitals while driving? I went to wash my car today only to notice that my front right Orbital was gone. The possibility of it having been stolen is highly unlikely. The only thing I can think of is when I went barreling through about six inches of water when the local river here crested over the road after hurricane Ida.

Our Orbitals were also starting to rattle so I took them off and used gaff tape on each pinch point where it grabs the stock wheel which stopped the rattling. I did see a tiny bit of scraping in the same stop so this should also help with the scratching as well.

The part I REALLY don't like about the Orbitals is getting the center hub out to get the cap off. It is really a pain and I dented / scratched the cap taking it off. Now I have a prying tool and have to slowly work your way around to get it out, but still a pain.

Having said that I do like the look compared to stock areo's, but I did see a slight decrease in range with them, much better than just the center cap adapter with all the spokes showing, but not as good as the stock areo's.

use a pry tool to get it off. takes <2 seconds per wheel. if you dont have one, buy one for 1 dollar of ebay.

I have had my orbitals since March and they sit on relatively tight (but are scratching the rims which i never see anyway).

The V2 aeros definetely look much worse than the v1 aeros. I dont think theyll ever make them black as black aeros look bad with grey/brown tires. Black aeros or black orbitals need tire shine otherwise they look aweful.

I added a set of black Orbitals to my car last week. They arrived in a few days after ordering and included a whole bunch of foam strips.
By the time I'd finished adding the foam to the 4th one I'd figured out how to do it.
I removed the original covers ages ago, but so far I can't really verify for sure that consumption has reduced by 2% or not.
The Orbtals do look pretty darned nice though, even it its only because they're relatively rare right now.

Oh - I just zoomed in on your pic - those new OE covers are nicer than the earlier ones aren't they? Do they cover the edge of the rim like the Orbitals do?
They don’t cover the edge of the rim like the orbitals do but that’s not really a concern to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Twiglett