Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rims in Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The people at Kal Tire told me that the road noise on the Xice tires would be less than the Nokians but the handling of the Nokians is superior
I too had Hakka winter tires on past cars, and was very happy. I have a cottage up near North Bay, so I'll choose the better winter handling over road noise! This will be my first winter with my MY, and I want to continue to use the Kal Tire that have been very helpful to me with previous cars........did you also get your rims from Kal Tire? Where did you get your TPMS?

I too had Hakka winter tires on past cars, and was very happy. I have a cottage up near North Bay, so I'll choose the better winter handling over road noise! This will be my first winter with my MY, and I want to continue to use the Kal Tire that have been very helpful to me with previous cars........did you also get your rims from Kal Tire? Where did you get your TPMS?
I bought my rims and TPMS sensors from Wheelwiz.ca and then bought the tires and had all the swapping/mounting work done at KalTire.

I was able to buy the TPMS sensors from Wheelwiz because my M3 is a 2020 so it still uses the old sensors. If you have a 2021, I think your only choice is to get them from Tesla since they're the new (Bluetooth?) ones.

I bought my rims and TPMS sensors from Wheelwiz.ca and then bought the tires and had all the swapping/mounting work done at KalTire.

I was able to buy the TPMS sensors from Wheelwiz because my M3 is a 2020 so it still uses the old sensors. If you have a 2021, I think your only choice is to get them from Tesla since they're the new (Bluetooth?) ones.
The Tesla repair guy told me to buy TPMS only from tesla as they have encountered issues with users using aftermarket TPMS and the headache is not worth it he said.

The Tesla repair guy told me to buy TPMS only from tesla as they have encountered issues with users using aftermarket TPMS and the headache is not worth it he said.
Aftermarket tpms sensors are fine. If you buy the wrong ones you'll be in for a bad time.

There is no reason to pay Tesla's inflated price for the non Bluetooth units when there are many viable alternatives out there for 433mhz units.

Reactions: Vawlkus
so what is the condenses about road noise with the Hakka’s?

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Hakka’s because I’ve heard SO great things about it, but I’m quite concerned road noise (wife won’t like it).

I’m now choosing between Hakka’s, Conti VikingContact 7, Blizzaks WS90 and Xice with 19” R241s.

Comfort is a bigger priority for me than the handling per se! Any suggestions to choose between these?

Hello,
Trying to sort out winter tires & I think due to global supply issues it’s better to get them before fall. I’ve looked at a few option and the cheapest seems to be Costco tires & wheels (mich X-ice snow + okish rim) comes to $2400ish but the Bluetooth tpms comes to $400. But the winter tire package from Tesla is just $2500 for everything (pirl tires). Thoughts?

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Hakka’s because I’ve heard SO great things about it, but I’m quite concerned road noise (wife won’t like it).

I’m now choosing between Hakka’s, Conti VikingContact 7, Blizzaks WS90 and Xice with 19” R241s.

Comfort is a bigger priority for me than the handling per se! Any suggestions to choose between these?
X Ice are what you want then. I have the Hakkas and they are louder than the OEM tires for sure. Are they deafening by any means? No. Do you get used to it quickly and not even notice? Yes.

Reactions: Vawlkus

If you prioritize comfort, why not buy 18" wheels and tires? Should be a more comfortable ride, and likely cheaper too.

Reactions: AZP85
I ended up ordering the Conti Vikingcontact 7‘s from blackcircles.ca to go with my previously ordered R187’s. I bought a set of 4 of 225 50 18 - came to around $925 all in, delivered. Now waiting to take delivery of my car as I don’t think the service center will sell you TPMS sensors unless you have a car. :)
I was about to pull the trigger on the same tires. I like your set up. The rims came in yesterday and they’re beauties. The price was unreal.

I wanted to buy the Conti’s from Quattrotires as they’ve been my go-to for years. Awesome service and warranty service. Spoke to a CS rep yesterday for a price match with Blackcircles. She needed to confirm a few things and called me this morning. Although the tires would fit fine and the load rating is good, they wouldn’t be able to warranty the tires since the speed rating is too far off from the OEM tires. T rating for Conti’s at 190 km/hr….that plenty! Really dumb, but I understand their point. I’m a warranty guy so back to the drawing board.

Reactions: NB Hip fan
I was about to pull the trigger on the same tires. I like your set up. The rims came in yesterday and they’re beauties. The price was unreal.

I wanted to buy the Conti’s from Quattrotires as they’ve been my go-to for years. Awesome service and warranty service. Spoke to a CS rep yesterday for a price match with Blackcircles. She needed to confirm a few things and called me this morning. Although the tires would fit fine and the load rating is good, they wouldn’t be able to warranty the tires since the speed rating is too far off from the OEM tires. T rating for Conti’s at 190 km/hr….that plenty! Really dumb, but I understand their point. I’m a warranty guy so back to the drawing board.
Understood re speed rating / warranty. I’m usually in your camp, and to be honest, I usually buy my tires at Costco, but I figured for this price savings, I could replace one tire (buy a 5th one) and still save money so I’m rolling the dice a little vs my usual plan. Good luck. :)

Good to know that Quattro is willing to match Blackcircles price. I think the Viking 7's are going to be this years snows.

Fair enough. You and I are cut from the same cloth!
I agree - we seem to think alike! Lol

My latest thoughts are around this:
My round trip daily commute is 150-160km-ish. There is a charger at my work, but there are more and more EV’s, so charging at work is not guaranteed. In winter, I’m going to need every advantage possible to not be tight on range… so with that in mind, I’m wondering if I should actually put my winters on the original 18” wheels with Aero caps and then mount the OE tires on the R187 wheels for summer… that wasn’t my original intent, but might make sense as summer range should not be an issue… then again, longer trips will likely be in fairer weather - might want the better efficiency then. So I’m kinda on the fence… I haven’t been able to find any good info on range impact of the R187 wheels. Thoughts?

My round trip daily commute is 150-160km-ish. There is a charger at my work, but there are more and more EV’s, so charging at work is not guaranteed. In winter, I’m going to need every advantage possible to not be tight on range… so with that in mind, I’m wondering if I should actually put my winters on the original 18” wheels with Aero caps and then mount the OE tires on the R187 wheels for summer… that wasn’t my original intent, but might make sense as summer range should not be an issue… then again, longer trips will likely be in fairer weather - might want the better efficiency then. So I’m kinda on the fence… I haven’t been able to find any good info on range impact of the R187 wheels. Thoughts?
That is what a bunch of us are doing (though I am using Tsportline 18" which look the same as the R187s for the summer)

Gotta eek out every bit of efficiency for the winter

Again…I swear I was talking about this with my wife last night! I’m also undecided, but steering towards that decision.