TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rims, calipers, tint, and general TMC navigation

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Falcon100D, Jun 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Falcon100D

Falcon100D New Member

Greetings TMC experts! Just received my MS100D 10 days ago (lease) and have questions that I'd like your input on, but I'm sensitive to not being "that guy" and posting in the wrong area, creating garbage. Please offer direction if these should be tied to existing posts, or in another area altogether.

Looking at rims, but since car is a lease, not trying to go crazy. I want to just stay with the 19's and swap the tires. I like having a little protection from curbs and road hazards. Any tips appreciated.
    These look like an absolute steal...so wonder if they might not be quality?
    Axis Sport XR

Considering doing something with the calipers as far as painting or stickers. I think they look awesome as a bright, standout color...but I don't want peeps with the P to think I'm faking the funk. Thoughts on that from P owners, and suggestions if I go that route (considering it's a lease)?

Getting tint done immediately in LA. I usually do 20 in the back and 35 in the front. All glass roof. Any tips there?

Thx!

Rob

2. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Good looking wheels. Remember that the Tesla is a really heavy car, and the 100 D has tremendous torque.

Be absolutely sure that the wheels you choose will be capable of handling those loads.

Neither Tesla nor your insurance company will be happy if something happens with the inexpensive Asian imported aftermarket wheels you choose.

Not all that unusual for new owners of these cars to load it up with a bunch of friends, and then show off just how fast it accelerates :)

3. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

I don't think that you can paint or powder coat the calipers if you're under a lease. You may want to look into buying another set to put on your vehicle so that you can put the stock set back on before you turn it in.

I will make a shameless plug here and mention that I have a full set of fire red powder coated calipers for sale ($1K shipped CONUS). You could always re-sell them once you put the original set back on.

4. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

while that is an excellent idea, I'm afraid your set will NOT work for his case since he has the 100D, all non-P cars now come with standard single piston rear calipers (with a decorative cover). They no longer come with dual rear brakes like the ones from your 2014 (or any 4-piston) versions for that matter...

5. Falcon100D

Falcon100D New Member

Thanks Uncle Paul, and good point. That would be a really bad day if a rim came apart on me. Maybe I'll just stick with tint. :)

6. Falcon100D

Falcon100D New Member

I was thinking of going a different color than red, so
    Thx guys. I was thinking of going with yellow, twofold. 1. To prevent "P"100D guys from rolling their eyes at me, haha, and 2. Yellow looks good and really stands out with blue.